collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Jigging for salmon  (Read 5704 times)

Offline elkchaser54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Jigging for salmon
« on: August 10, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
Hey guys what's a setup for salmon look like when people jig for them ? What lures and weights? I assume pretty heavy tackle is needed.  Looking to get a setup to pass the time while soaking crab pots. 

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: Jigging for salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
Super simple. Point Wilson Darts are the standby, but there are other options. Almost limitless color options, but white is really all you need. I like to use 50# braid with about a 10' 20# mono leader. Just tie it on and go. Usually jigs are most effective when the fish are concentrating on bottom bait like candlefish, but can be used mid-water too. Fish will usually pick up the jig on the drop, so feel for the subtle tap as your lowering your rod. Jigging can be frustrating at times, but man it's a lot of fun when it's happening.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
I still see a few people doing it on a regular basis, I have a white PWD that gets out every once in a while but there are certainly more effective ways to catch them.  When fishing is slow, my kids like to get over a bait ball and hit the bait with a Sabiki setup and that is when I usually bring out the jig and go for salmon.

You can also mooch with anchovy or herring and just drift along.

Finally, don't discount Sand Dabs, you can get pretty good sized ones near crabbing areas and they are excellent beer battered.  Anyone who likes fast action fishing usually gets into the flounder pounding.  Rumor is that crab like them too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:02:48 AM by Stein »

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 11:06:54 AM »
I still see a few people doing it on a regular basis, I have a white PWD that gets out every once in a while but there are certainly more effective ways to catch them.  When fishing is slow, my kids like to get over a bait ball and hit the bait with a Sabiki setup and that is when I usually bring out the jig and go for salmon.

You can also mooch with anchovy or herring and just drift along.

Finally, don't discount Sand Dabs, you can get pretty good sized ones near crabbing areas and they are excellent beer battered.  Anyone who likes fast action fishing usually gets into the flounder pounding.  Rumor is that crab like them too.

This. Flounder fishing is a lot of fun on light tackle.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »
Then there are these jigs made for lighter tackle in rivers made by a friend of mine in Aberdeen.

http://bradsjigs.com/
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline throttlejocky20

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
Its all i do out there when done right in the right spots its the only way to go. problem is most people dont know how to do it effectivly
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
One of the more fast, effective, and versatile fishing techniques. Don’t forget Buzz Bombs, kind of a hybrid jig but very effective.

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:23 PM »
Stupid question, but can jigging from the shore produce fish?  Obviously its a different presentation horizontal instead of vertical.....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:45:45 PM by Cascade »

Offline throttlejocky20

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »
couldnt tell you i have hit silvers and pinks on buzz bombs so maybe but i only jig vertical. kings hit the jig on the fall. I would assume this action is what invites the bite. Doubt you get the same action jigging horizontal.
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
Stupid question, but can jigging from the shroe produce fish?  Obviously its a different presentation horizontal instead of vertical.....

Yes,
I use to use Buzz-bombs, Point Wilson Darts, and Kastmasters off Point No Point with great success.
You pull, let it flutter, and repeat. They usually hit on the flutter. I have caught more Kings with Buzz-bombs and Point Wilson Darts, and more Slivers of Kastmasters though.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
Stupid question, but can jigging from the shroe produce fish?  Obviously its a different presentation horizontal instead of vertical.....

Yes,
I use to use Buzz-bombs, Point Wilson Darts, and Kastmasters off Point No Point with great success.
You pull, let it flutter, and repeat. They usually hit on the flutter. I have caught more Kings with Buzz-bombs and Point Wilson Darts, and more Slivers of Kastmasters though.

Thank you.  I sent you a PM.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:32 PM »
Hey guys what's a setup for salmon look like when people jig for them ? What lures and weights? I assume pretty heavy tackle is needed.  Looking to get a setup to pass the time while soaking crab pots.

Make sure that you change out any treble hooks to single point hooks.  That's now the law,

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »
I fished Buzz Bombs, off the shore for many years. But I have to say, I never thought of it as jigging horizontally. But when I stop and think about it, that's exactly what I was doing.   

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 07:35:45 PM »

Make sure that you change out any treble hooks to single point hooks.  That's now the law,

Good point!
Use to replace all the hooks with Gamakatsu reds.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »
If the fish are around and biting it can be very effective.  I haven't bought a pt wilson in years, any lead slab jig will work. Sportco used to sell a knockoff version of the pt wilson anchovy for around 2 or 3 bucks, not the 7 or 8 like the genuine article.   I like white, green or some combination of the two.  Keep your line vertical, i use my kicker in reverse to keep the wind from blowing me against the current.  Pay attenion on the drop, if it goes slack or you "hit bottom" too early set the hook!
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal