collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar hunting or hunted?  (Read 6077 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Cougar hunting or hunted?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »
@jennabug don't forget you can pick up the phone and talk to the district biologists.  They won't tell you where the cougars are, but I've always had great experiences gleaning information from them. 

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
Rocky bluffs. Cats like sunning themselves on them.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
@jennabug don't forget you can pick up the phone and talk to the district biologists.  They won't tell you where the cougars are, but I've always had great experiences gleaning information from them.

Ours only specialize in wolves.  (sorry, couldn't resist)

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
I think the big thing about bagging a cougar is just heading out and killing more predators of all kinds. Coyotes Bobcats, bear and cougar.

I want to say a member on here focused on cougar vocalizations for e callers. Was it  Rainshadow? Anyway some one on here has discussed west side(Olympic Peninsula) cat calling a bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

@rainshadow1

I've called them all over the state and a few other places, but the best source for the art of calling is the call-in story page on my website, that's the entire West.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
Ewwww... phone calls?! ;)  :chuckle:

I've called them all over the state and a few other places, but the best source for the art of calling is the call-in story page on my website, that's the entire West.
I got to skim a few of the stories last night. I'll be going back to your site for more too.

Rocky bluffs. Cats like sunning themselves on them.
:tup: great

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
I've been seriously considering trying for cougar (and/or bear) this year and I keep wondering about the likelihood of being hunted myself. I've tried browsing past topics about cougar hunting and have read the following:
1. Cougar hunting is not effective without dogs.
2. You've got to be in great shape to even consider chasing cats. (how great of shape?)
3. The likelihood of finding a cougar is extremely small.
4. Cats sneaking up on hunters

I'm still a newbie hunter, so I'm wondering how realistic any of these thoughts are before I devote a bunch of time to it. But also have been watching the game camera threads and seeing how the animal populations are changing from ungulates to predators.  And if hunting should continue, I should be working on predators too, right? Doing a guided trip is definitely not in the budget this year.

Thoughts?

I'll chime in on your initial questions here too...

1.) Depends on your definition of "Effective."

To go out and harvest one? Yes, dogs for sure, and those of an outfitter who has been out locating and identifying Lions for many season in his area, and already that season as well.

But to have the chance to kill one, effective? Tracking and calling are both also effective. Just not as high percentage.

I rate calling higher than tracking (you can tell by my website), but I'm not a mountain goat! I know a few guys who can give a mt goat a run for their money, and they have a good chance! This relates to question 2 and question 4 as well. Get on a hot track and just GO! You can imagine....

2.) Yes, to track one down. You can't be crippled to call, but you don't have to be a triathlete. No small feat to chase dogs either, honestly.

3.) Anymore, in Washington, Oregon, most of the west, actually... there's a lot of cats. You get in the right areas in the right conditions, you might be amazed. I've crossed 4 different cats in the same day on the peninsula. I know a 7 mile ridge in NE that probably had 5 cats on it at the same time. There are places like that in SE.  There are lots of cats. You do have to invest some gas and leather into locating, but there's lots of cats. Most times, especially with calling, you don't know you found one until they're already gone. Many times you never know. Part of the thrill and challenge when you find out you had one looking at you and didn't realize it.... but that probably frustrates the pudding out of the hound guys!

4.) As was mentioned, the called cat is coming to the call sound. Either in your hand, or set up out in front of you. But they're not coming in to a human... as far as they know. The dynamic of the cat personality is changing slightly with the overpopulation we're experiencing, but for the most part, they are not aggressive predators. They're very shy. They prefer to not be seen. They mostly are unseen. Things are changing with the huge numbers (relative to their lifestyle and territorial patterns) we have now, and I can't guarantee one won't come across an aggressive cat... but it's just not normal. They're an elusive, stealth, patient animal. It's not normally to be feared. (It's a longer discussion than that, all of these are, but that's the nutshell.)

Do it. December, on into the spring in some areas. Lite snow shows you tracks and will put you miles ahead, but patterning and locating kills can get you within earshot... go for it!  It's FUN! 
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
Jennabug, in your original post you said and/or bear. I didn't know much about bear hunting but spent almost 3 weeks in the field last year and got one because I found where they were eating. It's easier to do that with bears especially when they are hitting the fruit hard. Cats follow the herds unless they have a kill to munch on but the berry bushes dont move. If I did it over again I would have purchased one of @bearpaw maps he sells on his website. But I was hardheaded. Just my two cents but I think you have a higher chance for success with bears, at least short term.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]