collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: THE CLOCK IS TICKING, THE GROUSE CALENDAR IS COUNTING DOWN  (Read 21975 times)

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: THE CLOCK IS TICKING, THE GROUSE CALENDAR IS COUNTING DOWN
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 11:14:07 PM »

Central Idaho last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »
If you don't ever get out of the truck, you will only see them on the road.  Funny how that works.   :hello:

I knew when I was typing someone would make this comment,   I tried to clarify by stating "off road" which means out of the truck in the woods or behind locked gates, just to save folks from feeling the need to roll out the same old line.

In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
Seen a couple fatties on a high mountain ridge last weekend. Must’ve been at least 2lb or 3lbs each. Hurry up September!

Offline satchel3006

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »
This is my sons first hunting trip that he’s actually hunting (passed his hunters ed a little bit ago) so we’ve been shooting once a week or so getting ready. My first goal is getting my son his first game animal second goal is to get a grouse with my handgun (ruger mkiii target full of volquartsen parts) we’ve got a 3 day trip planned for the opener and will be scouting here in a bit. Can’t wait!

Offline mossyoak arrow slinger

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
Starting to Look like it might be a good year in some areas.  Was on the eastside this weekend scouting for dads bull tag and saw the tasty thunder chickens everywhere.  Will be back after them come September 1st

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 10:18:52 PM »
Saw a bunch while out elk scouting today. Mostly blues but some nice ruffs in the mix too!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
If you don't ever get out of the truck, you will only see them on the road.  Funny how that works.   :hello:
Sometimes you see more from the truck. :chuckle: :hello:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 04:40:09 AM »
Starting to Look like it might be a good year in some areas.  Was on the eastside this weekend scouting for dads bull tag and saw the tasty thunder chickens everywhere.  Will be back after them come September 1st

Looks like a hen and yearling broods maybe. Unless the chicks are really well fed!
How dry were the conditions? I suspect pretty damn bad.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »
Been seeing a lot of grouse and rabbits this year while out hiking and doing salt . Looks like it's going to be a good year ! Been wanting too try grouse Marsala with chanterelles !
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Spearo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some info on how to find grouse. Im a college student, and I do not come from a family of hunters, nor do any of my friends hunt, so I really have started from scratch on my own. I hunted every single weekend after I got my license last year, from mid-October straight through until the end of the year. I managed to bag one bird last year, and flushed a handful more -- but in general, I had a hard time finding them, or even knowing what to look for. I live on the west side, near Seattle, so I generally hunt the peninsula and the west side of the cascades.

I'm a spearfisherman, so I understand sharing spots/info can be a touchy subject -- but any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would be happy to throw a few pounds of lingcod or rockfish fillets your way in exchange for any help if we ever cross paths. Please feel free to DM me.

Thanks!

Offline screedler

• redneck nerd hybrid
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 06:05:42 AM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some info on how to find grouse. Im a college student, and I do not come from a family of hunters, nor do any of my friends hunt, so I really have started from scratch on my own. I hunted every single weekend after I got my license last year, from mid-October straight through until the end of the year. I managed to bag one bird last year, and flushed a handful more -- but in general, I had a hard time finding them, or even knowing what to look for. I live on the west side, near Seattle, so I generally hunt the peninsula and the west side of the cascades.

I'm a spearfisherman, so I understand sharing spots/info can be a touchy subject -- but any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would be happy to throw a few pounds of lingcod or rockfish fillets your way in exchange for any help if we ever cross paths. Please feel free to DM me.

Thanks!

Check out http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/grouse/
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Offline lastmk8

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 07:21:22 AM »
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Oh I wish I was more of a grouse hunter cuz I'd love to share some info with you.  I can't imagine someone not taking you up on an offer with some Ling's involved.  All I can say is what everyone will tell you from the start, you have to get out there and keep those boots moving, eyes pealed and ears pointed.  Hunting is evolution in a sense, no one knows anything when they start.  They might think they know something, but every time in the field something new will be seen, heard, learned,... it is a process.  Think of when man decided to add meat to their diet,.... he didn't go down to the local Piggly Wiggly and grab some steaks, he learned to hunt, and the evolution began..... 

Good luck on those Thunder Chickens, they are worth figuring out how to hunt them, and you will learn plenty about your surroundings while in pursuit.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 09:53:55 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I'd recommend going to the East slope of the Cascades or up to N Central Wa. There certainly are grouse on the Peninsula but the cover is much thicker and the typically moist breeding season doesn't promote good population growth. There is a ton of forest land on the Eastside that is open to hunting and there are plenty of grouse spread throughout it. You'll likely find spots to hunt other birds like quail and chukar for when those seasons open up.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 04:34:02 AM »
ONE WEEK AND A DAY!
ONE WEEK AND A DAY!

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2018, 05:43:00 AM »
Research and plan your trip carefully...Huge fires continue to rage in large sections of the National Forests of E. WA. At last report, unpaved roads in the Colville N.F. were closed to public travel.

No matter where you go plan on dealing with an (at times) unhealthy dose of smoke.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand