collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lake Roosevelt  (Read 4921 times)

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
Re: Lake Roosevelt
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 07:19:25 PM »
Damn.  You guys are getting me stoked. I start getting out after labor day. The heat kicks my butt, good luck

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
For trout troll some orange or green double whammy's behind a string of flashers tipped with a worm about 1.8 MPH. Perch colored flies work good too. You should not have any trouble finding trout with all the net pen fish in there. Not much size yet but still fun for the kids. Bleed them and get them on ice asap or they will be mushy. I don't fish for walleye much so no help there. Where are you putting in?

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 03:57:21 PM »
Heading to Roosevelt tomorrow. Anybody have any tips on trout or walleye from a boat? I would like to get my boys on some fish. Any tips appreciated.
What part of the lake are you fishing? It's been all small net pen fish mostly this summer and slower than winter time fishing for sure. We generally troll a fly in pink, orange, or green tipped with power corn with 12-16" of leader going to a silver or gold flasher. Works year round pretty well over there.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:37 AM »
Had some friends fish last weekend and did ok on rainbows. They said the eagles are getting good at catching the redbands that are tossed back. Also said the yellow jackets are unbelievable. Everyone was stung multiple times, including the dog. Man, It did not sound fun with those evil little things constantly harassing...
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »
Had some friends fish last weekend and did ok on rainbows. They said the eagles are getting good at catching the redbands that are tossed back. Also said the yellow jackets are unbelievable. Everyone was stung multiple times, including the dog. Man, It did not sound fun with those evil little things constantly harassing...

Heard the same thing on the bees. My dad said traps are sold out everywhere over there and to be on stand by for picking some up around here.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »

Heard the same thing on the bees. My dad said traps are sold out everywhere over there and to be on stand by for picking some up around here.

Bees are insane this year, we had thousands in our yard, bee traps were all sold out locally, I ordered 6 traps online, we have to empty them every other day! Been many years since I've seen the bees this bad, we are fretting the bear opener and trying to gut and piece out a bear on the mountain!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RESCUE-Reusable-Yellow-Jacket-Trap-YJTR-SF4/100090964

Says they have 143 as of today. When I dump the yellow jackets I refill the lower unit with Honey ham and its reloaded. The bee guy where I used to work that's all he used in the traps said it worked better than the attractant.

There is this guy as well. Thinking of building this and sitting it in the pasture and walk away. A cheep plastic tote and a soda bottle and some duct tape.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:29:26 AM by Ridgeratt »

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 09:11:42 AM »
Being anywhere near that yellow jacket trap would be absolutely terrifying.

Looks like it is doing some great work though!

Bearpaw, you guys may need to invest in some bee suits for gutting and skinning during early seasons...
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »

I ordered a bunch of "make your own" off of Amazon.  Basically can use any 2 litre plastic bottle and  punch the funnel trap into them.  Little apple juice, drop of dishwasher soap and teaspoon of wet cat food brings them in like crazy.  Much cheaper than the ready made traps and work just fine.  I usually put out about a dozen or more when the yellow jackets are bad.

Bees are insane this year, we had thousands in our yard, bee traps were all sold out locally, I ordered 6 traps online, we have to empty them every other day! Been many years since I've seen the bees this bad, we are fretting the bear opener and trying to gut and piece out a bear on the mountain!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »
I ordered a bunch of "make your own" off of Amazon.  Basically can use any 2 litre plastic bottle and  punch the funnel trap into them.  Little apple juice, drop of dishwasher soap and teaspoon of wet cat food brings them in like crazy.  Much cheaper than the ready made traps and work just fine.  I usually put out about a dozen or more when the yellow jackets are bad.

@baldopepper

I wondered about those "make your own" but someone said they don't work that well, maybe they didn't use the right bait? I'd sure like to hear how these you just ordered work, and if you have a link to where you bought them? I could use more traps around my place so I don't have to clean them out as often.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »

@baldopepper  You can find them on Amazon under Wasp Trap funnels.  Little more expensive than they used to be but still cheaper than the ready to use traps.  I got the bait formula on line some years ago, but basically it's just a mix of apple juice, drop or two of dishwasher soap and about a spoonful of any wet cat food. Exact ratio doesn't seem to be too critical.  They work very well just be carful when you make your cuts in the 2 litre bottle to make sure the funnels fit in securely.  We've found that if we start putting the traps out very early in the year we catch much larger yellow jackets and suspect it might help keep the numbers down later in the year. Ive been putting them out around the house for a couple of months now and frankly we're not having any real problems at all. (I put out about a dozen bottles but lately have been finding only a few in each trap)

I wondered about those "make your own" but someone said they don't work that well, maybe they didn't use the right bait? I'd sure like to hear how these you just ordered work, and if you have a link to where you bought them? I could use more traps around my place so I don't have to clean them out as often.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal