collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Generator Carburetor Change - Sound legit?  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Generator Carburetor Change - Sound legit?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
I was amazed how small things get in the carb

Yes, you need to use a small hammer

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
Being retired I now fix these things my self,,it's easier to buy the carb and replace it yourself. I rebuilt my Honda 2000 carb,watching a video.. it felt good saving labor,did the same with honda outboard,just put a new carb on that. My honda has no drain,i use seafoam and run it once a month.. fire up a one of those nasty poodle turds you smoke and enjoy saving a few bucks, :chuckle:

i have (2) of those 2000's the screw is directly on the bottom of the carb bowl with a tube that runs to bottom of gen? maybe your carb bowl is backwards and hiding the screw? Watch for that damn oring on the bowl!

I just kill the fuel valve and run the machine till it quits.  Seems like a fine way to do it.

sure it will work, but have you seen the  holes in the carb ports and the jets.. any spec of sand will mess them up.. this bowl drain can remove any of the fine particles that have settled in the bowl vs sucking up into jetting....
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »
You are a good man.  If I were near you, my shop or garage would be open to you any time.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
If you can't take care of your neighbors when they're in need, you're a POS. I know from personal experience that many on this forum are the same way. Thanks Flound3rz.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 04:34:36 AM »
In addition to the $45 I'd already put down for cleaning and tune up, they told me it would be $55 for labor and $135 for a Honda GX 120 carb. Seemed a little pricey. So, I checked on the internet. First, I found a genuine Honda GX 120 carb for $65. Then, I found cheap Chinese replacements for 10-20.00. A few questions.
honda is weird, depending on where their engines are manufactured.  there could be a dozen(or more) carbs available for a different engine, and a lot depends on where it was manufactured.  if you have a japanese engine, that carb might be $150...if it was made in thailand, it could be $15.  mind you, this is for the same engine model and displacement.  that thai carb would work just fine on the japanese engine, but it might not be the "OEM" replacement and not kosher per EPA's wacky emission regs.

when i was in the small engine business, i would sell the customer one of the cheaper carbs unless they asked me otherwise(and nobody ever did), especially over trying to make a badly corroded one(from ethanol tainted gas sitting it it) work.

i would probably stay away from the chinese knock offs, often they are put together just well enough to work "OK," and generally don't hold up very well(quality of the body castings are usually bad quality and corrode easily.)
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »
Well, I did go with the knock-off and it was cheap. We'll see how long it lasts. It runs smoothly now.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »
ethanol free gas is the key to small engine reliability.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
It ran alright for almost 3 weeks, 4 hours a day. I'll keep E-Free gas in mind for next year. Not sure who has it around here.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »
It ran alright for almost 3 weeks, 4 hours a day. I'll keep E-Free gas in mind for next year. Not sure who has it around here.

piano, Efree does work great, the death of these things is sitting idle with fuel.. they gunk up so darn fast... draining bowl and all lines for storage is key.. like i have said before, the jets are tiny, a fine grain of sand will mess up performance, they come with inline filter but they only do so much ... if you use more often, run a stabilizer in gas on last tank to treat the carb. when cleaning, if inside of bowl is "rusty" get a new one... i run a pair 6 weeks continuous a season (starting this weekend!) to mid November.. preseason carb cleaning makes them just hum along and i run regular unleaded from closest store to  camp....
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]