collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018 County Challenge! and still...one more and done!  (Read 11759 times)

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2018 County Challenge! I'm closing in...
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »
Isn’t Banks also in Douglas County on the north side?  I cannot remember which lake you logged for Grant but I am also sure there are other bass places in Douglas.

That Wahkiakum bass is going to be tough.  What about Elochoman Slough?

SR1

Yes wahkiakum looks tough.
There is some awesome bass fishing in Klickitat county, I caught my personal biggest there.
Great challenge!  My bucket list is to catch all the freshwater fish in Washington.  Long way to go!
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline HookedOnQuack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
Lake Leland in Clallam... :tup:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 07:12:58 PM »
Isn’t Banks also in Douglas County on the north side?  I cannot remember which lake you logged for Grant but I am also sure there are other bass places in Douglas.

That Wahkiakum bass is going to be tough.  What about Elochoman Slough?

SR1

Yes wahkiakum looks tough.
There is some awesome bass fishing in Klickitat county, I caught my personal biggest there.
Great challenge!  My bucket list is to catch all the freshwater fish in Washington.  Long way to go!

The burbot might be a PITA  :chuckle:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 08:16:08 PM »

Leland is listed as Jefferson County.

I appreciate the tips!  I leave again Thursday for a redo and a couple others East.  Been a lot of running but it combines my two favorite things..driving and bass fishing :tup:
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »
It's in Jefferson.  For Clallam, Lake Ozette is supposed to be the big bass lake.  All the ones I've heard about are a guy that knows a guy that catches them, though.  It's such a big lake, you could probably spend a week checking out spots.  Too bad it's surrounded by park, be pretty cool to be bass fishing and then drop an elk or bear when they are walking the shore.

Offline bassquatch

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 05:17:40 AM »
That's one of the targets in Clallam  :tup:  The problem with that county is that Ozette is a big boat lake and 4.5 hours one way...the rest of the lakes are small boat lakes but closer.  So, roll the dice and head to Ozette?  Or hit the smaller closer lakes?  Part of the challenge is logistics, especially when you're trying to knock em out, once you make your decision it's fly or die...ok, fly or drive there again the following trip lol

If I was doing this over a couple years then I would just go spend my vacation in each county.  I think Ozette is a good gamble just for the "cold, clear water" aspect...sounds very familiar  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:18:19 AM by bassquatch »

Offline Westsideelkchaser

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »
Dickie lake is also rumored to have some bass but is also a long drive and right next to Ozette. 

Offline bassquatch

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
Well, I had to go back and re-fish Columbia County last week (Thursday 8/9) and the trip went terrible! I launched originally at Lyon's Ferry State Park and ran to the right on the river....well, that put me almost immediately into Walla Walla County  :bash:

I noticed this mistake while I was checking boundaries for Wahkiakum County...it sparked my interest so I reviewed all of my stops on the rivers and discovered my mistake on Columbia County. I also came close to screwing up Walla Walla County, but fortunately I jumped to the correct side before catching my fish there! Being a man of my word (not that anyone else would give a rip) I had to return and actually complete Columbia County correctly.

It was 105 degrees when I launched. By the time I boated the 1.1 pound squeeker smallie about 4 hours later, it was 112 degrees!!  :yike:
It was so hot at the end that my GoPro would only run for about 3-5 minutes at a time before shutting off and the camera itself was hot to the touch! It didn't record the official catch, (see pic) or the two more I caught and the one I lost shortly after....I had to restart it multiple times and once again just to catch the run back to the launch. It also didn't record my bank fishing experience on Lake Rowland in Klickitat County the following morning??! Maybe time to replace that one?

Anyways, I doubled back to Klickitat County (apprx 4.5 hours) after leaving Columbia County and accidentally got routed into Oregon?! Where I had to sit through a stupid vessel inspection :bash: before returning to the Washington side! I was so focused on getting to my overnight destination before they closed that I nearly ran my truck out of gas along the way!  I found a gas station on the WA side with 17 miles to spare   :yike: Then, Friday morning, I woke up to 17mph winds that would build throughout the morning to 35mph   :bash: :bash:

Forces were aligning against me it seemed. I could not fish effectively! The frustration monster started eating at me. My work phone never stopped. I was getting tunnel vision on bait selection, catching nothing but 0.5-0.8 pound bass and I found a crack in my boat trailer while launching at Maryhill State Park Friday!  :yike: :bash:

I finally snapped! With the thoughts of work piling up back home, the relentless wind, vessel and trailer issues, the oppressive heat, my own narrowing brain, access issues due to boat selection and a few other things, I pulled the plug and headed home fairly early Friday. I was disgusted and frustrated at the thought of having to drive 4-5 hours back to Klickitat County for a FOURTH attempt and that just added to everything!   :DOH:

I hit the brakes hard!! On the way home, I had plenty of time to process everything, I realized I was only upset with myself. This adventure is supposed to be fun! Not a race but a quest. Not a competition but an accomplishment. I was upset and frustrated with myself, period. I forgot to "fish" and began to "pound"! Repeating processes that had worked elsewhere, expecting the same results everywhere. Sometimes that works... it's when it doesn't that you need to keep your head in the game and expand your approach! I was frustrated by the amount of techniques and areas I left on the table. I decided it was time to take a break for a couple weeks and decompress. Fortunately, this decision was made far easier on the way home, when the transmission on my truck started leaking!!   :bash: :yike:  3,000 miles in 4 weeks took it's toll I guess  :dunno:

Not a good trip overall from a 'luck' standpoint, but a blessing in disguise I believe?! Getting repairs done will leave me no option but down time. Down time will rejuvenate me, and put me into September with falling temps, both ambient and water, which should only improve the fishing  :tup:

It also may result in a new truck?! Which after 10 years in a one ton, going back to a half ton will be like driving a cloud around (a one ton with overload springs will test your kidneys even on a "smooth" road). 

So that's where it stands....I'll be back out there but my foot will be off the accelerator! I intend to slow down and thoroughly enjoy the last six counties :tup:     I promise  :chuckle:

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »
Well I have enjoyed the videos and the story along the way.  You motivated me to bass fish more.  I fished Lake Roosevelt the last four days and caught a bunch.  I know it was a lot of work but you were out fishing so it could have been worse.

Good luck finishing the Counties up.

SR1

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »
What a cool Challenge Idea! good luck!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
I forgot to mention 8theb8 that you almost got me to buy a RT instead of the saltwater boat.  Those guys at Nixon’s talk a good game. 

A good king season has swayed me back from the dark side.

SR1

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
It's in Jefferson.  For Clallam, Lake Ozette is supposed to be the big bass lake.  All the ones I've heard about are a guy that knows a guy that catches them, though.  It's such a big lake, you could probably spend a week checking out spots.  Too bad it's surrounded by park, be pretty cool to be bass fishing and then drop an elk or bear when they are walking the shore.

Doesn't Lake Sutherland have Bass?
IAFF #3728

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
Not sure, I haven't heard of them.  It has Kokes, but it is so popular with jet skis and wakeboards..kind of tough to fish in summer.  I think Ozette, Pleasant and Dickey are the main ones; but Dickey requires a pass and some other kind of permission from Rayonier.  Pleasant, not sure how it is.  Dickey and Ozette have real high mercury levels.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 09:39:39 PM »
Curious where you caught your bass in San Juan County?

Offline bassquatch

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 04:47:55 AM »
SeaRun1: That's awesome!!  :tup:  but "Dark side"??  :chuckle:  That RT would have filled up fast with all the attorneys you must keep around to salmon fish this State anyways!!   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Thanks Special T!  :tup:

lokidog:  PM sent  :peep:

My reasoning for Ozette is it's the closest to the coast so I can talk my wife into coming along. Also it just looks amazing!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]