collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nevada's New Trail Cam Law  (Read 4452 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Nevada's New Trail Cam Law
« on: July 15, 2018, 10:48:18 PM »
Nevada's New Trail Cam Law
http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/ndow.org/Content/Our_Agency/News/Articles/R012-16A%20-%20Trail%20Cameras.pdf

ADOPTED REGULATION OF THE
BOARD OF WILDLIFE COMMISSIONERS
LCB File No. R012-16
EXPLANATION – Matter in italics is new; matter in brackets [omitted material] is material to be omitted.
AUTHORITY: §1, NRS 501.105 and 501.181.

A REGULATION relating to wildlife; prohibiting a person from placing, maintaining or using a trail camera or similar device under certain circumstances; providing exceptions; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.

Legislative Counsel’s Digest:

Existing law requires the Board of Wildlife Commissioners:
 (1) to establish policies and adopt regulations necessary to preserve, protect, manage and restore wildlife and its habitat; and
 (2) in establishing such policies and adopting such regulations, to consider first the recommendations of the Department of Wildlife, the county advisory boards to manage wildlife and other persons who present their views at an open meeting of the Commission. (NRS 501.105) Existing law also requires the Commission to adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of title 45 of NRS governing wildlife, including, without limitation, the manner and means of taking wildlife.

(NRS 501.181)

This regulation prohibits, with certain exceptions, a person from placing, maintaining or using a trail camera or similar device:
 (1) at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year;
 (2) at any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device transmits, or is capable of
transmitting, images, video or location data of wildlife; or
 (3) at any time if the placement, maintenance or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source or artificial basin that is used by wildlife and collects, or is designed and constructed to collect, water.

Section 1. Chapter 503 of NAC is hereby amended by adding thereto a new section to read as follows:

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person shall not place, maintain or use a trail camera or similar device:
 (a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year.
 (b) At any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device transmits, or is capable of transmitting, images, video or location data of wildlife.
 (c) At any time if the placement, maintenance or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source or artificial basin which is used by wildlife and collects, or is designed and constructed to collect, water.

2. The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to:
 (a) A person who is acting within the scope of his or her official duties, has clearly marked each trail camera or similar device to be used to indicate ownership and is:
 (1) An employee or authorized agent of this State;
 (2) An employee or authorized agent of a municipal or county government of this State;
or
 (3) An employee or authorized agent of the Federal Government.
 (b) A person who places, maintains or uses the trail camera or similar device with approval from the Department.
 (c) A person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera or similar device on private property with the permission of the landowner.
 (d) A person who places, maintains or uses a trail camera or similar device to monitor the use by livestock of any water source described in paragraph (c) of subsection 1 if the owner of
the trail camera or similar device is the holder of a permit to appropriate water issued by the State Engineer for the purpose of watering livestock.

3. As used in this section, “trail camera or similar device” means any device which is not held or manually operated by a person and is used to capture images, video or location data of
wildlife using heat or motion to trigger the device.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline crazywednesday

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Nevada's New Trail Cam Law
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:48:52 AM »
Unbelievable.
Justin

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 05:27:21 AM »
So does this just mean cellular cams with the wording "transmit"
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »
So does this just mean cellular cams with the wording "transmit"

No.  Note the two seperate items addressed
This regulation prohibits, with certain exceptions, a person from placing, maintaining or using a trail camera or similar device:
 (1) at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year;

(2) at any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device transmits, or is capable of
transmitting, images, video or location data of wildlife; or

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 08:21:24 AM »
So basically....

Regular trail cameras are illegal from August 1 to December 31, and cellular trail cameras are illegal from July 1 to December 31

Except on private property or if you're doing some sort of official research. :dunno:

that Sucks!

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
Government.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:29:00 PM »
Was there really a problem this was needed to solve?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:45:13 PM »

I would assume, that like most places this debate came up, there were two "problems". One was that some hunters didn't run cameras and didn't like those who did and the other are non hunters who think its not sporting.  :DOH:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
In speaking with a Nevada Game Warden he stated there had been some recent cases where they had proof of outfitters using the cell phone trail cameras to essentially plan their hunt by the minute. They'd get a photo and go to that spot. He compared it to the restriction of flying a non-commercial flight and hunting the same day. Not assigning blame solely on outfitters as I'm sure some regular Joes out there did it as well.

Offline UrbanTrapper

• Life Member: NRA, SCI, DSC, NTA, WSTA, ITA, ATA
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WWC, HHC, NTA, WSTA
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
This makes me mad but I'm trying to read between the lines on this to figure out the intent.  I lived in the Mojave Desert for a couple of years and in the desert life revolves around the water holes.  It looks like someone is claiming that too many trail cameras at water holes are scaring animals away and keeping them from drinking.  Some desert areas already have regs against hunters sitting on water holes in the knowldge that game animals HAVE to drink eventually and this is a likely extension of that mentality.   I'm sure a trophy Muley buck might shy away from a water hole if the trailcam paparazzi are waiting there 24/7.  I know there are plenty of black illum trail cams these days but too many regs are based on perceived problems with old technology.

If this were a California law I'd say it was because the game department wanted to keep citizens from effectivley collecting intelligence on illegal alien infiltrations and their watering points.  :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
The big outfitters like USO or whatever they were called ....when I was hunting 16 D in NM, a truck came by with a 100 brand new cams in the back.  They were placing them on every single watersource in unit 16, during the season.  Pretty easy for them to dominate an area.   It left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.  I can see that happening elsewhere.   

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
From what I gathered reading forums and other materials. Is that one of many problems is people selling gps coordinates of a trophy animal. Litter the valleys and you can pattern that trophy animal. Then sell the gps coordinates. Not that it guaranties a successful hunt. Nevada not the first state to do something like this. In Montana it’s illegal to have a transmitting  trailcam up during any season. Old school walk up to check are fine.  Montana used to be no trail cams during season transmitting or not. But they changed that last year to transmitting TC only. Nevada just went a little extreme. If I hunted in Nevada I’d be fine with it. But I don’t and don’t see me hunting there in the future either.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
Statement by the Nevada Department of Wildlife:

Nevada outdoor enthusiasts, The Nevada Department of Wildlife wants to ensure that all outdoor enthusiasts are aware of the new seasonal restrictions on the use of trail cameras. Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada.
The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission.  The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate. Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data.  New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras.  Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues.
The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts. Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.
The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the land owner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31.  The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.  NDOW recognizes that there are wholesome and legitimate uses of trail cameras, and unfortunately the use of cameras have been exploited far beyond most sportsmen’s definition of reasonable.  If you come across a trail camera on public land from August 1 to December 31, NDOW is asking that you leave the camera alone, and consider calling an NDOW office to report its location

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
You know, that is a pretty well written explanation and has changed my opinion on it.
Just really happy that I am free to hang cams almost anywhere, anytime =)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 12:08:19 PM »
I can understand the reasoning behind them making the ruling.  However to me it sounds like they went with the knee jerk over-reaction in terms of banning like they did.  It is unfortunately an all to common theme with just about everything these days.  Don't think and make a balanced ruling, "just ban it all", basically governments version of taking our ball and going home.  Obviously based on the notification from the state things were grossly out of hand and needed to be curbed, but I think they took the overly easy route rather than trying to find a good balance.

I see the issues as a two fold.
#1 over saturating water/animal congregation locations. Not too hard of a solution, set the regs so the cams can be no closer than X to a watering hole location. These sites are limited locations, so it is not like they are every 100ft. Set a 100yrd, 200yrd, 300yrd min distance.

#2 GPS/wireless exploitation. Pretty simple, do not allow the use of any wireless capable or GPS cams, that will kill 2 birds with one stone. People cannot just drop a cam way out someplace and never go back again, or sell the location info. If they are not able/willing to maintain their cam, then they should not put it out there, and will not be able to effectively sell animal info since it is not "live" data...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]