collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Camera thiefs  (Read 12396 times)

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: Camera thiefs
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
Every year it's the blame game.............hunters are the worst people on the planet.  :beatdeadhorse:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
I'm lucky if a can re locate my own cams most of the time... :chuckle: I've never had a human on an elk cam. Maybe I'm just lucky I don t know.  I guess if a guy finds my cams in the first place, has the energy to get to where they are, defeats my security and steals them. He must want them way more than me.

Offline shallowforks

• Hunter
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 11:32:00 AM »
Had 2 stolen. Both on private property, one most likely another hunter, the other by a tenant who lived at an old farmhouse on the property. She stole it and gave it to the county sheriff and said it belonged to a trespasser. She did not like having a hunter on the property:) I was able to retrieve the camera from the sheriff, and after a lengthy debate with the tenant we compromised that I would move to the farthest corner of the property away from the farmhouse and in return she would leave me alone. Ended up killing my biggest whitetail to date at that far corner not more than a few days Later. And I owe it all to her :chuckle:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »
It's usually a Hunter, because hunters don't like people in "their" secret spot, and don't want anyone seeing "their" bucks/bulls.  Sadly there's d-bags in every demographic.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 01:50:25 PM »
Had 2 stolen. Both on private property, one most likely another hunter, the other by a tenant who lived at an old farmhouse on the property. She stole it and gave it to the county sheriff and said it belonged to a trespasser. She did not like having a hunter on the property:) I was able to retrieve the camera from the sheriff, and after a lengthy debate with the tenant we compromised that I would move to the farthest corner of the property away from the farmhouse and in return she would leave me alone. Ended up killing my biggest whitetail to date at that far corner not more than a few days Later. And I owe it all to her :chuckle:

Well, there's one case of anti-hunters taking a cam.  :dunno: I doubt that's the only one. Which brings up an interesting point: when you guys have lost cams on public land, do you contact the FS and/or the sheriff to see if someone turned them in?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:51:34 PM by pianoman9701 »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
 :yeah: and that has been asked on numerous post just like this one.

How many are just lost?Put it in such a remoter back woods spot they can't find it and assume it was stolen.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
I have never lost one yet, just temporarily misplaced the tree it was on.  :chuckle:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
I wonder how many of these “stolen” cams are actually nearby and were pulled off the tree by a bear or elk? (we’ve had more elk mess with the cams than bears) We have had a few look like they were stolen, but a grid search of the area always found them. One was 50yds away in the ferns with teeth marks on it.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
It's usually a Hunter, because hunters don't like people in "their" secret spot, and don't want anyone seeing "their" bucks/bulls.  Sadly there's d-bags in every demographic.

So, tell me this, that d bag that is stealing around d corral pass. Mostly likely a mushroom picker? I think not.
nope, I believe they are hunters, especially where my cameras have been.

So tell us, WHAT PROOF do you have that it is "usually a hunter"?

Thief's suck. They come in all walks of life.
Does it really matter WHO stole it? ……..its gone.
Does it really matter WHY they stole it?.....its gone.

All that will come of hunters putting the blame on other hunters is nothing but ammo for the anti's & greenies.
Go back and read through this thread as if you were an Anti-Hunter. What message are you sending out to the masses on the internet about hunters? ...........They're all thieves?
Most I believe are not.

Hunting/Hunters already have plenty of folks already against us, PLEASE do not stoke their fire by claiming it HAS to be a hunter, when in fact you have zero idea who/what took the camera.

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »
Take a walk around your area. Bet you find it laying on the ground. With about a thousand sky pictures. I run a ton of cams. Year round. Never had one stolen. Only had a few people on cam. All but one guy never knew it was there. I always cable mine to a tree. Cause that nylon strap don’t secure it to a tree. A curious bear, elk or deer can and will yank that thing right off. Squirrels will chew the strap. This mostly happens when you set your bait and then hand the cam. You just transferred the scent from bait to cam.

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »
Bear box lagged to tree with 2 6 inch torque head bolts. Teb feet off ground. Yeah, I run a bunch of cams too. I have at least 40 out right now. Pretty sure I know what I'm doing when I set them up. Not trying pissy, but no elk, bear, deer, cougar, squirrel or opossum removed it. Evidently maybe a moose decided to climb a tree and stand on my camera box..... :chuckle:

Offline builtfordtough

• Longhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »
My bil and I found a new spot on the westside for elk. We have scouted our tail off the last 3 months. We have 6 cameras out and only two of his are locked. My four are strapped with just the normal nylon strap it came with. Ours are all set up on heavy game trails and so far a ton of elk and I guy on camera. We went and investigated a different area near by and found the spot where we need to be opening morning archery. As I looked around I noticed a tree stand in perfect position. This guy has been hunting it for some time I would assume. My bro in law wanted to climb the stand but I told him leave it alone it's not our property. I found 1 cam and gave a wave. I would hope if this fellow Hunter finds our cameras I hope he would show the same respect. Maybe I'm just to trustworthy idk. Going to check tomorrow am again and hope they are all there with a truck load of elk on em again

Offline Thehowler

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
I’m surprised that I have never had one taken. I run 6 cameras through the year, useually never attached  to anything, just well hidden.
Elk are a game cams worst enemy.
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2018, 10:03:53 PM »
Bear box lagged to tree with 2 6 inch torque head bolts. Teb feet off ground. Yeah, I run a bunch of cams too. I have at least 40 out right now. Pretty sure I know what I'm doing when I set them up. Not trying pissy, but no elk, bear, deer, cougar, squirrel or opossum removed it. Evidently maybe a moose decided to climb a tree and stand on my camera box..... :chuckle:

Honest questions,
1. How did you get it up ten feet off ground when you/it was 4 miles into the wilderness?
2. Any Locks on it, cable or pad lock?
3. How was it taken? locks cut, bolts removed, pry bared off, Etc????
4. How in the heck do you keep track of, (or have the time to maintain) 40+ cameras?
5. Is this the only one you have ever had stolen?
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2018, 05:47:10 AM »

Honest questions,
1. How did you get it up ten feet off ground when you/it was 4 miles into the wilderness?
2. Any Locks on it, cable or pad lock?
3. How was it taken? locks cut, bolts removed, pry bared off, Etc????
4. How in the heck do you keep track of, (or have the time to maintain) 40+ cameras?
5. Is this the only one you have ever had stolen?

Isn’t it illegal to use lag bolts or drill, screw and/or nail anything into a tree on federal land?  Asking for a friend.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]