collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Camera thiefs  (Read 12417 times)

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Camera thiefs
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »
I am similar in approach to Dan-O, but cheaper cameras and usually do not leave in a  too obvious spot.  Left one pretty obvious last time, but I am not sure I really like that camera so would be less disappointed if that one goes missing. Its about 5-7 years old and pics up motion a little slow.

To the folks that hang their cameras high off the ground, do you climb trees or do you have a portable set of steps? I have thought about hanging them higher just not sure how I want to go about it.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »
Mr nieve here. What do they do with them once they steal them. Use them or sell them or? Is there nothing safe anymore. Outdoorsmen\women should be the one group left in this broken world where we could count on each other. If I am hunting and a fellow hunter needs help, I bag the hunting for the day and give them my time. I guess most would do the same, its the 10% of slimeballs that ruin it😣.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »
About a week ago i came across a camo bushnell cam strapped to a tree at waist level in ferry county.  Wasnt secured at all, just the strap it came with.  Kinda asking to be stolen, set up like that.    Down low, zero security measures, on a major game trail.  Curious to see if i get a pic of me waving at the cam posted in the people on cam thread here.

asking to be stolen? how about leave your hands off peoples crap! It doesn't matter if they are locked up or not. I have a buddy who runs a ton of cams in ferry and has had chains, cables and steel boxes axed!

I didnt steal it, and i wouldnt steal it, and im not saying its okay to.  But the fact is, putting them in a highly visible spot with zero precautions is asking for trouble.  There are a lot of lowlifes out there, and im just being realistic about it.  Dont shoot the messenger.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:37:56 PM by Bango skank »

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
 :yeah:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
I’ve taken one trail cam from the woods that wasn’t mine.

It was on a piece of private land that only I had permission to be on and it was after the trespasser threatened me about being there. I did replace the cam with the landowners business card tho.  :chuckle:

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »
I’ve taken one trail cam from the woods that wasn’t mine.

It was on a piece of private land that only I had permission to be on and it was after the trespasser threatened me about being there. I did replace the cam with the landowners business card tho.  :chuckle:

I see nothing wrong with that.  I found a treestand stashed on posted private land that i have permission to hunt.  I went and told the landowner about it, and he said it shouldnt be there, its yours now.  So i took it, and its been collecting dust in my garage since.  Whoever owned that treestand shouldnt have been trespassing.  Screw em.

Offline eastfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »
About a week ago i came across a camo bushnell cam strapped to a tree at waist level in ferry county.  Wasnt secured at all, just the strap it came with.  Kinda asking to be stolen, set up like that.    Down low, zero security measures, on a major game trail.  Curious to see if i get a pic of me waving at the cam posted in the people on cam thread here.

asking to be stolen? how about leave your hands off peoples crap! It doesn't matter if they are locked up or not. I have a buddy who runs a ton of cams in ferry and has had chains, cables and steel boxes axed!
:yeah: :yeah:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »

:yeah: :yeah:

I don't think he was saying it should be stolen but as any of us know that run cameras, there are too many POS people out there that would. If possible, I do everything I can to deter theft of my gear.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 04:41:01 PM »
 Yeah, I know what your saying. And I had did everything possible. Either way, I still feel that that the majority of trail cams are stolen from so called other hunters. And that's the part that really chaps me.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 01:11:59 AM »
I’ve had four stolen in the last 5 years. In heavy steel boxes with locks and cables. Most of my cams are around 2 miles or more in off any major sort of road/easement. pretty disappointing when you think about it. I’ve found plenty that were just hung with the factory strap. Not mine, just walk on by.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:18:48 AM by greenhead_killer »

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
 :yeah: it’s a pain packing in those heavy boxes but worth it.  Had a guy try to break in one of my medium type boxes and he almost got my camera.  This d bag steals cameras in the backcountry by corral pass. He pretty good at finding them, hoping for a face pic some day to post on the net!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
So, tell me this, that d bag that is stealing around d corral pass. Mostly likely a mushroom picker? I think not.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
So, tell me this, that d bag that is stealing around d corral pass. Mostly likely a mushroom picker? I think not.
nope, I believe they are hunters, especially where my cameras have been.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
No one knows who is a thief but a thief  :twocents:

To try and say that only a hunter would go out off the beaten path just to look for ($200. plus) trail cams to steal is not thinking about value.A berry picker or mushroom picker can easily buy berries and mushrooms at the store for far less trouble and cost in my op, adding fuel and all that yet they still do.Thieves steal the dumbest things just to sell them on CL or whatever.They don't want to work,be responsible so going out and stealing and selling it is the only job they want.A lot of the times they are already at the trail head watching you leave your vehicle (this why i always write down the other license plates before leaving my vehicle) so they can steal out of the rig while you're gone.  :twocents:

Another thought,A nature hiking couple may have gotten caught on that cam way out in the bush doing natural things and seen it after the fact and went all in to get that cam  :chuckle: :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »
 :yeah:
Exactly.
Assuming it’s a hunter without proof........we’ll we all know what happens when you ass u me.
Sad that some hunters feel the need to trash their own. IMHO
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal