collapse
Elk101 Bearpaw Outfitters

Author Topic: 2018 High Buck PACK SHAKEDOWN  (Read 3123 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: 2018 High Buck PACK SHAKEDOWN
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
Figure out how much you can comfortably carry every day. For me, that's 27 pounds. I took my hunting pack to work every day for a year, walking (or running) for the bus, transferring downtown, and walking another mile each way. I didn't carry the same gear, but I learned exactly how much I could carry and how far I could go with it not be sore the next day. Take the glass, take the raingear, wear the wool clothes.
27lbs... I assume not including weaponry? Does that include glass? 

BTW, I'm doing a training hike tonight and Section I of the PCT this weekend, so I'll be a little more focused on what I can cut through those trips.  My pack for my training hike tonight is set up as if I were on a 2-night, 3-day scouting trip (i.e., everything but the kill kit and weapons), and I'm weighing in at 31lbs wet (all food + 1.5L water, which is a typical starting point for my hydration pack). 

That's sans leatherman, extra pants (I did keep an extra shirt for some reason...), and I trimmed down the med kit from ~9oz to ~5oz. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
Nice. Im still at 39 # of luxury.  But would be nice to drop 10#.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »
Lightweight game bags on sale on camofire today
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »
BTW, I picked up some of the Allen game bags and HOLY CRAP y'all weren't lyin' about those Alaska bags being huge and heavy compared to the competition.  Set of Allen bags only cost me $20 on amazon, so assuming they don't fail me, I'll likely stick with those. 

Thanks ;)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
Lightweight game bags were the first "lightweight" item I changed in my pack. I bought the Kuiu quarter bags a few years ago. It changed everything for me. Now I could reasonably pack enough bags to fully process an elk on the hill and stash the meat between packouts. I could also rinse them in a creek back at camp, and re use them the next day for the next animal. My pack isn't as comfy to sit on now, but I'll take that in the pounds of weight it saved and the functionality of them.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »
I've put 4 deer through my Allen game bags. There are a couple small holes I'm about to patch for this season but they are still kicking.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline SilkOnTheWetSide

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
Not sure if it was addressed above, but your first aid kit is wayyyyyy too big.

My emergency kit consists of: Leukotape (far superior to athletic or moleskin), quick clot, 12 of para cord that gets robbed all the time, and a small baggy with IBP, claritan and a separate baggy with a couple of Benedryl tabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »
Cut your toothbrush in half and drill holes in it. Don't forget whisky.
😂😂😂

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
Few random thoughts on this stuff from a guy who spends 50+ days a year living out of a backpack and packing out a dozen plus animals a year.  I've learned all this stuff the hard way and wish I would have had someone 15 years ago to drop some wisdom on me.

Packs:  regardless of what you have, fit it properly and learn the proper way to put it on.  I see so many people who bypass this step and then wonder why they get hotspots or sore shoulders.  Just last night I watched a video of a couple guys hunting.  These dudes LITERALLY SELL several lines of packs and both had packs way out of adjustment. 

Food:  pack what you are going to enjoy eating.  Some stuff may not hit the calorie content that the internet tells you it has to have but by God you can eat it day in and day out it will be more beneficial than the calorie dense food you hate after two days and end up not eating.  If you don't eat it then it's worth zero calories and hurts you mentally

Weight: I stopped weighing my stuff years ago.  Don't really care honestly.  I've gone ultra light and its not for me. I pack what I want and what I need, weight be damned.   I want good food, coffee, and I wanna sleep good.  If that comes at a weight penalty then I'll do a few extra squats and lunges.  The guy who struggles with a 50lb pack is gonna struggle with a 40lb pack.  Get some weight on your back and make your lungs burn a bit  before season and a few extra pounds is a non issue.

Mental toughness:  if you don't have some grit, it doesn't matter what your pack weighs or what gear you have, you will fail and you will come off the mountain early.  When it gets hard, lonely, or boring, attack the issue.  Always keep stepping!  Physically and mentally. It won't kill you.  Unless you walk off a cliff or mauled by a bear.  Then it will kill you :chuckle:

Like others have said, overall you've got a pretty good list going.  With time you'll figure out what you need/don't need.
This^

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

* Recent Topics

Yakama Nation Sheep Tags by PlateauNDN
[Today at 01:30:45 AM]

Roof tent by huntnnw
[Today at 01:19:15 AM]

Sell or trade Remington 770 .270 win by biggfish
[Today at 12:52:31 AM]

The shedding of velvet has begun by fishnfur
[Today at 12:23:55 AM]

Leftover multi-season tags by fishnfur