collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice related to Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 5.7 4x4 purchase  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
Re: Advice related to Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 5.7 4x4 purchase
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »
first test I have seen showing the Silverado with the 6.2 instead of the 5.3. I tested a 6.2 and love the Silverado owned several of them, it is a nice truck. The Tundra is a great truck but it is due for a redesign.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »
I love my F150, but it is road loud and I can tell it’s aged.  I like the aluminum Fords, but the ride just isn’t what we see in other trucks.  I grew up with Chevy.

First truck, 1985 F150 4x4, standard cab, 4sp.  I paid $13,875 for it with under 200 mi.
Second truck, 1989 Chevy K1500 shortbox extended cab 4x4, auto.  I paid $18k and got $13K for the Ford.  Yes, I had tricked the Ford out, but my friend owned the Chevy dealership and it just killed him that I was racing Ford cars, beating him, and towing with a Ford.
Third truck, this Ford that I have right now.

Yes, I put miles on my trucks.  I tow with my trucks, but I don’t beat them up.  I go through mud, snow, hunt, haul, tow, etc.  I love my trucks.  Utilitarian, the main reason.  That said, most of them are not designed for a female to enjoy the ride.  They are built for guys.  I’m at the age, my truck needs to do simple tasks, but it needs to give comfort to the riders.  With three grown children, I want the extra cab space and will sacrifice the bed space, as I have a 12’ utility trailer.  I want to tow my 24’ Travel trailer, but I don’t tow it as much as it has been outlinedor as others responded.  It goes to IA, MN, SD, MT, CO, and a few other places, but not every month or even every other month.

I appreciate the feedback shared.  I don’t want a diesel, even though I know the fuel mileage and power is better.  I want more motor than a 305, 4.7, etc.  I like space, which is why the Crew Max is appealing.  I’ve not been a Dodge fan, but that Spacecab model is huge.  I do want a tranny cooler and tow package that is built-in.  I’m looking at various ages 2007-2014.  I don’t really want an East coast, CA, or salt laden truck.im not all that picky about color, fabric/leather, or options.  It will be a daily driver, so fuel/mileage is a factor.

Again, thanks for sharing.  Please continue, it’s helping when it’s constructive.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 07:54:53 AM »
I have spent many hours behind the wheel of them all for work (f150, silverado 1500, nissan titan). When I drive my POV (18 tundra crewmax, 14 Tundra double cab before that) its refreshing to say the least. I went with the 4.6 engine as I don't ever tow. I can't see spending the crazy money on anything but a tundra. My only advice would be to stick with the crewmax and to go buy a new one. It will hurt but it will last you the next twenty plus years. They are not as expensive as you think if you deal with the right dealers. I made drives to toyota olympia and dick hannah in kelso to get my deal made and saved around 6k over buying one in King Co where I live. It takes time playing the email game and working the dealers against eachother but you can save quite a bit of cash.

Used tundras are going to run you within a few thousand of jusy ponying up and buying a new one because of the insane resale value.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/truckin-every-full-size-pickup-truck-ranked-from-worst-to-best#1
Toyota Fanboys will not like this...
So Car and Driver (a Michigan based company) ranked GM and Ford (also Michigan based) above everything else........ WEIRD!

Not sure where US News and World Report is located but.....https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/full-size-pickup-trucks

Edmunds?https://www.edmunds.com/truck/articles/best-pickup-trucks/#full-size-trucks

Kelly Blue Book might know a little something about trucks and the truck market...
For four years straight, the Ford F-150 has taken the pickup truck honors in our Best Buys competition. And, for four years straight, nobody else has come close to toppling it. https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/best-buy-awards-pickup-truck/2000011406/
OK, now this is just getting too easyhttp://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Initial-Quality-Study-%28IQS%29-by-Make/4171ENG/Non-Premium/3470
I can't bully Toyota Fanboys much more today.
I'm just glad I sold my Tacoma when I did.  The evidence is piling up.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »
I recently just picked up a used 2014 5.7 double cab 4x4 SR5 trim Tundra with a longbed, the truck had 57k miles on it. I have a 5k lb boat that the truck doesn't even care when I'm pulling it. The truck also has tow mode and an engine chiller and is rated to tow at 10,500 lbs. I drove quite a few other trucks before I purchased it and the top runner up was the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 but I couldn't get over how choppy the acceleration was on them compared to the Tundra's. Additionally, I wanted a gen 3 Tundra over the gen 2, which made me look at only 2014 and newer.

As far as resale, I sold my 2002 Tacoma 4x4 TRD, which had 215,000 miles and was beat to a pulp for almost $10k. I was able to pick up my new truck for $27k after taxes from Parker Toyota in Idaho.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/?r=422825089852208450

Depends on where you look what info you get, according to Kelly Blue Book the FIRST THREE VEHICLES for resale are all from Toyota.

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 05:04:36 PM »
I recently just picked up a used 2014 5.7 double cab 4x4 SR5 trim Tundra with a longbed, the truck had 57k miles on it. I have a 5k lb boat that the truck doesn't even care when I'm pulling it. The truck also has tow mode and an engine chiller and is rated to tow at 10,500 lbs. I drove quite a few other trucks before I purchased it and the top runner up was the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 but I couldn't get over how choppy the acceleration was on them compared to the Tundra's. Additionally, I wanted a gen 3 Tundra over the gen 2, which made me look at only 2014 and newer.

As far as resale, I sold my 2002 Tacoma 4x4 TRD, which had 215,000 miles and was beat to a pulp for almost $10k. I was able to pick up my new truck for $27k after taxes from Parker Toyota in Idaho.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/?r=422825089852208450

Depends on where you look what info you get, according to Kelly Blue Book the FIRST THREE VEHICLES for resale are all from Toyota.
Remember, resale is based on the 'greater fool theory'.
How would you like to be the sucker that bought a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 TRD, which had 215,000 miles and was beat to a pulp for almost $10k?
The greater fool theory states that the price of an object is determined not by its intrinsic value, but rather by irrational beliefs and expectations of market participants. A price can be justified by a rational buyer under the belief that another party is willing to pay an even higher price.

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 05:06:31 PM »
@thinkingman

You sure like Toyotas, don't you? :chuckle:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
@thinkingman

When I'm selling one, sure!
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »
@thinkingman

I know right it's harder to sell a truck that doesn't run. I'll keep driving my Toyotas, you can keep pushing your whatevers.

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
@thinkingman

I know right it's harder to sell a truck that doesn't run. I'll keep driving my Toyotas, you can keep pushing your whatevers.

Right now I''m pushing Toyota to reimburse me for the rear suspension I had to replace on my 'incredible, amazing, can't go wrong' Tacoma.
5 years after I told them the rear springs lost arch and were garbage, they issued a recall(Do they issue recalls for amazing vehicles?)and now they don't want to reimburse me for fixing their problem.
That's what I'm pushing right now.
Thankfully, I didn't have to deal with the frame rust replacement recall, my frame didn't have a full 10cm perforation, which would have meant a total frame replacement.
I could list all the POS Toyota issues with that vehicle if you'd like.
I'd be concerned about the Tundra bed rust recall right now, if I were you.
― Bertrand Russell

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »
I have a 2017 Tundra. It has been a great truck so far for me. I only have 15,000 miles on it however. The Tundra has a great track record since it has had the same power train since 2007. The 5.7 is a very solid engine and I know multiple people that have over 200K miles on theirs.

As far as the off road package, it adds bilstien shocks, different wheels and nice AT tires. On the 2014 and up Tundras it also adds the 38 gallon gas tank. This is a must if you have the 5.7L. The LSD is an “auto LSD” so it functions using the brakes like traction control. It does work pretty good but isn’t a true LSD. You can turn traction control all the way off by hold the atrac button down for like 30 seconds. That is a nice feature to have if you’re in a situation where slipping is good.

As far as the towing package goes, you get an additional transmission cooler (although that may be standard with the 5.7 I'm not sure). The included brake controller kind of sucks. I have never successfully used mine. I would recommend getting a tekonsha p3 and the ESP mouting kit that puts it in the same location as the factory.

For packages it depends on the features you want. I think limited is the best bang for your buck. The 1794 has different leather and more chrome like the king ranch basically. The platinum comes with some different options as well. I don’t know the packages in the big 3 line up to compare them too but limited adds dual climate control, leather, blind spot monitoring and some more tech that the SR5 does not come with. Check out Tundras.com for more information there is a ton of good stuff on there.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
@thinkingman

(Do they issue recalls for amazing vehicles?)

Probably the most asinine statement I’ve ever read on HW.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »
@thinkingman

(Do they issue recalls for amazing vehicles?)

Probably the most asinine statement I’ve ever read on HW.
'Can't go wrong with a Toyota' is a close second.
― Bertrand Russell

Offline SniperDanWA

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
Nutntoit and Wetwoodshunter

Thank you both for your responses to my request. I appreciate the insight, info, background too.  I’m still looking for the right truck.  I did take my F150 into the shop and did a major service.  Basically, I have a new front end.  If I still buy, my daughter will get this one for Montana driving.  I’m not convinced that I want the Crewmax Cab now.  There is plenty of room in the Double Cab and the box is longer.  I was sure that having the bigger doors and more rear seat room was necessary, but now I’m second guessing that position.  Add to that, I drop the price by $3-5K too.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline Ryannibarger09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 09:57:47 AM »
Have a 16' Crewmax limited and love it.  Have always had fords and chevys before this.  Will never go back.  Tow occasionally and I get a bit above 15mpg. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]