collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thoughts on this guys advice for blacktail?  (Read 6120 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Thoughts on this guys advice for blacktail?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 10:45:23 PM »
 :yeah:  Take that as gospel.  Jakeland is a master BT hunter.  I take notes when he speaks. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »

There are random cut straight aways that look almost mowed. I think there is a pipe line or something that cuts through, no clear markers though. On my hunt on X app its all DNR land so I have no idea what these cuts are for. Makes for some nice visibility and easy still hunting.

BTW - I know of one similar strip of well maintained land which I believe is a gas pipeline.  It is somewhat similar to the pole-line roads used for local and BPA power lines, but instead of a lot of brush under power lines, this has grass.  I've seen a few doe use the strip in a couple different locations, so hunting a spot like that may not be a terrible idea, especially once the bucks are out searching or chasing.  Remember though that you should be absolutely hidden if you are out in the open trying to hunt a spot like that.  A quick detour into the dark woods on either side of an opening like that will immediately  display how visible a hunter is waiting out in the open (to an animal approaching from within the woods).  Deer normally stop inside the edge and spend time checking out an opening before they step out, so anything amiss will cause them to go the other way.  Hunting from inside the edge where you are hidden but can see a long distance sounds like a preferable situation. 

Scouting is as important here as elsewhere.  A lot of good sign might indicate that the area is worth spending time during the season.  As Humptulips suggested, finding an area with a lot of deer now drastically increases your chances of success during the season.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 10:03:41 AM »
I think I've got a pretty good idea where you're hunting. I'm not sure but there's really only one place that Blacktail hunters new to Kitsap go  :rolleyes:  I hunt private land behind my house but feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll talk you through some good public spots. I would assume you're probably going to GM which undoubtedly has some good spots, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pretty busy during the season.
My best advice for learning about the deer and spending time in the woods is to get an archery tag. Honestly the amount of time you get to hunt is hugely beneficial to learning about the animals, and there is generally less hunting pressure. Does this mean no one will ever be at your gate ? No, but I think it does give you more freedom away from other hunting pressure. It sounds like you've got a tag so the archery advice may have to wait until next year, but please still PM me and I'll try and point you in some good directions.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
I listen to his advice very closely, and think he is spot on. The exception being the size of tree and the elevation. In alot of lower elevations I don't know if it's the food that draws them in, but something does. Regardlessr where I am I key in on the most mature vegetation in the area. Maybe it's 100 year old trees, maybe its 20. Doesn't matter, that's where I start and usually turn up mature buck sign.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 10:48:39 PM »
...interesting. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]