collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the most Patriotic/American gun, to you???  (Read 9259 times)

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: What is the most Patriotic/American gun, to you???
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
So…

Which one is “most American”?
I gave this a bunch of thought today.  I think I vote for the Kentucky Long Rifle.  Before America, rifles were not common weapons.  German (or Swiss?) gunsmiths had invented rifling around 15th century, but only the fabulously wealthy could afford it.  Armies didn’t even carry rifles.  But in America, where people took the responsibility for their own sustenance and defense into their own hands out of necessity, there was a real need for the rifle.  German gunsmiths from Pennsylvania began producing relatively inexpensive rifles for people moving out “to the middle of nowhere” to make a living (an area nicknamed the “Ken-tuk-ee” in colonial times).  By the time of the American Revolution, there were thousands of these 100, 200 and 300 yard weapons in the hands of Americans.  Many of these backwoods types volunteered to fight the British.  Most of them were placed in units like “Morgan’s Rifles” and used as sharpshooters throughout the war.  At the Battle of Saratoga, Sergeant Timothy Murphy (one of Morgan’s Rifles) climbed a tree and placed an accurate shot on British General Simon Fraizer, allowing the American Army to overrun the battlefield and ultimately win the battle.  The victory at Saratoga was what brought the French to our side, without which we could not have won our independence.  One American.  One shot.  One rifle.

@Pathfinder101

This is my favorite post in a long time.  Thank you.

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2018, 09:55:34 AM »
I kinda screwed up and should have made these two separate questions so please feel free to post which gun everyone thinks is the most "Patriotic" and which one you think is the most "American".

The 1911 is still my #1 pick for most "American" because, to me, the 1911 just screams American and for most "Patriotic" I'd have to go with one of the Muskets from the revolutionary war.

If there was a most "Western" category, I've always liked the Winchester 94's, particularly the short Trapper models.  I have a couple Trappers, 357 & 44. 

The SAA are pretty Western and a very cool gun, too.

Online savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
The most patriotic gun is the one you have a costitutional right to bear.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
I am partial to these.   :tup: 

Go Mighty Mo. 

May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »

The Winchester Model 94- John Moses Browning’s version of the Winchester 73; the most prolific rifle ever made

What?

Offline BLR 243

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »
interesting thread. I'm gonna go with Winchester model 1892 25-20 Winchester 94 30-30 1911 and the AR's

Offline optic2

• Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
Committee of Safety rifles made in the USA during the Revolutionary war. Happy Birthday America and a big up yours to Britain. I'll enjoy not being put in prison for free speech.

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
winchester m94 30-30

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
The Brown Bess. I know someone who owns one.

After doing some reading, I found out that the Brown Bess was made by the British, even though it was widely used by the revolutionaries. So, I'm going to have to go with the Pennsylvania Rifle - long rifle.

The Brown Bess was a British Military Rifle.  The reason we had them was that we seized as many of the armories (Like the one at Concord) as we could at the outset of the war.  They are smoothbore muskets, accurate only to about 40 yards, the distance at which wars in Europe were fought.  If you showed up to join the Continental Army carrying your lunch pail and wearing buckled shoes, they put you in a blue uniform, handed you a Brown Bess and had you start drilling. 
But... If you showed up to join dressed in buckskins and carrying a Kentucky Long Rifle and smelling like woodsmoke, they left you looking pretty much the way you were and sent you over to Dan Morgan so you could run around in the woods with your 200 yard deer rifle and hunt for British officers to shoot. 
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »

The Winchester Model 94- John Moses Browning’s version of the Winchester 73; the most prolific rifle ever made

What?

Yes.  John Moses Browning was a young gun designer that went to work for Winchester when he was in his 20s (in the 1870s).  He had been tinkering with the Winchester 73 for years and kept improving it over and over (the '85 Winchester, the 86 Winchester, the 87 Winchester).  In 1894 he finally got it just the way he wanted it.  And that's pretty much the way it has stayed since 1894.  The 1894 Winchester lever action rifle has sold over 7 million rifles to date.  More than any other sporting arm in history, making it the "most prolific".
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
So…

Which one is “most American”?
I gave this a bunch of thought today.  I think I vote for the Kentucky Long Rifle.  Before America, rifles were not common weapons.  German (or Swiss?) gunsmiths had invented rifling around 15th century, but only the fabulously wealthy could afford it.  Armies didn’t even carry rifles.  But in America, where people took the responsibility for their own sustenance and defense into their own hands out of necessity, there was a real need for the rifle.  German gunsmiths from Pennsylvania began producing relatively inexpensive rifles for people moving out “to the middle of nowhere” to make a living (an area nicknamed the “Ken-tuk-ee” in colonial times).  By the time of the American Revolution, there were thousands of these 100, 200 and 300 yard weapons in the hands of Americans.  Many of these backwoods types volunteered to fight the British.  Most of them were placed in units like “Morgan’s Rifles” and used as sharpshooters throughout the war.  At the Battle of Saratoga, Sergeant Timothy Murphy (one of Morgan’s Rifles) climbed a tree and placed an accurate shot on British General Simon Fraizer, allowing the American Army to overrun the battlefield and ultimately win the battle.  The victory at Saratoga was what brought the French to our side, without which we could not have won our independence.  One American.  One shot.  One rifle.

@Pathfinder101

This is my favorite post in a long time.  Thank you.
Thanks Dan-o :tup:  Happy Independence Day!

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »

After doing some reading, I found out that the Brown Bess was made by the British, even though it was widely used by the revolutionaries. So, I'm going to have to go with the Pennsylvania Rifle - long rifle.

The Brown Bess was a British Military Rifle.  The reason we had them was that we seized as many of the armories (Like the one at Concord) as we could at the outset of the war.  They are smoothbore muskets, accurate only to about 40 yards, the distance at which wars in Europe were fought.  If you showed up to join the Continental Army carrying your lunch pail and wearing buckled shoes, they put you in a blue uniform, handed you a Brown Bess and had you start drilling. 
But... If you showed up to join dressed in buckskins and carrying a Kentucky Long Rifle and smelling like woodsmoke, they left you looking pretty much the way you were and sent you over to Dan Morgan so you could run around in the woods with your 200 yard deer rifle and hunt for British officers to shoot.

But if you were truly gifted you got to serve under Rogers.

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »

But if you were truly gifted you got to serve under Rogers.
Rogers was on our side during the French and Indian War.  In the Revolution he actually fought for the British.  He led the Queen's Rangers for a time.  Kind of a British/American auxiliary unit that did the same thing as Morgan's Rifles.  He was one of America's most dangerous adversaries.   

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »

What?

Yes.  John Moses Browning was a young gun designer that went to work for Winchester when he was in his 20s (in the 1870s).  He had been tinkering with the Winchester 73 for years and kept improving it over and over (the '85 Winchester, the 86 Winchester, the 87 Winchester).  In 1894 he finally got it just the way he wanted it.  And that's pretty much the way it has stayed since 1894.  The 1894 Winchester lever action rifle has sold over 7 million rifles to date.  More than any other sporting arm in history, making it the "most prolific".

I watched a documentary about Browning, it was very good, he really did a lot for our military too.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »
Way more 870's sold(about 13million) than 94's if your number is correct. I think I'd choose the 1911 for cartridge development, machining, design longevity, and use across the world it is sort of a symbol of America. Lots of good ideas tho.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal