collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Very thankful to have drawn a 2018 Selkirk Bull Moose,  (Read 18703 times)

Offline Roobugsdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Very thankful to have drawn a 2018 Selkirk Bull Moose,
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
I was lucky enough to draw one of the fifteen Selkirk Bull Moose tags for 2018. I have been a member of the forum since 2011 and I typically don't write posts.  Instead, I enjoy reading other people's posts and looking at photos from their hunts. 

Since I found out that I drew this OIL tag I have researched the hell out of Shiras Moose. This forum has helped me a ton by giving me some of the best hands on info out there from people who've hunted this area.  I have went back through every post regarding Selkirk moose all the way back to 2007. I have bought maps and spent hours on Google Earth looking at areas. I just spent the last three days over in the unit getting familiar with the area. I also have three more scouting weekends planned in the future. Before I went over I decided to divide the area in half (north and south) there is a definite difference in the country from the top part of the unit and the bottom part of the unit. I was able to find moose sign in all the areas I spent time in this weekend. I was even lucky enough to see a medium size Bull in one of the areas. My hope is that all of this ground work will pay off and help me fill my tag this fall. 

My purpose of this post is to thank all of you who have equipped me with the knowledge I need to make my hunt successful. I hope to pay it forward in the next few years and help others who are lucky enough to draw this tag in the future. I look forward to hopefully adding my own pics of a nice Bull Moose! Thank you to those of you that have shared your own experiences and knowledge for the rest of us.

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Re: Very thankful to have drawn a 2018 Selkirk Bull Moose,
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:30:16 PM »
With an intro like that, who couldn’t be rooting for you? Best of luck.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »
Great post and sounds like you are doing it right and scouting and should have a successful hunt! I am zero help in that unit but I wish you the best and can’t wait to see some pics.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »
congrats sound like you did your home work   cant wait to follow the hunt good luck

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
Congrats on the draw!  :tup: my buddy also drew the Selkirk bull tag he’s pumped!
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:01:01 PM »
Congrats! Good luck and keep us posted!
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
Congrats on your draw and enjoy your hunt! Looking forward to the results!  :tup:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 08:42:47 AM »
With an intro like that, who couldn’t be rooting for you? Best of luck.

:yeah:   :yeah:
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
North scookum lake. Pass the resort and take the next left that runs up the east side of the lake and ends up at the dead end gravel pit kinda spot.  Scout that top
Pics a few years old but I often find big bulls up there
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »
Congrats to you sir, I hope one day to draw this tag.  How would you classify the difference between north and south Selkirk? One is more brushy? or what.  Im heading over there in a couple weeks to scout for elk but if I run in to any bulls I will let you know.

Offline Roobugsdad

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
I found the northern part of the unit to be more timber with fewer clear cuts. The southern part of the unit had a lot of older clear cuts and was more open,  it all is thick with scrub brush as others have stated. This is just what I found in the areas that I covered.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:41:55 PM »
Can you go out on stimson land ?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »
I was lucky enough to draw one of the fifteen Selkirk Bull Moose tags for 2018. I have been a member of the forum since 2011 and I typically don't write posts.  Instead, I enjoy reading other people's posts and looking at photos from their hunts. 

Since I found out that I drew this OIL tag I have researched the hell out of Shiras Moose. This forum has helped me a ton by giving me some of the best hands on info out there from people who've hunted this area.  I have went back through every post regarding Selkirk moose all the way back to 2007. I have bought maps and spent hours on Google Earth looking at areas. I just spent the last three days over in the unit getting familiar with the area. I also have three more scouting weekends planned in the future. Before I went over I decided to divide the area in half (north and south) there is a definite difference in the country from the top part of the unit and the bottom part of the unit. I was able to find moose sign in all the areas I spent time in this weekend. I was even lucky enough to see a medium size Bull in one of the areas. My hope is that all of this ground work will pay off and help me fill my tag this fall. 

My purpose of this post is to thank all of you who have equipped me with the knowledge I need to make my hunt successful. I hope to pay it forward in the next few years and help others who are lucky enough to draw this tag in the future. I look forward to hopefully adding my own pics of a nice Bull Moose! Thank you to those of you that have shared your own experiences and knowledge for the rest of us.

Sounds like you have found your way around. My advice is to save most of your time for just before the opening of moose hunting season and during season. There are no where as many moose as there used to be, you might get lucky and make a kill quickly, but be prepared to spend a couple weeks if needed during season to find a good bull. If your time and finances are not limited disregard my comments, but if you have limitations save most of it for the last couple days before season and during season when you can shoot what you find! :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 10:36:36 AM »
Good luck, please come back and share your trips!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Roobugsdad

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
Can you go out on stimson land ?

What I was told by the biologist in the area, is yes you can hunt the timber company land. Its mostly gated, so you have to walk into most of their properties. I know there is someone on here who knows a lot more than I do. So if they want to chime in and confirm or deny what I have said, please do.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]