collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How is the twisp Winthrop area fairing so far 2018?  (Read 9959 times)

Offline Hurtaale000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
How is the twisp Winthrop area fairing so far 2018?
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
Hey everyone, this is my first time getting back to hunting since 2010 and am looking to go back and check out the twisp area. Had good luck back then with Mule deer but I have read the populations seem weak? Is this still holding true? Planning on heading out and scouting myself in the next couple of weekends! Any input is appreciated:)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: How is the twisp Winthrop area fairing so far 2018?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:12 PM »
Populations are down but getting out there and get away from people and you will find animals.

Lots of the roads in the burn areas are still rough.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 05:12:56 AM »
Water levels are good, it’s still pretty green, population WAY down.  Abysmal in fact.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »
Water levels are good, it’s still pretty green, population WAY down.  Abysmal in fact.

:yeah:........Abysmal unfortunately is the perfect word to describe the Methow herd. Yes you can get way back off roads and see a few deer but not even a fraction of what it once was as far as numbers. I was just looking at some family journals going back about 100 years hunting deer from one end of the Methow to the other, the last 2 years were the worst for head count.  :sry:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:34:08 PM »
 I heard Peary is on fire again.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Hockey21

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
Twisp area is a baron wasteland. I was there 2 weeks ago, for a week, and I can count on almost 2 hands how many deer I saw. You can go pretty far off the beaten path and still find hunters and very little deer. I didnt see any deer crossing the roads during the night either. That is unheard of. Hopefully the herd will rebound some day.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
I heard Peary is on fire again.

Campbell lake and head of pipestone I guess.  Not sure how it’s progressing

Offline TylerMulie

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »
Not good, not good at all. we go camping there twice every spring, bad winter kill again and only saw a couple does. Sad to see that area get hurt. I'd guess another 5 years before it produces like it once did.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 10:31:12 PM »
I haven’t been to the Methow in 2018 but in 2017 during season I saw 11 legal bucks in 6 days of being in the valley, 2016 I saw 5 legal bucks in 4 days, 2015 I saw 2 legal bucks in 3 days all on public land and all during legal shooting light/season.

Very anecdotal. But I say it to say, don’t be discouraged. Deer numbers aren’t at there peak but getting out in awesome country, covering ground, getting to know the lay of the land will create memories and opertunities that you won’t get reading hunt-wa or sitting and thinking about hunting trips.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:02:49 PM by X-Force »
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Bwilliams1286

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »
I was just over there this morning to do a little scouting and check out the extent of the fires. The country is absolutely beautiful! I saw a bachelor herd of about 5 bucks, mostly small two and three points but there was a decent little 4x4 with them.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
I was there for the snow shoe softball. Disappointed.!!!!!period.!!!!!!!!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »
I haven’t been to the Methow in 2018 but in 2017 during season I saw 11 legal bucks in 6 days of being in the valley, 2016 I saw 5 legal bucks in 4 days, 2015 I saw 2 legal bucks in 3 days all on public land and all during legal shooting light/season.

Very anecdotal. But I say it to say, don’t be discouraged. Deer numbers aren’t at there peak but getting out in awesome country, covering ground, getting to know the lay of the land will create memories and opertunities that you won’t get reading hunt-wa or sitting and thinking about hunting trips.

I see a lot of legal bucks also but a lot are all in the city limits, I also have seen some legal bucks out of the "city limits" but during the same time frames 10 years ago it was 28, 15 years ago 31, 20 years ago 44 and 30 years ago 57.....now here ya go, this will speak the truth of whats happening in the Methow - 5 years ago 19, 4 years ago 21, 3 years ago 13, 2 years ago 8 and last year 8...... the numbers I just posted are all in a 5 day period, at least 2 to 8 miles from a road and all in the month of august 1st -august 15.....Not trying to pitch you a downer but that is reality of whats happening in the Methow, there are others on here that have a history in this valley just as I do (family hunting it since 1917), this herd is hurting and getting worse, I myself have not purchased a tag in 2 years although I do take my granddaughters out to show them the old "haunts"... :twocents:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:18:29 PM by bigmacc »

Offline samsqatch

• Tracker
  • Groups: Nra,Feild and stream
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
What bigmacc said. Ive hunted it high and low 32 years family for close to 50. Its in sad shape. I will always remember the days 0f being on the hill during Halloween and hunting general rifle as late as nov 5. Those of you that try and say its not all that bad really do not have a clue. Sorry.

Offline Wingin it

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
Agreed. It's a shadow of what it once was and it's sad to see the decline. When the seasons ran later years ago there were deer everywhere! It's not just the seasons that have changed though, the numbers aren't anywhere near what they used to be. Hopefully someday the herd will bounce back but I am not holding my breath. Too many snowmobiles pushing the deer around when they are trying to survive the winter, too many predators, too many people shed hunting to early in the spring when the deer are at their weakest, it goes on and on.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
Agreed. It's a shadow of what it once was and it's sad to see the decline. When the seasons ran later years ago there were deer everywhere! It's not just the seasons that have changed though, the numbers aren't anywhere near what they used to be. Hopefully someday the herd will bounce back but I am not holding my breath. Too many snowmobiles pushing the deer around when they are trying to survive the winter, too many predators, too many people shed hunting to early in the spring when the deer are at their weakest, it goes on and on.

:tup: on all your observations.........If it wasn't so sad it would almost be laughable when the WDFW come out with their "Methow forecasts" for the upcoming season, what they don't get is a lot of those forecasts would be accurate if it was 20-30 years ago or even 30-40 years ago, I don't know if they realize there are some of us left that actually remember what numbers actually constitute an average or above average forecast, I get it, they are trying to "sell it" to bring in more money, but some of these numbers they come out with can either fall into very inaccurate, highly inflated or just a downright lie categories, there are a lot of us that know folks that work in the hills of that valley, have worked out there, live there, ranch there or have some serious history of cruising the draws, hills, saddles and peaks of this valley and they/we will tell you this herd is hurting and is nowhere even close to what it once was, a "mere shadow of what it once was" unfortunately is an understatement.... :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]