collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mopar warranty....  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Mopar warranty....
« on: July 26, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »
2015 2500 4x4 Cummins
Facts... amazing truck. Healthy...
The rest of the story...
Took the truck to a local shop for the 60k service. They’ve been in town since I was a kid.20+ yrs ago.

3k latter tranny blows. I’m in KY.

Dealership in KY says mech put wrong fluid in tranny.

Mech proves false, with a compatable fluid.

Dealership asks to tear into tranny (I assume a mistake on me here), I approve.

They find “ loose tranny pan bolts, a hole in a “”aftermarket filter”” and degrade craftsmanship of the job.

Dealership finds entire power train warranty void for aftermarket parts.

Mech looking into issue...

I talk with an Audi mech buddy at a high level In Audi... he says the mech is prolly wrong. Dealerships don’t head hunt, and to caution their side “”generally””

Thoughts...

My wife is about to abort my scalp... the dealership has me wondering. The mech has me confused. I thought I was doing the right thing at 58k. I’m about to coast it off a cliff and buy a pinto.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:18:14 PM by Wild Bill »

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Mopar warranty....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 07:05:56 PM »
I'd ask the dealer to document and take pics of everything they found, fix it and ssk the garage to reimburse you for it. If the local garage has been around that long, I'd think they'd work with you to make it right.

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »
Read your warranty and owners manual. Aftermarket parts shouldn't void a warranty as long as they meet or exceed factory specs. Most do. Especially filters since most shops don't use factory filters. You're not required to have a vehicle serviced at a dealer either. At least from what I have known. May have changed? All of my previous vehicles have stated all of this. Also, if you did the work yourself, all you'd need is receipts for the parts. That being said, if the repair shop did poor workmanship than that's a different story but it sounds like they won't cover because of aftermarket parts and that is what they stated.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 11:04:25 PM »
Wow so sorry to hear about this. Bad luck for sure. A truck that nice and practically new shouldn’t be having any problems like that. Hopefully everything gets resolved and someone is held responsible. In my opinion there had to be some hackjob work done
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Mopar warranty....
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:30:26 PM »
First. Accessing the pan and filter does not, in any way, shape or form involve “tearing into” the transmission. It involves a bunch of small bolts and maybe 15 minutes of work unscrewing said  bolts. Loose transmission pan bolts won’t cause a transmission to fail unless all the fluid leaked out via a failing pan seal due to loose bolts.

Second. If they say there’s a “hole” in the filter have them show it to you. They have to prove that part X caused the failure in order to decline warranty coverage. This is more involved than someone just saying so. If there’s shoddy workmanship and a transmission filter that is faulty, then that’s not the dealership’s problem or Chrysler’s problem. That fault lies on the shop who installed the parts.

Third. If there is a bunch of aftermarket performance parts installed in the drivetrain of the vehicle, then maybe there shouldn’t be any powertrain warranty. What sorts of aftermarket parts are we talking about? You can’t completely modify the drivetrain of a vehicle and then expect the manufacturer to pay for it.

I would ask them to show you the faulty filter or whatever caused your problems and have them explain to you, in person standing at your truck, why there is no warranty coverage for the failure.  Aftermarket parts do fail, as do factory parts. The fault lies in whose parts failed causing the problem.

Need more info. Bottom line.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 11:32:30 PM »
Regarding the shop putting the wrong fluid in the transmission...is there an itemized invoice saying what fluid they did put in the transmission?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 11:35:30 PM »

I talk with an Audi mech buddy at a high level In Audi... he says the mech is prolly wrong. Dealerships don’t head hunt, and to caution their side “”generally””

What does this mean?

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »
The truck has zero aftermarket anything on. Bone stock.
They are calling the filter aftermarket somehow.

They are very hung up on the loose bolts proving that the work “was shorty”.
I have a picture of the filter with a tear in the seam, but have no clue how they could prove loose bolts, or the tear wasn’t done when they tried to remove it.

Invoice shows a compatable filter, and a compatable fluid.

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 08:07:08 AM »

What does this mean?

He was the boss man at Audi. Basically he said they have no real reason or gain to feed a line of bs despite what people think. And often time prefer tomwarranty it vs have a consumer pay as the money is guaranteed, and the consumer comes back.

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »
Got off the phone with the dealership....
So I slightly misunderstood.
They have not tried to warranty the tranny nor notified Chrysler as they feel the warranty would no doubt be voided if they do. So they’re standing by waiting on me.

The local shop swears all was well.

The truck ran fine from 58-63 k no issues...

Not sure if I should try a lawyer, or risk the warranty.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 08:29:14 AM »
I have had nothing but good experiance with Mopar warranty, one of the best in the market from my experience.
Stick to your guns, make sure either the lo am shop covers the cost of repairs for possible shotty workmanship,  or Mopar warranty it.

Hope it works out the best for you.

On a side note, I only take my vehicle to dealership for work during warranty coverage for this very reason. All work is documented in there computer, but after that, I'll do the work my self. It's even cheaper to have the dealership do my oil change on diesel motor,  $69 And then they call me with  a survey and after I do the phone survey I get a $25 off any service on my next visit  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
They have not tried to warranty the tranny nor notified Chrysler as they feel the warranty would no doubt be voided if they do. So they’re standing by waiting on me.

Is it a Mopar warranty, or an aftermarket extended warranty at this point?
If they say there’s a “hole” in the filter have them show it to you. They have to prove that part X caused the failure in order to decline warranty coverage. This is more involved than someone just saying so. If there’s shoddy workmanship and a transmission filter that is faulty, then that’s not the dealership’s problem or Chrysler’s problem. That fault lies on the shop who installed the parts.

Would a "hole" in a tranny filter even cause a broken in transmission to fail in only 3,000 miles?   This isn't an engine, seems like you could run without a filter and all would be fine? 

Am I crazy to think this?

Maybe the filter supplies some needed back pressure for the valve box to operate correctly?   The last AT filter I changed was in a 1982 Chevy S10 with 62K original miles, so I may know squat for modern stuff.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
Stick to your guns and push them to warranty it. Do some research, what brand filter was put in it? There is a decent possibility that it is the same company that sells them to Dodge. Loose pan bolts mean nothing unless there was a leak, have they mentioned lack of fluid? If not, the bolts mean nothing. I am in no way an auto trans guy, but with my limited knowledge I just don't see a "tear near the seam" destroying a trans in 3k miles.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 09:16:42 AM »
The truck has zero aftermarket anything on. Bone stock.
They are calling the filter aftermarket somehow.

They are very hung up on the loose bolts proving that the work “was shorty”.
I have a picture of the filter with a tear in the seam, but have no clue how they could prove loose bolts, or the tear wasn’t done when they tried to remove it.

Invoice shows a compatable filter, and a compatable fluid.

I spent 10-ish years working for a Chrysler dealer and have worked for Ford for the last 5.5 years.  I sort of know how it works.

If the filter wasn't a Mopar filter, it is an aftermarket filter. Has no bearing on warranty or not. You can maintain your truck however you see fit. As long as you do it when you're supposed to, you're fine. You can do it yourself if you want...just keep a record of what you did when.  Keep receipts of the parts you purchased, maybe a log with date and miles, etc. That's all you need to do.

If the truck has zero aftermarket modifications, then there are zero reasons for them to void your entire powertrain warranty. Literally zero reasons.

They can't void the entire powertrain warranty because you put an aftermarket filter in the transmission. When you say entire powertrain, to me that means engine and all internally lubricated components, transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials, hubs, etc. They simply won't do that.

The dealer has to be able to prove that whatever they're saying caused the failure actually caused the failure. So...if they can prove that loose trans pan bolts caused your trans to fail, then you're in trouble....but they can't. 

What does this mean?

He was the boss man at Audi. Basically he said they have no real reason or gain to feed a line of bs despite what people think. And often time prefer tomwarranty it vs have a consumer pay as the money is guaranteed, and the consumer comes back.

Warranty work is easy money. 99% of dealership service advisors and service managers are paid by commission. There is more gross profit in a warranty transmission replacement than there is in a customer pay unit. We make a lot of money doing warranty work.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »

They don't have to "try" to cover the transmission under warranty. They disassemble it, report their findings to Chrysler and Chrysler tells them whether to fix it or replace it. If the transmission failed because of the filter, your aftermarket shop should be covering the repair. If not, Chrysler should be covering the repair. There would be no reason to void the warranty on your entire powertrain. They just can't do that...

Have you talked to the service manager through all of this and asked him to prove whatever they're saying caused the failure of your transmission? Or are you just dealing with a service advisor?

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »
You guys are *censored*es.
Jackalope, appreciate the input greatly.

It’s a fleetguard filter.
The local shop is working with fleetguard on the filter issue. The dealership
Is still saying not to submit the claim.
But Chrysler customer service said they’d foot the bill to tow it to a new shop. And to them it sounds like a faulty tranny. And if not feetguard is working with me as well as the local shop...
Just be serveral days of waiting now lol

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »

You're joking, right?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »
I wish the truck was here.... I'd be tallying up my warranty commission from the repair already.

:chuckle:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:54 PM »
Back up the warranty gravy truck and start pouring!!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
Back up the warranty gravy truck and start pouring!!!

Right?
Seems weird to me that the dealer is resisting.

Offline dewandgin

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »
Ask them for point of failure. A seam torn on a transmission filter that is submerged in the pan will not cause the transmission to fail. Been in the business 29+ years. The whole powertrain warranty will not be voided as it is not modified in any way, shape or form. The dealership is being difficult and I am not sure why. Have Dodge tow it to another shop. A cost comparison will be done the transmission will be either repaired or replaced and you will be on your way. To bad your so far away we have two Dodge dealers in our company and they would be loving that work. :drool: :drool:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
Ask them for point of failure. A seam torn on a transmission filter that is submerged in the pan will not cause the transmission to fail. Been in the business 29+ years.

What would happen if the filter wasn’t even there?  Seems like a broken-in transmission with fresh fluid wouldn’t give up the ghost even if the filter was omitted?

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 08:57:19 PM »
I am not a mechanic by any means but there is something wrong with the whole story.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 05:53:32 AM »

You're joking, right?

Haha! Well that was supposed to say B...a... d...@$$e$.

Def looks bad thhough😂
Apologies if anyone thought I was down playing those that have helped me out here. Been very helpful.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 07:26:14 AM »
Ask them for point of failure. A seam torn on a transmission filter that is submerged in the pan will not cause the transmission to fail. Been in the business 29+ years.

What would happen if the filter wasn’t even there?  Seems like a broken-in transmission with fresh fluid wouldn’t give up the ghost even if the filter was omitted?

A while back, then new Grand Cherokees had an issue where the filters would come loose. We’d find them laying in the pan. Vehicle would not move.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »
Is this work and battle under the Mopar warranty, or under a third party warranty.   My Gf's car had the idler arm bolt break, and it's kind of a big deal.   The third party warranty didn't want to cover it because they claimed "the idler arm bolt isn't part of the idler assembly" (which was covered).  They backed down when I told them that they will have to explain that logic to a judge.

I still chuckle overthe brazeness of that.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »
Any update?
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
Is this work and battle under the Mopar warranty, or under a third party warranty.   My Gf's car had the idler arm bolt break, and it's kind of a big deal.   The third party warranty didn't want to cover it because they claimed "the idler arm bolt isn't part of the idler assembly" (which was covered).  They backed down when I told them that they will have to explain that logic to a judge.

I still chuckle overthe brazeness of that.

I would assume he's working under the 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty from the factory.

Service contracts are very specific on what's covered and what's not covered. Some specifically don't cover "bolts" at all. I'm honestly surprised they backed down. If it's not a component listed for coverage on the contract you purchased, it's not covered 99.9% of the time.

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
still waiting.
Took it to a new shop. Service manager sounded encouraging on the phone, and in person so we will see.
Should find out soon. Realllllll tired of paying for a rental car, so hopefully they decide to push a warranty, and i can get a loaner. win win. Rentals are spendy. lol

WB

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »
New dealership warrantied the tranny for me.... Thank goodness. lol
Appreciate all the help.

WB

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
Appreciate all the help.

WB
Nice. Just what they should have done.
I got a construction company to start bringing me all their local trucks for repairs a few years ago because another dealer wouldn’t warranty a transmission for a really dumb reason. These guys now spend $5000 plus a month with me. If only those other guys knew what they blew out the door.

Offline dewandgin

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
Appreciate all the help.

WB
Nice. Just what they should have done.
I got a construction company to start bringing me all their local trucks for repairs a few years ago because another dealer wouldn’t warranty a transmission for a really dumb reason. These guys now spend $5000 plus a month with me. If only those other guys knew what they blew out the door.

Same here. I have numerous local companies that bring all their work to us and they now bring all their k services to us also. That first dealer was a tool or thought they could take advantage of someone out of town

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal