collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW's Plan to Cover 30 Million Dollar Deficit  (Read 18551 times)

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
Re: WDFW's Plan to Cover 30 Million Dollar Deficit
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
The number of permit applications has been going up the past few years, not down.  I think more people talk about not hunting in wa than really do quit.

11% decrease over the last 10 years, in license sales.

Not even close to enough revenue to make up the deficit.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2018, 07:03:01 PM »
I'm curious to know with all this talk of no problem found if there truly is a deficit.If no one is doing anything wrong how could there possibly be this big of a deficit?

That said wasn't it just last year (scratch that it was this year that they caught it) that an IT worker stole 80k+ fuel bill was found after a very long use was finally discovered to be going on?That seemed like a dept. problem.

here it is.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/it-worker-allegedly-stole-80000-worth-of-fuel-using-wdfw-gas-cards/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:12:58 PM by Oh Mah »
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »
I'm curious to know with all this talk of no problem found if there truly is a deficit.If no one is doing anything wrong how could there possibly be this big of a deficit?

That said wasn't it just last year (scratch that it was this year that they caught it) that an IT worker stole 80k+ fuel bill was found after a very long use was finally discovered to be going on?That seemed like a dept. problem.

here it is.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/it-worker-allegedly-stole-80000-worth-of-fuel-using-wdfw-gas-cards/
80K out of almost a half billion dollar budget. Employees at every level (city, county, state, federal) are always getting in trouble for theft, just like they are in the private sector. There's always those who will take advantage of that government/company credit card.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2018, 07:25:22 PM »
Consultant said it's all good.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
80k 1 caught. in this dept. How many others how long before they get caught?

When there is 1 there is usually more,was this left out of the report?looks like it to me.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2018, 07:28:34 PM »

here it is.

80K out of almost a half billion dollar budget. Employees at every level (city, county, state, federal) are always getting in trouble for theft, just like they are in the private sector. There's always those who will take advantage of that government/company credit card.
This should not be minimized.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2018, 07:33:37 PM »

here it is.

This should not be minimized.
And the employee has been fired, charged with criminal charges, and the WDFW has changed it's fueling procedures.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Good they made a change when it was needed,Wish it would become a trend but i doubt it.The fact is and you said it yourself,No agency is without fault so for this consultant to come out and say that the dept. holds no fault in the deficit is total garbage.

agreed?
"Boss of the woods"

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
Good they made a change when it was needed,Wish it would become a trend but i doubt it.The fact is and you said it yourself,No agency is without fault so for this consultant to come out and say that the dept. holds no fault in the deficit is total garbage.

agreed?
There's a big difference between WDFW is responsible for the $30,000,000 deficit and did WDFW spend 100% of their money wisely. Nobody, whether it's a company, government agency, or an individual spends 100% of their money wisely. We all make bad purchases, investments, etc. For WDFW they erred in trusting an employee with a gas card and it cost them 80k, now if it all goes well they will recoup that amount when the individual is found guilty. But do I think because one employee committed theft that WDFW is to blame for the courts ruling against the state and now the state having to spend hundreds of millions on salmon projects, or the state legislature creating programs without funding them WDFW's fault? No.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
How about this? http://www.capitalpress.com/Livestock/20171221/wdfw-pens-425000-contract-extension-with-wolf-consultant

starting to add up?Only 2 items and its 1/2 a million.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
How about this?http://www.capitalpress.com/Livestock/20171221/wdfw-pens-425000-contract-extension-with-wolf-consultant starting to add up?Only 2 items and its 1/2 a million.
You do realize I am not the outside consultant correct? If you have an issue with the report then contact them and the state legislature since they are the ones who wanted it.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
We all make bad purchases, investments, etc.

We all don't have the option to dip into somebody else's pockets to finance our continued misadventures.

Does WDFW practice ZBB?  Well-run private firms do.

Which reminds me to ask.  Is this $30M shortfall a shortfall on a budget increase or a shortfall over last year's budget?

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:32:48 PM by Fl0und3rz »

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »
DFW does stuff like Hydraulic Permit work, seafood inspection, endangered species rehabilitation on things we will never get to hunt like pond turtles etc. Maybe worthwhile things and maybe DFW is the proper agency to oversee them but who should pay?
Some of the stuff they do benefits the General Public more so then just hunters and fisherman. The Legislature needs to pony up for those things or not expect them to get done.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »
If only we knew how much WDFW pays out in equipment damages / replacement,Lawsuits,theft etc then we could see a better picture for this 30 million deficit that is not the dept. fault.
"Boss of the woods"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal