collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Smoked pulled pork tips  (Read 4645 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Smoked pulled pork tips
« on: July 21, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »
I have been tasked with feeding a large group of people, about 50 or so, next weekend. I was considering smoking a couple of big pork shoulders and making a large batch of pulled pork sandwiches. I have only ever made pulled pork in a slow cooker, I've never done it on a smoker. There any tips, tricks, or words of caution / wisdom you guys can give me? I'm going for a Hawaiian theme flavor as well, so any suggestions on recipes would be helpful.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
Re: Smoked pulled pork tips
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:37:23 AM »
the biggest thing is to make sure you start early enough. pulled pork takes forever and it won't pull apart correctly until it is the proper doneness. other than that its basically low and slow, wrap in foil halfway through the help retain moisture, I like to hit mine with plain yellow mustard before adding spice rub. some smoked pineapple slices would be killer to add to the sandwich or pineapple slaw

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:48:57 AM »
I like Bobby Flay's recipe for pulled pork. 225 degrees and 165 internal temp for pulling and 170 for slicing.  :tup: The only seasoning I use is Johnny's.

Offline returnofsid

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:15:43 AM »
I smoke A LOT of meats, and Pork Shoulder is one of my 'go to' favorites...

First, you want to make sure you buy enough meat.  A typical pork shoulder will weigh 8-10 pounds, before you trim it.  YES, you'll want to trim the fat off, no matter what you've read in the past.  Fat does NOT melt into the meat, flavoring it.  That's a myth.  Fat also inhibits smoke.  Remove the fat! You'll lose 30% of the raw weight, once smoked. Plan on about 1/2 pound of finished pork, per person.

Do not brine!  Rub the pork shoulder with a binder (mustard or olive oil...you will not taste the mustard), then rub liberally with seasonings. Wrap in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. You will do this the day before smoking.

Start EARLY!!  Pork shoulders can take anywhere from 9-16 hours!!  You cannot rush it! If they finish early, no problem.  I'll get to that in a bit.

Fire up your smoker and get it to 225-240.  You need a way to determine the temperature of the smoke chamber, AND a way to determine the internal temperature of the meat, without having to open the smoker. I use an electronic probe system that has 6 probes.  This allows me to monitor the temperature of the smoke chamber, and up to 5 pieces of meat.

Get your water pan full of liquid.  I say 'liquid' because I don't use just water.  I usually use a 50/50 mix of water and either apple juice or apple cider.  Smoking is a very dry process and you need to introduce moisture into the smoke chamber.  That's one of the roles of the water pan.  The water pan also acts as a 'heat sink,' stabilizing the heat inside the chamber. The water pan will also catch the drippings, unless you have a separate drip pan.  You want these drippings.  I'll explain later.  Make sure your water pan always contains enough liquid that it doesn't burn.  The sugars in the water pan will actually burn, if there's not enough liquid.

Get those pork butts into the smoker and add your wood.  DON'T soak the wood.  That's another myth.  Wet wood will steam, not smoke.  Wood will not smoke until it's moisture level is below 11%.  I use wood chunks, not chips.  In fact, I usually use actual wood logs.  For pork butts, I use a combination of Maple, Apple and Cherry.  Sometimes I'll toss some Pecan into the mix.

After about 3 hours, you'll want to start mopping the butts about every 90 minutes.  I mop with a mixture of apple cider and whiskey.

Your target internal temperature is 205.  Below that and you'll not be able to "pull" the butts.  You will hit what's called a "stall" or "plateau."  This is where the energy of the heat starts to break down the muscle.  When the stall happens, the internal temperature with STOP rising, and might even drop slightly. DO NOT raise the temperature of the smoker, to speed up this process. You need to be patient through the stall.  The stall can last anywhere from an hour, to several hours, depending on how much muscle is present and how dense that muscle is.  Be patient...eventually the stall will end and the internal temperature will begin to rise again.  The stall typically happens at an internal temperature of about 150-165.  Wait it out.

Now, here's where you can go a couple different directions...Do you wrap or not?  I do not.  I have wrapped in the past, but like the results better, without a wrap.  Some people remove the butts at about 195 and wrap them.  Wrap in foil, then a couple old towels, then place it in a cooler to finish. The cooler is not to cool, in this instance.  It's to retain heat. The temperature will continue to rise for several hours.  Why don't I wrap?  BARK!  I like the bark!  The bark is the hard crust created by the sugars that are in the 'mop.'  Wrapping softens the bark.  That's the only reason I choose not to wrap.

If you wrap, do so at about 195, and place in the cooler for a couple hours.  Once the internal temperature has hit 205, allow another 45-90 minutes to 'rest.' 

If you do not wrap, leave them in the smoker until you have an internal temperature of 205, then you'll still allow another 45-90 minutes to 'rest.'

IF your butts are done early, don't worry about it.  Wrap them and put them in the cooler.  They'll still be HOT 4 hours later!

Or, after the rest period, go ahead and shred (pull) the pork, place it in a large pan, lightly cover with foil.

Remember those drippings I spoke of earlier?  I hope you saved them.  Add a little apple cider, or apple cider vinegar to them now.  After you're shredded your pork, add those wonderful drippings (liquid gold) back to the shredded pork and mix well.

Cole Slaw.  You need cole slaw, ON the sandwiches.  If you've never tried it, trust me, just do it.  I have a recipe for a cajun slaw that I'll find for you.

I'm sure I've left out something.  Please don't hesitate to ask questions.  Not only do I do a lot of smoking, I've also been in the culinary industry for almost 20 years, as a cook, chef, and currently kitchen manager.
2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 28"DL/60-70lb DW Purchased new, 4/26/2014
Fuse Carbon Interceptor 7 pin sight
Hoyt/QAD HD Fall Away Rest
TightSpot Quiver
GT XT Hunter @ 440 Gr. Total Weight
100 grain Muzzy 3 blade and/or 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS Broadheads

Offline returnofsid

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »
I like Bobby Flay's recipe for pulled pork. 225 degrees and 165 internal temp for pulling and 170 for slicing.  :tup: The only seasoning I use is Johnny's.

Pork shoulder will not pull at an internal temperature of 165.  In fact, the muscle doesn't even begin to break down until about 170, and doesn't really get tender until about 200.  To pull, the internal temperature needs to be at 205, for at least an hour.
2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 28"DL/60-70lb DW Purchased new, 4/26/2014
Fuse Carbon Interceptor 7 pin sight
Hoyt/QAD HD Fall Away Rest
TightSpot Quiver
GT XT Hunter @ 440 Gr. Total Weight
100 grain Muzzy 3 blade and/or 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS Broadheads

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Low and slow with lots of moisture, temps are right on from return's post.  Might need to do it the day before and plan for the fat coming out of those shoulders

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
All I can add. I try to run my smoker at 240-250. When the IT is 185 i’ll wrap in heavy foil then towel stuffed in a cooler for an hour or so.
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »
This is good stuff guys. I'm planning on doing two batches, one Friday and one Saturday. I won't have time to do it on Sunday. This will give me ample time to let it cook and not be rushed, and also have a fall back plan if I somehow fail miserably! Any good suggestions for a Hawaiian/Luau type rub to use?

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:38:41 AM »
Spot on advise from returnofsid on how to cook them and like he said wrap in foil, then a towel and into an ice chest to rest, and yes they will still be hot when you are ready to shred in an hour or longer.
As far as a rub for a Hawaiian/Luau flavor i would not worry about trying to get the meat flavored, basic mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire rubbed on them, wrap in plastic wrap and put int the fridge overnight then for flavor i would do that separate with different sauces in squeeze bottles so people can flavor them how they want.  :twocents:

We did that for our wedding last year and it worked out great, bought a bunch of squeeze bottles and labled them with what bbq sauce was in them from hot to sweet and everything inbetween (think we had like 8 or so flavors)
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 09:02:36 AM »
Also, how long do you guys put the smoke to the meat for? Not the entire time I'm assuming. 2-3 hours?

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 09:07:46 AM »
Yup....initial smoke then low and slooooooow

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »
Yup....initial smoke then low and slooooooow

Blocked out the entire day on Saturday to do this. May even do a batch Friday in the slow cooker to cushion the load.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
I smoke A LOT of meats, and Pork Shoulder is one of my 'go to' favorites...

First, you want to make sure you buy enough meat.  A typical pork shoulder will weigh 8-10 pounds, before you trim it.  YES, you'll want to trim the fat off, no matter what you've read in the past.  Fat does NOT melt into the meat, flavoring it.  That's a myth.  Fat also inhibits smoke.  Remove the fat! You'll lose 30% of the raw weight, once smoked. Plan on about 1/2 pound of finished pork, per person.

Do not brine!  Rub the pork shoulder with a binder (mustard or olive oil...you will not taste the mustard), then rub liberally with seasonings. Wrap in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. You will do this the day before smoking.

Start EARLY!!  Pork shoulders can take anywhere from 9-16 hours!!  You cannot rush it! If they finish early, no problem.  I'll get to that in a bit.

Fire up your smoker and get it to 225-240.  You need a way to determine the temperature of the smoke chamber, AND a way to determine the internal temperature of the meat, without having to open the smoker. I use an electronic probe system that has 6 probes.  This allows me to monitor the temperature of the smoke chamber, and up to 5 pieces of meat.

Get your water pan full of liquid.  I say 'liquid' because I don't use just water.  I usually use a 50/50 mix of water and either apple juice or apple cider.  Smoking is a very dry process and you need to introduce moisture into the smoke chamber.  That's one of the roles of the water pan.  The water pan also acts as a 'heat sink,' stabilizing the heat inside the chamber. The water pan will also catch the drippings, unless you have a separate drip pan.  You want these drippings.  I'll explain later.  Make sure your water pan always contains enough liquid that it doesn't burn.  The sugars in the water pan will actually burn, if there's not enough liquid.

Get those pork butts into the smoker and add your wood.  DON'T soak the wood.  That's another myth.  Wet wood will steam, not smoke.  Wood will not smoke until it's moisture level is below 11%.  I use wood chunks, not chips.  In fact, I usually use actual wood logs.  For pork butts, I use a combination of Maple, Apple and Cherry.  Sometimes I'll toss some Pecan into the mix.

After about 3 hours, you'll want to start mopping the butts about every 90 minutes.  I mop with a mixture of apple cider and whiskey.

Your target internal temperature is 205.  Below that and you'll not be able to "pull" the butts.  You will hit what's called a "stall" or "plateau."  This is where the energy of the heat starts to break down the muscle.  When the stall happens, the internal temperature with STOP rising, and might even drop slightly. DO NOT raise the temperature of the smoker, to speed up this process. You need to be patient through the stall.  The stall can last anywhere from an hour, to several hours, depending on how much muscle is present and how dense that muscle is.  Be patient...eventually the stall will end and the internal temperature will begin to rise again.  The stall typically happens at an internal temperature of about 150-165.  Wait it out.

Now, here's where you can go a couple different directions...Do you wrap or not?  I do not.  I have wrapped in the past, but like the results better, without a wrap.  Some people remove the butts at about 195 and wrap them.  Wrap in foil, then a couple old towels, then place it in a cooler to finish. The cooler is not to cool, in this instance.  It's to retain heat. The temperature will continue to rise for several hours.  Why don't I wrap?  BARK!  I like the bark!  The bark is the hard crust created by the sugars that are in the 'mop.'  Wrapping softens the bark.  That's the only reason I choose not to wrap.

If you wrap, do so at about 195, and place in the cooler for a couple hours.  Once the internal temperature has hit 205, allow another 45-90 minutes to 'rest.' 

If you do not wrap, leave them in the smoker until you have an internal temperature of 205, then you'll still allow another 45-90 minutes to 'rest.'

IF your butts are done early, don't worry about it.  Wrap them and put them in the cooler.  They'll still be HOT 4 hours later!

Or, after the rest period, go ahead and shred (pull) the pork, place it in a large pan, lightly cover with foil.

Remember those drippings I spoke of earlier?  I hope you saved them.  Add a little apple cider, or apple cider vinegar to them now.  After you're shredded your pork, add those wonderful drippings (liquid gold) back to the shredded pork and mix well.

Cole Slaw.  You need cole slaw, ON the sandwiches.  If you've never tried it, trust me, just do it.  I have a recipe for a cajun slaw that I'll find for you.

I'm sure I've left out something.  Please don't hesitate to ask questions.  Not only do I do a lot of smoking, I've also been in the culinary industry for almost 20 years, as a cook, chef, and currently kitchen manager.

I've never tackled a Shoulder before but ga dang this makes me want to fire one up this weekend! I think I will, thank you for the detailed directions!!
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
Great info in this thread.  I find I can do pulled pork days in advance and reheat with good success. 

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
What im hearing is an open invitation Saturday for a cold beer and bbq critique.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]