collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backup Pistol ********  (Read 9308 times)

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Backup Pistol ********
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 04:41:57 PM »
Ok new record stupid comment from a BELLEVUE gun store clerk.

“ Glock 10mm is the best bear gun made. If I was going to Alaska tomorrow, and needed a firearm to protect myself, I would rather have a Glock 10mm than a 12 gage with slugs and buckshot”

I love opinion that’s never been tempered with reality or experience !

* Best gun for bears, no. With hard cast bullets it will do. Remember the bear guide who killed one with a 9mm and 147g hardcasts? His daughter carries a 357 with 180g hardcasts for protection.

*I definitely would rather have a 10mm with hardcasts than buckshot. Only an idiot thinks buckshot is adequate for large game.

*Your animal brain kicks in when facing a 1000lb bear and you won't lie to yourself. Most peoples info is just regugetated drivel they heard somewhere. Actual testing, killing and encounters are realitivly rare and is lost amongst "counter" experts mountains of bull excrement.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
I don't ask people behind the counters for advise, their job is to check that it's unloaded then hand it to me, and put it away when I'm done or start the paper.
Truer words have never been spoken my friend.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
There is momentum for the 10mm. Even more specifically with  Underwood ammo Extreme Penetrator, you get penetration and a large wound channel.  The shift from large wheel guns is partially because of speed of follow up shots. I will see if I can find the video of the Alaskan who was changing to 10mm after killing a brown bear with a 44 on his second shot.  He felt he was damn lucky to get the second shot off in time.  He does some performance tests with a grizz skull and ballistic gel for both rounds.

I bought a Glock 40 this spring from a fellow member for my brown bear country sidearm.  The Underwood ammo will be on the way shortly.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 05:31:38 PM »
I haven't gone to the extreme penetrator; I don't quite buy into the large wound channel idea just yet.   I want a big chunk of hard lead smashing and shattering bone not poking little holes possibly leaving the bone intact.  I want broken shoulders, broken legs and big holes through skulls.

I'd like to see the extreme penetrator in a bear shoulder and see how it does.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
I misspoke in my earlier post, he did not kill a charging bear with the 44. He got one shot off and scared it off.  He explains it in the video a bit.  There are lots of other videos on the xtreme penetrater out there.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxL9r_1IF0
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:51:53 AM by Cylvertip »
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
 :) My young sons first bear, hit it with an 06, "pistol expert" with him was going to kill it with his 44 mag Ruger, Winchester ammo, 240 grain  soft points, shot it at the base of the skull twice, did not kill the bear, penetrated about 2-3 inches.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
I misspoke in my earlier post, he did not kill a charging bear with the 44. He got one shot off and scared it off.  He explains it in the video a bit.  There are lots of other videos on the xtreme penetration out there.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxL9r_1IF0

That bear skull is bleached and brittle, not really a fair comparison to a skull surrounded by fat, muscle and fur and hydrated bone. 

Having said that grizz skulls bouncing off bullets like Captain America's shield is a bit of a wife's tale too  :chuckle:   Truth is close to the bear holding it's head high in an aggressive charge the skull top is pretty horizontal rather than vertical like he shot it.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »
Guessing he shot it with the 44 that way since he had already plugged it in the forehead with the 10.  Just for demonstration purposes. 

200 rounds of the xtreme penetrater arriving in a  couple days :tup:
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: Backup Pistol Bullsxxt
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:22 PM »
Did you ask to see if they are a Forum member?   :tup:

Good one and I hope you asked if they have stolen any game cameras for members lately.......... :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 06:58:18 AM »
I pack a 9mm loaded with 147 Buffalo Bore ammo. Either in a G19 or Shield depending on the situation.

I've owned and shot lots of 44, 41, 357 and 10mm. My take away is the 40+ caliber revolvers are heavy cumbersome, and in a  real world bear charge situation I think you'll be lucky to get off follow up shots, plus if your charged how likely is that first shot going to be effective.

Same thing can be said for the 10mm. I've had the G20 and the G29, those are both handfuls when trying to shoot rapid fire with stout loads. Although I haven't shot one, I'm sure the G40 would be better in the recoil department, but I feel the 6" barrel is a great detractor for a self defense weapon.

According to Buffalo Bores website the .357 w/180 hardcasts is equal to the 10mm. I may just carry my 357 w/ 4" barrel this fall while in Grizzly, but haven't decided yet. I need to shoot it and the 9mm again before I decide.

That's my 2 cents worth, so take it for what it's worth.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
If we are picking a little at gun salesmen....I laugh "annoyed" when... you ask to see a pistol and you get the salesmen who gets the pistol out of the case, and has to show off his ninja skills on how to point a pistol proper and perfect like, then proceeds to recite a bunch of sound smart pointing/handling/aiming crap, that has no use to the situation.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 07:47:44 PM »
After a fair amount of homework and conversations, I settled on a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC. I have it loaded with Buffalo Bore 325gr hard cast.
I hope to never find out how good it works. 

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: Backup Pistol Bullsxxt
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
Did you ask to see if they are a Forum member?   :tup:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 10:09:56 PM »
Ok new record stupid comment from a BELLEVUE gun store clerk.

“ Glock 10mm is the best bear gun made. If I was going to Alaska tomorrow, and needed a firearm to protect myself, I would rather have a Glock 10mm than a 12 gage with slugs and buckshot”

I love opinion that’s never been tempered with reality or experience !

* Best gun for bears, no. With hard cast bullets it will do. Remember the bear guide who killed one with a 9mm and 147g hardcasts? His daughter carries a 357 with 180g hardcasts for protection.

*I definitely would rather have a 10mm with hardcasts than buckshot. Only an idiot thinks buckshot is adequate for large game.

*Your animal brain kicks in when facing a 1000lb bear and you won't lie to yourself. Most peoples info is just regugetated drivel they heard somewhere. Actual testing, killing and encounters are realitivly rare and is lost amongst "counter" experts mountains of bull excrement.

How can 10mm be better than buckshot? So 1x bullet of 10mm is better than 9x(at least) 9mm equivalent pellets at the same time ?

A lot of my family members and friends have and still hunt brown bear & wild boar with 00 or 000 buckshot back in Europe and it's 16 GAUGE, not even 12. Any animal drops in tracks if the bullet or pellet hits the brain or spine.

Offline Windwalker

• Sourdough
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal