collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hornady ELD-X????  (Read 6856 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Hornady ELD-X????
« on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »
Well, does anyone have experience with the ELD-X bullets from hornady?  Looking for the good bad and indifferent as it pertains to performance on game. 

I loaded some for the first time and preliminary results are promising.  300 win mag 212 grain ELD-X pushed by 76.5 grains of H1000 and a 5 shot group printed a .71" group.  With a little tweaking I may get it smaller but to be totally honest, I would be happy with what it did tonight if it repeats at 200, 300, etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

jrebel

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Hornady ELD-X????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:24:10 PM »
I’ve killed many animals last couple years with them. From tiny black buck to elk. Been very happy with them so far. I still prefer my accubond but I have a couple rifles that just love them. So been shooting some critters with them. 143eldx at 3250 has done most the work including 2 elk.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:19 PM »
Very similar on game performance to bergers.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »
6.5 Creedmore and the 140 ELD-X work FANTASTIC on coyotes. as long as you don't want to save the hide. I will let you know this fall how Bear like them
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
Been running the 200’s in my 300 rum they are super easy to load for and perform similar to bergers on game. I switched to the 212’s I can see how many 200’s I have left if you would be interested

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »

It worked great on my bear.  Fell out the opposite shoulder as I was skinning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »
Been running the 200’s in my 300 rum they are super easy to load for and perform similar to bergers on game. I switched to the 212’s I can see how many 200’s I have left if you would be interested

Appreciat the offer but if the 212's keep performing, I will stick with them.  I hope to be hunting moose and bear with this rifle so the heavier the better. 

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »
I had really wanted them to work but had crap luck with them in my 28 Nosler, and I tried everything I could think of to make them shoot. Best I got was 2” and 3-4” was pretty typical. Switched to ABLRs and had much better luck, though as mentioned in the other thread they are a bit finicky.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
I've only shot a couple groups so far with 178 grain in my Weatherby Vanguard 30/06 and they shot fantastic. Will see how they perform on deer and antelope in September.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »
Haven't used them on game yet but i loaded 220 for 300 rum and 200 for the win mag. I read great things but don't know to compare to bergers as a lot of reviews are not good for bergers.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
Haven't used them on game yet but i loaded 220 for 300 rum and 200 for the win mag. I read great things but don't know to compare to bergers as a lot of reviews are not good for bergers.
from what I seen the guys that don’t like begets are shoulder punchers. Not vitals shooters.  Never had a Berger fail my self.  Drt    just my experience.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:03:00 PM »
from what I seen the guys that don’t like begets are shoulder punchers. Not vitals shooters.  Never had a Berger fail my self.  Drt    just my experience.

I was thinking you need to hit bone to get them to expand ?  So many horror stories out there just haven't tried Bergers and after York's terminal expansion tests where they failed to expand at all I've stayed away.  Good to hear they work for some.  Not to derail this eld thread but comparisons are valuable. 

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 11:09:05 PM »
 :tup: I've read that the Berger's are a bullet that is not forgiving with distance and speed variables to fast fail,too slow fail.  :dunno: I've read also that the eld-x is totally opposite.they work well fast and slower that's why i want to try them this season on deer .300 win mag and elk .300 rum.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »
 :yeah: That is what the big appeal is. The two elk I shot were good test for range. One was at 50 yard and one at 470-480. Both had solid results. The close one I really doubted at 3200 fps figured it would vaporize but held together enough for a good kill.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 05:26:44 AM »
I just wonder how many of those “horror story’s” were target bullets, or were before there was a difference between the 2.  I have not shot any of the Hornady eld but hear a lot about them.  Reason I don’t shoot Hornady is the inconsistency I’ve seen in the ones I have shot.  Maybe one day I will try them but for now I’ll stick to what works for me.  To be fair about it every game animal I’ve taken has been less than 200 yards and 90% have been less than 50.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal