collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nevada's New Trail Camera Regulation  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Wahoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Nevada's New Trail Camera Regulation
« on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
Just released by Nevada Department of Wildlife. I wonder if other states will follow?

NEW TRAIL CAMERA REGULATION NOW IN EFFECT
Nevada outdoor enthusiasts,

The Nevada Department of Wildlife wants to ensure that all outdoor enthusiasts are aware of the new seasonal restrictions on the use of trail cameras.   

Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada. The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission. The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate. 

Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data.  New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras.  Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues.  The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts.  Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.

The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the land owner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31.  The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.

NDOW recognizes that there are wholesome and legitimate uses of trail cameras, and unfortunately the use of cameras have been exploited far beyond most sportsmen’s definition of reasonable. If you come across a trail camera on public land from August 1 to December 31, NDOW is asking that you leave the camera alone, and consider calling an NDOW office to report its location.

You can view the complete adopted regulation here.

Sincerely,

Nevada Department of Wildlife

Posted on 7/12/2018 02:25:46 PM

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Nevada's New Trail Camera Regulation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
TLDR?
No cams from 8-1 thru 12-31.

"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard, or even thought of, the commercialization of GPS data based on trail cam pics. Kinda sad.

Offline Wahoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:49:04 PM »
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180713/e45036b9f96a36bc2929f02f43b473fa.jpg[/IMG

Here are a couple TC pics from my Nevada hunt last year.  The big bucks in the group would never show up on camera, but if I had the smaller bucks during the night on camera, they would all be feeding in the chaining at first light (including a couple 190” plus deer) The bigger bucks learned to drink out of the tank overflow, back in the brush and stay off camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull