collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar hunting or hunted?  (Read 6109 times)

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Cougar hunting or hunted?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »
@Bob33     curious if you can find cougar tag sales for the same time periods. 

I think those statistics are very misleading.  Between population influx and the amount of hunters with tags in their pockets. 

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »
Seem to recall it was permit only and a much shorter season when dogs were allowed.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
@Bob33     curious if you can find cougar tag sales for the same time periods. 

I think those statistics are very misleading.  Between population influx and the amount of hunters with tags in their pockets.
The seasons were lengthened and the tag fee reduced which resulted in an increased number of hunters.

From the linked article:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:35:01 AM by Bob33 »
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
I think the big thing about bagging a cougar is just heading out and killing more predators of all kinds. Coyotes Bobcats, bear and cougar.

I want to say a member on here focused on cougar vocalizations for e callers. Was it  Rainshadow? Anyway some one on here has discussed west side(Olympic Peninsula) cat calling a bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »
I think the big thing about bagging a cougar is just heading out and killing more predators of all kinds. Coyotes Bobcats, bear and cougar.

I want to say a member on here focused on cougar vocalizations for e callers. Was it  Rainshadow? Anyway some one on here has discussed west side(Olympic Peninsula) cat calling a bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

@rainshadow1
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
I've been seriously considering trying for cougar (and/or bear) this year and I keep wondering about the likelihood of being hunted myself. I've tried browsing past topics about cougar hunting and have read the following:
1. Cougar hunting is not effective without dogs.
2. You've got to be in great shape to even consider chasing cats. (how great of shape?)
3. The likelihood of finding a cougar is extremely small.
4. Cats sneaking up on hunters

I'm still a newbie hunter, so I'm wondering how realistic any of these thoughts are before I devote a bunch of time to it. But also have been watching the game camera threads and seeing how the animal populations are changing from ungulates to predators.  And if hunting should continue, I should be working on predators too, right? Doing a guided trip is definitely not in the budget this year.

Thoughts?

Jenna, here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. Cougar hunting is not effective without dogs.
Hound hunting with proven hounds is by far the most effective method. In my opinion based on the people I know who have done it, walking down a cat is the next most effective method, one of my guides has purposefully walked down three cougar in about that many seasons, but it requires excellent physical condition. For someone not in the best condition I would consider calling, baiting, glassing, or finding/hunting a kill. Calling should be done in areas that are known to have cougar. Baiting was outlawed for bear, not cats! Yes, cougar will sometimes come to bait if you bait in the right places and have a good source for bait. Another good option is sitting and glassing in known cougar areas. We see cougar just about every year while we are deer and beer hunting. Usually the hunters don't have a cougar tag! Finding and hunting a cougar kill is another good method. We find cougar kills every year when hunting in the winter, if a hunter sits within sight of a kill, there is a good chance the cat is coming back if you are still and you didn't disturb the area too much. Keep the wind in your favor where you sit and try to sit back a ways.

2. You've got to be in great shape to even consider chasing cats. (how great of shape?)
To walk a cougar down you need to be prepared to walk several miles in rough terrain to give it a fair try and then back to your vehicle.

3. The likelihood of finding a cougar is extremely small.
For most people yes, if you know where the cats cross or areas they frequent then your odds go way up but still not nearly as high of odds as hunting with hounds!

4. Cats sneaking up on hunters
If you are calling, the cat will be hunting the call, numerous times they have snuck to within 10 to 30 yards in hunting season when we are calling other species before we see them! If you try to walk one down he will likely see you before you see him and take off, but if you have a good eye and keep after him eventually you might see him.

My opinion is that on average hunters spend far more than the cost of a good hound hunt for every cat that is actually killed without hounds. However, if the specific desire is to DIY a cougar or if you simply cannot afford a hound hunt then the best thing to do is become as knowledgeable as possible about these other methods before you begin and you should do is practice your rifle handling, sight acquiring ability, and offhand marksmanship. What i mean is that most hunters put their rifle up and must search for the target. If you have to search there's a good chance the cat will be gone before you find him in your sights.  If your gun is scoped have the scope on low power when practicing and when actually hunting a cougar. Practice by picking out a rock or stump or anything and quickly raise your rifle, the target should be in your scope when it comes to your eye, if not you need more practice at doing that. Practice whenever you can until that is all natural, the target is always there when you put your rifle up. That will make you a much more effective hunter of all species! You can carry shooting sticks if you want, but with cougar many other game animals there often is not time to set up on shooting sticks, so it also improves your chances to become proficient at offhand shooting. That is another issue that requires practice, don't feel bad if you simply can't do it, there is a high percentage of hunters who cannot consistently hit paper offhand at 100 yards or even at 50 yards, but your odds are better if you can shoot offhand when only have a split second to shoot. So get out and shoot offhand  if you need to. Now find out where the cats live, there are several ways. Maybe trail cams have been getting photos in a particular area, maybe there have been recent sightings by someone you know, maybe some hunters can tell you where they have seen cougar multiple times, or find someone who used to run hounds and ask them if they would share some cougar crossing areas with you. Cougar are territorial, the hunt the same areas, time after time, areas where cats frequented 20 or 50 years ago are probably frequented by cats in today's world too,

I hope some of this helps.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline throttlejocky20

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
I have seen 6 and killed 1 never hunted with dogs, all but 2 of the cats i have seen were there just long enough to confirm what i was looking at then vanished forever. The one i killed was pure luck and sketchy. I walked into a draw while deer hunting and she was walking at me with her head in the grass at about 80 yards. What i didn't know is i was standing 10 feet from her recent kill she drug to this point and she had about 5 month old kittens near by.
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »

This is the right attitude. The things you see and learn hunting all predators will make you a better hunter and you will have great memories.

Covering miles on foot also gets you first hand knowledge of the land. Take notes and pictures.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  Plenty to think about, but mostly "get out there".

I learned a ton about cats this past year on a guided trip with Bearpaw outfitters.  We hunted in Idaho with hounds.  There is a ton of down time to ask questions and learn.  If you can afford a guided hunt with dogs I would highly suggest it.  After our hunt I am motivated to try boot hunting this year when the snow flies.  I think the odds are low for success but I think they are significantly higher with the knowledge I gained from hunting last year with Bearpaw.
Rainier10, I read through that yesterday on my lunch. Good stuff.

724wd, I'll read yours soon.

bearpaw, thank you for the very specific advice. There's a lot that I can work on with those suggestions, including shooting offhand and keeping the scope power turned down. Great considerations.
 :hello:

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
Treestands Do work!  I couldn't get a shot at a big Tom.  I still not sure who was hunting who?  Archery.  Rifle would have been a 35yard kill.  Just happened to be on a frequent elk trail.  I would say a tall stand on a well used game trail in a well know cat area in a funnel type location would be the best.  And start the hunt few hours before sun up.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Buckjunkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »
Years ago I picked up a couple hunters in the snow that were a long way from their Sled(s). They claimed that when they get fresh snow they head out on snow machines and look for fresh tracks. They were in prime deer and elk winter range. When they cut a track they walked it out. They claimed to have taken 5 cats that way. I thought it seemed like a good idea.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
Tree stands and snowmobiles are toys I dont have. ;)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 06:33:38 PM »
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,185537.0.html

Get out ther and hunt. If I can do it any of you can
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 08:31:07 PM »
Maybe rainshadow will chime in directly, but his website is pretty cool and has a lot of great stories to learn from.
http://www.rain-shadow.com/prod03.htm
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,185537.0.html

Get out ther and hunt. If I can do it any of you can
Yes! I read that one too! Congratulations to you.

I'll take a look at rainshadow's page thanks!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal