collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Finally bit the bullet and joined the suppressor club  (Read 3440 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Finally bit the bullet and joined the suppressor club
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
Started the process today to purchase two suppressors.  YHM Resonator 30 cal's.  Now the waiting game begins.   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Gonna be a long 6 months. 

So for those who have purchased suppressors, what did you do to pass the time? 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Finally bit the bullet and joined the suppressor club
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »
Where did you shop?  Did they help with the paperwork ?

Offline 10mmg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
I spent a lot of time cryin myself to sleep. I will say it was worth the wait. It makes shooting rifles much more pleasant especially on the wet side where trees hold sound. It makes 22lr really fun and stupid quiet. Sorry I can’t offer more advice to make time pass quicker. Hope your 6 months is accurate mine where 14.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
May be the year to hibernate lol
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
Where did you shop?  Did they help with the paperwork ?

One shot.....they do it all.  I go back next week with fingerprints and pictures.  We sit down for 45 minutes fill out all the paperwork, pay and wait.  He sets up the trust free of charge.  All in all it is a pretty pain free experience...minus the hit to the wallet. 

Offline WAElkhunter89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »
It's a long and painful wait, but in the end it is highly worth it. I have two SilencerCo Omegas that I got last year, surprisingly it only took about three months to get the stamps back. They were both filed as an individual versus a trust. My SBRs on the other hand were filed as a trust and took forever. Planning on buying two more SilencerCo Osprey 45s when I get back to the US in a few months. The joys of shooting a suppressed weapon are amazing. I went through Rainier Arms for my Omegas and am going to go through them for my Ospreys as well. Great group of guys to deal with.
Ain't nothing better than the adrenaline you get when seeing an animal in the wild.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
Question for the guys that have done it multiple times - do you have to do all the paperwork for the trust (or individual if going that route) and stamp for each suppressor?  Or do you do it once then don't have to worry about it again in the future?
Thanks.

Offline WAElkhunter89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
Question for the guys that have done it multiple times - do you have to do all the paperwork for the trust (or individual if going that route) and stamp for each suppressor?  Or do you do it once then don't have to worry about it again in the future?
Thanks.

Have to do all the paperwork, fingerprints and photos for every suppressor. Luckily I did my first two stamps through my trust before they changed the paperwork process. Now, everyone that is listed on the trust must submit two fingerprint cards and two photos. In my case I have four individuals on my trust, that would mean each of them has to get their fingerprints done and their photo taken. My two most recent suppressors were filed as an individual so only I had to get the fingerprint cards and photo. I've also heard rumor that individual applications are being processed much faster than trust applications. Then again, if you only have yourself on the trust, it will be fairly simple as well, but most people at least have two individuals on the trust in the event one passes away.
Ain't nothing better than the adrenaline you get when seeing an animal in the wild.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
Thanks.

Have to do all the paperwork, fingerprints and photos for every suppressor. Luckily I did my first two stamps through my trust before they changed the paperwork process. Now, everyone that is listed on the trust must submit two fingerprint cards and two photos. In my case I have four individuals on my trust, that would mean each of them has to get their fingerprints done and their photo taken. My two most recent suppressors were filed as an individual so only I had to get the fingerprint cards and photo. I've also heard rumor that individual applications are being processed much faster than trust applications. Then again, if you only have yourself on the trust, it will be fairly simple as well, but most people at least have two individuals on the trust in the event one passes away.

Good info, appreciate it  :tup:

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
After further discussion with the shop owner, I decided to buy them as singles and avoid the trust.  At the end of the day there was no real advantage to the trust.  If I die my wife can transfer them to her name for free (if I understand correctly).  If my son or daughter wants them they just have to pay for a tax stamp and transfer them.......with any luck the estate will have enough money there will be no financial burden.  If you damage one shoot one out or sell it the trust is gone and you would have to do a trust for your next suppressors.   Just seems like a Hassel for no real benefit. 

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
After further discussion with the shop owner, I decided to buy them as singles and avoid the trust.  At the end of the day there was no real advantage to the trust.  If I die my wife can transfer them to her name for free (if I understand correctly).  If my son or daughter wants them they just have to pay for a tax stamp and transfer them.......with any luck the estate will have enough money there will be no financial burden.  If you damage one shoot one out or sell it the trust is gone and you would have to do a trust for your next suppressors.   Just seems like a Hassel for no real benefit.

Going with a trust, since the passing of 41F, doesn't offer the same advantages as it once did.  There's still advantages to using one, but they definitely aren't as significant as they once were.

Best advice I can give you with regard to the agony of "the wait" is just do everything you can to not think about suppressors.  For me, the first month or so was the worst because my purchases were so fresh in my mind but then I kind of forgot about them and before I knew it, six months had passed and I got the call to come pick them up.  Also, telling yourself it'll take a year is better than letting yourself think it will only be six months, that way if it takes longer you aren't heartbroken and if it's less you're pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and don't let anyone bullsh1t you "the wait" gets easier after you buy your first can.  I have six of these silly things now and the wait pretty much sucked every time.

Congrats on the new purchase and once you start shooting suppressed, you'll quickly forget about what it cost you and not only want more but you'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.  :tup:

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »
I’m about 5 month into my own wait and starting to get anxious.  Luckily hunting season is right around the corner which should help ease the pain a bit.  I was also told there’s no such thing as only owning one, this may become a spendy habit.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
I’m about 5 month into my own wait and starting to get anxious.  Luckily hunting season is right around the corner which should help ease the pain a bit.  I was also told there’s no such thing as only owning one, this may become a spendy habit.

That's why I bought two .... the first time.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »

I agree there's not as much advantage to the trust any more. However, that last statement in bold is incorrect. The trust is not tied to the suppressor, it's tied to you. The trust goes away when you die; you can add or remove items to it as you like. There is no need to set up another trust to buy another suppressor (or any other item); you just add it to the trust you have.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »

I agree there's not as much advantage to the trust any more. However, that last statement in bold is incorrect. The trust is not tied to the suppressor, it's tied to you. The trust goes away when you die; you can add or remove items to it as you like. There is no need to set up another trust to buy another suppressor (or any other item); you just add it to the trust you have.

Thanks for the clarification......That makes more sense.  I must have misunderstood what was said...still not much benefit for added paperwork.  It would reason a trust could be set up at any time, so in the future if I change my mind I could set a trust up????

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]