collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Rut Strategy  (Read 2038 times)

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Blacktail Rut Strategy
« on: July 16, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
Hi all,

I got lucky this year and drew the rut tag (Nov 1-14) for Satsop GMU 651. I have the Green Diamond permit, have hunted the unit for a couple of years, scouted a lot, and consider myself a pretty experienced blacktail hunter. HOWEVER - *all* of my previous blacktail experience is in bow season, either early or late, and I've never hunted the rut. This year I'm planning on hunting (for my first time in 20 years!) with a rifle instead of a bow. Going to use my new Henry single-shot .308.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has insights into how strategies for the rut differ from early and late season. Better to still hunt than stand hunt? Or just park somewhere with a decent vantage and watch? Would be happy to hear from anyone who's hunted this tag previously obviously, but welcome all thoughts. Thanks.

Offline buggy

• Hunter
Re: Blacktail Rut Strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »
I know nothing about the unit in question but I have taken a few Blacktails during the rut. I like to hunt 3-6 year old clear cuts. I usually just find a good vantage point and watch since the bucks are much more active during this time. Obviously hunting pressure is your worst enemy when hunting blacktails so hiking a mile or three behind a gate will help also. You probably already know all of this and it may not even apply to your area but this is what has produced for me. Good luck and have fun! :)

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
 :yeah:

Additionally, watch for areas with lots of does.  Where there are lots of does, there will be lots of bucks when the rut kicks off.   

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »
I love Blacktail threads so I'm tagging along in case some dope new info comes through. I'm really just waiting for FishnFur to comment so we can have a nice conversation  :tup:  :dunno:
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »
I would hunt it during the regular season, because you just never know with Blacktail when they will rut. I’d plan to hunt the last couple days of the regular season if able. I’ve spent more time in this unit than any other and the majority of the bucks we’ve taken were October 28-31. Personally I’d hunt it hard and keep moving, if you find good deer concentrations I’d focus there especially fawns, the buck will be back. Plan to stay out daylight to dark. Nothing easy about getting a big blacktail, but you’ve got a good start

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »

I would hunt the same as you usually do, that is hunt how you know. Just know that bucks will be on the move and looking for does so you have a better chance of finding a nice one.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »

Sorry Predator G.  Since I've never drawn that tag, I have no real world experience.  If I did draw that tag, I'd give serious consideration to using doe in estrus scents though and head to an area with a lot of active and old rubs.  I kind of like the idea of posting up in an area with a good view and hiding out till Mr. buck comes to investigate the scents.  A tree stand or a hillside above an alder bench should both work.

If preseason scouting revealed the locations of groups of does, then a good bet is trying to located them from an elevated position and camp out above those bedded animals.  A buck or two should be coming along at some point to check for breeders.  The does will let you know well in advance of when a buck is coming.  Their ears will tip you off to the direction he is approaching from.  All you have to do is find a shooting lane and wait for him to arrive.  The idea of hunting clearcuts where known does feed daily can be a golden ticket.  If she is hot, a buck will likely blindly follow her out into the cut and wait close by while she feeds.  He might even be aware that you are there, but he will be slow to leave without her.

A skilled still hunter should expect to find some success along the conifer/alder edges as well.  That is my favorite way to hunt during the general season but I generally manage to make some crazy unwanted noise just seconds prior to getting a deer in view.  I've learned to enjoy the deer's bounding race for cover as my reward for my efforts.  When I go out observing during the rut, I often just walk quietly, but make no real effort to go slow or stay concealed.  Sometimes you just run into them.  Sometimes the woods seem dead and void of animals.  It is always enjoyable though.

I hope this year's rut is a little better than last.  Good luck with that tag.  It is a good unit with a high success rate.  I'm sure you'll do well.

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline WoolyRunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:28:02 AM »
My dad has always said there are more blacktails taken on October 31 than any other day. Good luck.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:18:48 AM »
What you really need to concentrate on is where the does are. As you stated on your title RUT and that is the one thing only on their mind. Find the does and you will find the bucks.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline npaull

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the insights guys. I'm planning on doing exactly what's recommended here - just finding good areas that hold deer and either still hunting them super slowly (my go-to with the bow) or possibly putting up a treestand or two if I can find some promising funnels. I'm using the rifle as I said but I'm still more a meat hunter than a trophy hunter; I think I'll try to hold out for a heavy forky or better but I'm pretty realistic in what I'm looking for... Mostly I'm just stoked to get to hunt during this time of year!

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 09:45:52 AM »
Congrats on the draw! I have no experience in that unit, but have been fortunate to hunt that time frame in the past.

IME unless you are targeting a specific buck I would not sit a stand that time of year with a rifle. Bucks will move until they find an eligible doe and then lock down with her until she is bred.  That lockdown time frame can be a challenging. Take advantage of a bit more daylight movement  And bucks impaired judgement when on a hot doe and cover ground.

Mature bucks will be visible, and MAYBE impaired judgement wise, but odds are low. Mature bucks rarely drop their guard and even when on a doe, the big boys will seek some cover and still be limiting movement when possible. They have some chinks in the armor, they don't take it off. I have made the mistake of getting sloppy assuming the bucks wouldn't notice. They will. And if the will to breed is not in overdrive the will to live will override the system.

Its a rare opportunity to see alot of BT bucks and some nice ones. Enjoy it and good luck.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 11:18:39 AM »
Good point there.  Back in the day, RS used to say that the last few days of October, when the rut is really starting to ramp up, is time to be on the move, even to the point of using a vehicle to locate animals.  :yike:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »
I haven't been fortunate enough to hunt in this timeframe but I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods observing during it. My best days for bucks spotted were always spent on my bike riding clear cut to clear cut  and glassing. I had spots I knew held deer and I might spend an hour there, but in general I moved pretty fast. LIke has been said, unless you're after one specific buck, don't limit yourself to one specific spot waiting for one to come by, go find them, they'll be out and about, especially if you get some crappy weather.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]