collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reloading for accuracy/consistency help  (Read 8230 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Reloading for accuracy/consistency help
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
No sir.  I bump shoulders back .0015-.002 every loading. I used to neck size only and I did have stiff chamberings. I stopped neck sizing because I hate doing a different step every few loadings to fix what I was skipping in other loadings.  I did find in my 300wm and my first 243 barrel that if I neck sized only with a standard FL die it didn’t bump shoulders but sized the case walls enough that I didn’t have to bump shoulders every few loadings and bolt drop on chambering wasn’t near as stiff and I think that the bolt was actually pushing the shoulder back just enough because I noticed after chambering one of my hunting loads multiple times on the same round the stiffness was noticeably less.    Sounds to me like your chamber is definitely a little out of spec.    Maybe you could try what worked for me and it could help. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »
I have a body die that fits my chamber better but doesn't give quite the concentricity that the full length die does but I think I'll try it a bit to save overworking my brass.  I'm going to try your suggestion and see what that does.   

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
I have a body die that fits my chamber better but doesn't give quite the concentricity that the full length die does but I think I'll try it a bit to save overworking my brass.  I'm going to try your suggestion and see what that does.

Just a suggestion - try removing the expander ball assembly from your FL sizing die, and measure if or how much brass grows just from sizing. You may be seeing a lot of the growth from the expander ball pulling too hard.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »

Just a suggestion - try removing the expander ball assembly from your FL sizing die, and measure if or how much brass grows just from sizing. You may be seeing a lot of the growth from the expander ball pulling too hard.
Good idea, but actually been using a mandrel on the one full sizer with a small neck and nothing on the full sizer with the bushing neck.

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
Based on my limited experience-- powder type, followed by charge weight, then bullet type/weight determine which loads group well and which don't for me and my gun.

A load that works well for me is one where I see 4-5 sequential charge weights shoot moa or better at 100 yards.  Each charge pretty much groups the same. For example, I'll shoot 50-51 grains in .3 grain intervals. This tells me the load is supposedly stable across this charge range, so I pick a charge in the middle.

I wasted a ton of time and powder using 4350 and barely got anything to group. Then I switched to 4064 and saw groups in the manner I just described.  4350 grouped at max charge or higher but I didn't like primer and case signs I was seeing.

I'm going for moa or better and stability though. I'm seeing .5 moa, some rounds touching, and that more than good enough for hunting to 300 yards. I want a consistent, stable load that'll always shoot moa or better.

I just didn't see this until I switched powders.

I'm also seeing amax spread of 20 fps over 10-15 rounds.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]