collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Serious DIY elk hunters for all western states  (Read 3143 times)

Offline hoytxl2009

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Serious DIY elk hunters for all western states
« on: July 08, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
As I’ve been told by my wife I’m not getting any younger. Just hit the dirty 30 a few days ago, but luckily my line of work and high energy keeps me up to par to chase elk in the nastiest places they like to frequent. Grew up in NE Oregon and currently live in Washington. Have hunted and chased elk since I was 12.

My preparation and research for a hunt can be extensive and annoy the hell out of my wife. I spend a lot of time on GoHunt and fish and game websites researching and learning as much as I can. I have bought and acquired a lot of ranger district maps for most areas I’m interested in. Most of them are $5 a piece. I do both archery and rifle. Recently I have been getting things geared up to apply and cordinate a lot of western hunts including WY,MT,NV,UT,NM,and AZ. I Already hunt WA,OR, and ID a lot and play there point game. I have 1 point for WY currently. Currently I’m trying to draw a Unit 18 ID tag and do OTC if not selected.

My style of elk hunting is unorthodox, but aggressive. I don’t do a lot of hunting near a pickup, but will if the pressure is low and elk are around, but I still prefer extended overnights trips. I have bought and sold a lot of gear finding the right nich that fits my hunting style. I’m either mobile with a 35lb pack or heavy with a 50lb pack when I’m spiking out. The heavy hunt I always have my SO stove and JT floorless TP. I’m either glassing when Rifle is in hand or calling and moving fast when bow is in hand.

The problem with most my hunting partners is not that they don’t like to hunt. They just don’t seem into as much as myself. That includes all the E scouting, reasearch, application process, planning, backup planning, etc. I’ve grown tired of doing all the research necessary then last minute everyone pilling in the truck and I’m the only one that has a plan. My next issue is they don’t want to spend the money or time on the gear required for these style of hunts and generally are miserable after the first night and want to return to the truck. These styles I feel just throw a wrench in my attitude, and plans. This also subsequently throws all my summer planning out the window. A lot of that time is taken away from my family for nothing.

Finding people that are interested in this the same as myself has proven to be very difficult. Which I never thought would be difficult. In my experience so far most guys can talk the talk, but not walk the walk. I run into guys on the river every year fishing that seem interested, but after chatting further you find out they are only interested In learning about it or just getting started at it. Which is Great! And I have no problem teaching, but having a hunting group that is already in tune with this is invaluable. There are a lot of things that I can learn and become better on, but will never achieve those goals with guys that are just getting into the backcountry game or are interested in learning about it. I got nothing wrong with road camps and hunting behind a different gate every morning. Those guys probably kill more critters then me every year anyway, but its just not the style that I have a addiction to.

I’m interested in chatting with a few of you gents that have a group already with a open slot, or a Lone Ranger struggling similar to myself that is already in tune with the things I described above. PM me and lets see if the shoe fits. I’m able to take almost a month off in the fall. So typically I would do 2 weeks in September and 2 in October. Ultimate goal in 3 states a year and all necessary planning involved. If I don’t draw anything special Idaho and Oregon are on my list every year. By next year WY will be a every other if I can draw the general special draw consistently.

Best Regard Gents! Looking forward to hearing from a few of you.

Offline wbhinton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: SCI
Re: Serious DIY elk hunters for all western states
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »
PM'ed

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hoytxl2009

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
I’m located in Orting. Might be in the Graham area soon if all goes well.

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
Hey, I just share some of my observations. 1st off I am not the hunting partner you are looking for. 2nd there maybe someone that would do. 3rd There are only so many sunsets left.

I have been through what you are dealing with. Do not let a "hunting partner" or lack of one slow you down. At 30 you are in your prime. When I was younger I had a couple of really great hunting partners (and these guys are still hard core). I have also had the talkers, the half in shape, the guys who show up only for the hunt, who nerve put any work in. One who says he likes to hunt, but doesn't want to hunt alone, yet puts in for differnt stuff.

I have hunted with folks that just camp together the each "hunts their hunt". You know the guys that don't want to go up the hill. And that can be OK as long as everyone knows that is the deal. They maybe around to help you pack out or they may quit early and go home. I had one falling out just because someone wanted a second cup of coffee and to take a dump. People slow to get out of the bag, don't get up until you are heading out. The very worse thing you can do once this situation developes is to care. Move on, go hunting.

My 1st collage course was Sheep and Brown bear hunting at the U of A. part of the course was about partners. Don't ever just go hunting with some one and then end up hating them and runing your own hunt. The way Joe Want suggest was develope the relationship go fishing for a couple of hours, go fishing for a day, go fishing and camping for three days figuring that if you can stand each other for three days you might make it for a week to two weeks of hunting.

It is realling great when each person has the same level of goal. Hey, got to go. Short Bio on me I am 61. Just about everything I have every killed I have been by myself. I know it sound like a brag, but I killed three Moose and two caribou before I ever killed a deer. My first deer was with an arrow. Killed five Moose, the biggest was with an arrow. Two MT. Goats on my own. First Elk arrowed a five yards (Good Lord looking over me) I have only killed four elk. Real brag Grandsons killed first deers at 248 yds in E. WA. Don't let others slow you down hunting partners are nice, but not necessary. Paul
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
Good Stuff !  But I wouldn't trade all the elk in Colorado for the great wall tent camp times with buddies over the years.    :tup: On looking for a like minded hunter to share the adventures.

Offline hoytxl2009

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »
Hey, I just share some of my observations. 1st off I am not the hunting partner you are looking for. 2nd there maybe someone that would do. 3rd There are only so many sunsets left.

I have been through what you are dealing with. Do not let a "hunting partner" or lack of one slow you down. At 30 you are in your prime. When I was younger I had a couple of really great hunting partners (and these guys are still hard core). I have also had the talkers, the half in shape, the guys who show up only for the hunt, who nerve put any work in. One who says he likes to hunt, but doesn't want to hunt alone, yet puts in for differnt stuff.

I have hunted with folks that just camp together the each "hunts their hunt". You know the guys that don't want to go up the hill. And that can be OK as long as everyone knows that is the deal. They maybe around to help you pack out or they may quit early and go home. I had one falling out just because someone wanted a second cup of coffee and to take a dump. People slow to get out of the bag, don't get up until you are heading out. The very worse thing you can do once this situation developes is to care. Move on, go hunting.

My 1st collage course was Sheep and Brown bear hunting at the U of A. part of the course was about partners. Don't ever just go hunting with some one and then end up hating them and runing your own hunt. The way Joe Want suggest was develope the relationship go fishing for a couple of hours, go fishing for a day, go fishing and camping for three days figuring that if you can stand each other for three days you might make it for a week to two weeks of hunting.

It is realling great when each person has the same level of goal. Hey, got to go. Short Bio on me I am 61. Just about everything I have every killed I have been by myself. I know it sound like a brag, but I killed three Moose and two caribou before I ever killed a deer. My first deer was with an arrow. Killed five Moose, the biggest was with an arrow. Two MT. Goats on my own. First Elk arrowed a five yards (Good Lord looking over me) I have only killed four elk. Real brag Grandsons killed first deers at 248 yds in E. WA. Don't let others slow you down hunting partners are nice, but not necessary. Paul

Awesome reply thank you. I completely understand what you say and you made some very good points I didn’t consider. Good rap sheet on harvested animals also. Never took a course on bears, but they sure like my salmon every time i visit Alaska! Smart little *censored*s.

Offline hoytxl2009

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »
Good Stuff !  But I wouldn't trade all the elk in Colorado for the great wall tent camp times with buddies over the years.    :tup: On looking for a like minded hunter to share the adventures.

I agree elk camp with dad was awesome. Unfortunately when i have the comfort of camp and company a few too many drinks happen every night and hunting moral goes down. To each his own I say! I guess a flask of blackberry brandy and my little titanium wood stove will have to do.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »

:yeah:

This is what hunting is all about.  Friends and family!  Not just the harvest.  Seems hard to find these type of folks around here though.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline flemdogg

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
Pm'd
These are my express opinions derived from my experiences - I know less than most and half as much as some!

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
HuntersOnly.com

Non hunters just don't get it!!!!!!

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
HuntersOnly.com

:chuckle:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline hoytxl2009

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 07:56:54 AM »
HuntersOnly.com

Million dollar idea!

Offline Figboot74

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
Too bad I am on the west side. I too have these same feelings about my former hunting partners. The problem I have solo hunting is I lose drive easily. With a partner we seem to keep pushing each other a bit further. After scaling near vertical rocks and roots chasing a bear we could hear, my buddy and I spooked him and never got sight of him. Afterwards I asked him  if he would have gone on that climb if he was hunting solo. He said probably not. I felt the same. I have done my fair share of hunting. I also attempted a thru hike of the Appalachian trail. I made it 1600 miles or so before a foot injury. I have all the gear I need to live in the woods for a while. I typically like to pack in and set up basecamp and hunt out of it. I bowhunt, muzzleload and rifle hunt. I also have a couple canoes for float hunts. Life is best when spent outdoors.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:53:06 PM by Figboot74 »

Offline hoytxl2009

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 05:34:54 PM »
Too bad I am on the west side. I too have these same feelings about my former hunting partners. The problem I have solo hunting is I lose drive easily. With a partner we seem to keep pushing each other a bit further. After scaling near vertical rocks and roots chasing a bear we could hear, my buddy and I spooked him and never got sight of him. Afterwards I asked him  if he would have gone on that climb if he was hunting solo. He said probably not. I felt the same. I have done my fair share of hunting. I also attempted a thru hike of the Appalachian trail. I made it 1600 miles or so before a foot injury. I have all the gear I need to live in the woods for a while. I typically like to pack in and set up basecamp and hunt out of it. I bowhunt, muzzleload and rifle hunt. I also have a couple canoes for float hunts. Life is best when spent outdoors.
Agreed! I have always hunted harder and went into places I typically wouldn’t if i had someone that helps push each other’s ideas. I suppose it’s different for every person, but I’m the exact same way.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]