collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: National shooting month  (Read 1524 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
National shooting month
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
Hit the range

It’s time to head to the range.

The Trump administration has released a presidential message announcing the beginning of National Shooting Sports Month.

“During National Shooting Sports Month, we celebrate the wonderful American tradition of shooting sports,” the statement says. “Shooting sports are a terrific reminder of our constitutional liberty and the attendant benefits that accrue to a free people: active friendship within families, between peers, and among communities for Americans living in small towns and large cities to experience the bounty of America’s great outdoors.

The statement goes on to explain the administration's prioritization to make shooting on public lands more accessible: “Under existing Federal law, for example, a portion of Federal excise tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition is dedicated to American wildlife research and habitat conservation, the statement says. “That is one reason why my Administration has prioritized making it easier for Americans to participate in shooting sports on public lands. By doing so, we are enhancing Americans’ ability to experience the unsurpassed beauty of our blessed Nation and we are better protecting our national treasures for future generations.”

“I encourage all Americans engaged in shooting sports to continue promoting a culture of safety and to continue exercising the responsibility and duty associated with the right to keep and bear arms,” the statement concludes.

Screen Shot From White House About National Shooting Sports Month
Screen Shot From White House About National Shooting Sports Month
Last year, Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke proclaimed August as National Sports Shooting Month. Zinke claims that while he was growing up he spent time hunting and fishing on public lands.

“Today I’m focused on continuing that tradition by announcing this August, and every August under my leadership at Interior will be proclaimed National Shooting Sports Month,” he stated.

Zinke goes on to claim that “as an NRA Lifetime Member,” one of his top priorities is to give more access to hunt and fish on public lands by expanding access and exploring ideas for more shooting ranges on public lands.

“[What] I want to see is hunting and fishing become elite sports,” he adds.

Celebrating National Shooting Sports Month a little early. Step one to celebrating is knowing the safety rules. Thanks to all the Wisconsin sportsmen and women who contribute tens of millions s of dollars toward conservation every year. pic.twitter.com/wseoihts49

— Secretary Ryan Zinke

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: National shooting month
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »
 :tup:

I really wish we could get some legislation going to make wdfw or state parks or some gov agency create and run shooting ranges. Lots of other states do it. I think it could generate some revenue and also help keep other public lands clean and open.

Online Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:36:45 AM »
I think we need public ranges.  I just read the statewide ban on shooting on public lands is in effect due to wildfires.  Talk about good timing.  With mica range down and lack of close  ranges open to the public in Spokane I need to find a good place to sight in my rifle soon. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
:tup:

I really wish we could get some legislation going to make wdfw or state parks or some gov agency create and run shooting ranges. Lots of other states do it. I think it could generate some revenue and also help keep other public lands clean and open.

I think that would be a fantastic idea

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
I think we need public ranges.  I just read the statewide ban on shooting on public lands is in effect due to wildfires.  Talk about good timing.  With mica range down and lack of close  ranges open to the public in Spokane I need to find a good place to sight in my rifle soon. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timing isn’t very good on this I suppose, maybe better in April, but appreciate that this was even on his platter with all the other crap going on.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
Mica range down??? When did that happen
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
Mica range down??? When did that happen
Couple weeks ago. Fire shut it down indefinitely.

Hopefully it can re open eventually
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:26:09 PM by BULLBLASTER »

Offline hunting4sanity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »
Well, to celebrate NSS month I'd better load up a few hundred more rounds and head to the range. We do need good locations for the public to use for target practice. I do wish that more people would take care of the places they shoot though, there are a couple of BLM chunks on the way into town and they're littered with glass, appliances, furniture, etc. I do enjoy getting out with my sons and shooting, very valuable time.
Disappointments are inevitable, misery is optional.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]