collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice related to Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 5.7 4x4 purchase  (Read 7563 times)

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
Re: Advice related to Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 5.7 4x4 purchase
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 09:50:44 PM »
Thank you to all who responded to the questions.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
I've had my 2010 Crewmax Platinum w/80k miles for about 3 months now and I'm very impressed with everything. Interior is well above what I deserve. Average fuel mileage I've been getting is about 14.7-15.5 based on fill ups. I have a huge gas tank, not sure exactly of the capacity but I've put 33-35 gallons in it a couple of times.
Tows great, I have the tow package on it with brake controller.
The 5.7 has plenty power, that's for sure. That said I would buy a diesel if I was towing often and would recommend a 3/4-1 ton truck. This is my 2nd Tundra and I will buy a newer one around 2025.

Offline gee_unit360

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »
I have a 2017 Crew Max TRD Limited.  It is my 3rd Tundra, no issues with any.  Mine has the 31 gal tank, I'm averaging 15.2mpg (actual check, not the computer).  I love the power, tow occasionally.  Great trucks, I'll get another one some day.

I’m 2017 they make a 38 and a 26 gallon fuel tank, however on the 38 it only lets you use 30 to 31 gallons before your fuel tank reads empty. Supposedly because it’s a submerged fuel filter in the gas tank. You actually have another 8 gallons to burn when it reads empty, but I’m not sure what it would do to the vehicle.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »
The Tundra has the old skool 5.7L V8 and the extremely short gears, as already mentioned, 4.10.
Makes you think it has power but it's really just making the most of the torque with high revs and short gearing.
The reason you see so many lifted Toyotas is because the rear suspension is pathetic, at best.
Most Tundras have airbags or Timbrens.  No way can you use it like a truck without one or the other.
I just bought an F150 after 9 years of Toyota 'quality'.
The F150 is so much better in every way....Power, ride quality, capacity, quiet, it's just generations ahead....Literally.
Buy a Toyota for the look.  Buy a Ford if you need a truck.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »
We had an 08 Tundra...put a 5th wheel hitch in it. Pulled our small 5th wheel camper great. Motor/tranny combo seemed to work very well together. LOTS of power with the 5.7. Great truck, got tired of the payment.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »
I have a 2012 I bought new. Had kids on the way so I wanted the giant back seat they have. No complaints about the truck. I will be selling it very soon to go back to a full size diesel so I can upgrade the boat next

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
Just sold my reliable 2008 tundra that i bought new.   Just had to replace the water pump and the rear calibers and that wasit.   I have towed 7500 comfortably with it but my new 10,500 lb trailer was too much so i bought a 2007 ram diesel.  I still miss my tundra though!

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
The Tundra has the old skool 5.7L V8 and the extremely short gears, as already mentioned, 4.10.
Makes you think it has power but it's really just making the most of the torque with high revs and short gearing.
The reason you see so many lifted Toyotas is because the rear suspension is pathetic, at best.
Most Tundras have airbags or Timbrens.  No way can you use it like a truck without one or the other.
The F150 is so much better in every way....Power, ride quality, capacity, quiet, it's just generations ahead....Literally.

By a F-150 if you want it to break down after 100,000 Miles. There’s a reason Toyota has the highest re-sale value.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »
I have a 2017 Crew Max TRD Limited.  It is my 3rd Tundra, no issues with any.  Mine has the 31 gal tank, I'm averaging 15.2mpg (actual check, not the computer).  I love the power, tow occasionally.  Great trucks, I'll get another one some day.

I’m 2017 they make a 38 and a 26 gallon fuel tank, however on the 38 it only lets you use 30 to 31 gallons before your fuel tank reads empty. Supposedly because it’s a submerged fuel filter in the gas tank. You actually have another 8 gallons to burn when it reads empty, but I’m not sure what it would do to the vehicle.
Ah, yes you are correct.  My window sticker says 38 gal, however when "empty" it takes 31 gal.  I'm not going to try the extra 7.  What also cracks me up is people comparing their 3/4 and 1 ton diesels to the Tundra.  Yes of course your diesel is going to tow more and have a higher load capacity.  We're talking apples and oranges.  Don't get all defensive because a gas engine 1/2 ton is right behind in performance.  And I have towed a 8,700 LB boat and gear with mine from Castle Rock to LaPush and back and it did a really good job.  Would I want to tow a 10,000 LB load all the time?  No!  But for the occasional towing of heavy things it does just fine.

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »

By a F-150 if you want it to break down after 100,000 Miles. There’s a reason Toyota has the highest re-sale value.

Fanboy Kool-Aid.

Funny....I worked at a dealership and drove many 100k+ F150s and they are a testament to real quality and engineering. 
Every Tundra we sold had Timbrens or airbags or boy-racer lift kits and were completely underwhelming.
You might want to check on some pretty significant quality issues on the national recall database....Just minor issues like frames rusting and breaking, bed rust, you know....stuff that makes a truck a truck.
Notice how many work trucks are Toyota?....
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »

Ah, yes you are correct.  My window sticker says 38 gal, however when "empty" it takes 31 gal.  I'm not going to try the extra 7.  What also cracks me up is people comparing their 3/4 and 1 ton diesels to the Tundra.  Yes of course your diesel is going to tow more and have a higher load capacity.  We're talking apples and oranges.  Don't get all defensive because a gas engine 1/2 ton is right behind in performance.  And I have towed a 8,700 LB boat and gear with mine from Castle Rock to LaPush and back and it did a really good job.  Would I want to tow a 10,000 LB load all the time?  No!  But for the occasional towing of heavy things it does just fine.

This looks like apples to apples  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/half-ton-shootout-5-trucks-5-days-1-winner/

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
I bought a 2008 Tundra Double Cab, TRD package, new....and now have 223,000 miles on it. Still my daily driver, and would not hesitate to drive anywhere with it. It has spent probably half its life on gravel, and is an awesome machine. 5.7 has pulled a 26' travel trailer all over the country, with plenty of power, and has never burned a drop of oil. Yes, the mileage is poor when towing....so are most trucks. Here is the difference I have found.....line up any Dodge, Ford, Or Chevy with 223,000 miles on them, and drive them down a gravel road. Hear that? Oh yea....rattles and squeaks....the Tundra, same solid sound as the day it was new. Everybody has their favorite, and what's important to them, just saying you can't go wrong with the Tundra.....

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »

This looks like apples to apples  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/half-ton-shootout-5-trucks-5-days-1-winner/
If you read that whole thing, you would have read that the Tundra that Toyota sent was not equipped set up for towing (for some reason) as the rest of them.  They should have run the test for 5 years then sold them and seen which one had the highest resale value. 😁

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »
https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/truckin-every-full-size-pickup-truck-ranked-from-worst-to-best#1
Toyota Fanboys will not like this...
So Car and Driver (a Michigan based company) ranked GM and Ford (also Michigan based) above everything else........ WEIRD!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]