collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: S&W SD9 VE thoughts and/or experiences?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
S&W SD9 VE thoughts and/or experiences?
« on: August 14, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »
Says it all in the title.   :)

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: S&W SD9 VE thoughts and/or experiences?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
I used to own one.  It was a decent pistol for the price.  The double action only trigger pull left a lot to be desired (long and kind of rough).  But it functioned well and I never had a jam or fail to fire in the couple hundred rounds I put through it (mostly fmj ammo).

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
I think the SD was the updated version of the old Sigma starting around 2011 or 2012.  The biggest complaint you hear about them is the trigger is a little on the heavy side, but that can be fixed to some extent with a kit from Apex.

These have always been a very solid and inexpensive gun.  They always seem to function with anything you put through them and they generally shoot well.  They tend to get frowned upon because they lack the "cool factor" and like I mentioned above, the triggers usually aren't very good, but if you are looking for an inexpensive gun that always goes bang and shoots straight, they're as good a choice as any.

When I bought my S&W 500, some years back, Smith & Wesson had a promotional deal going that with the purchase of a new 500 you could get one of their Sigma's in 9mm or 40 for $50, I gladly paid another 50 bucks and got one in 40.  That Sigma may not have the cool factor of many of my other guns but I'd have zero concern grabbing it to protect my or my families life with it. 

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
Not knocking the gun but if you wait till there is a good sale around the holidays you can get a better gun for almost the same price. I got a Walther PPS with 3 mags 8,7,6 rounds for a little over $325 from Sportsmans. XD's are on sale and are fantastic guns for the price. Like I said not trying to knock the gun but there are guns with better triggers already in better guns that will be available for similar prices(assuming your looking at around 300-mid 300's). Purpose of the gun? concealed, woods, plinking maybe all 3? I like to buy guns that come out of the box the way I want them to be. It's part of the reason I'm not a big glock fan. I can buy a Walther or XD for the same price and get a gun I don't have to monkey with to be satisfied with. Also if price is an issue, look for maybe some used LEO or used in general. Guys buy guns all the time, don't care for them and sell them for discount. I would also look at Canik as I've heard good things for a similar price. I would go to a gun range if possible and rent it, shoot it and make up your mind.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
Not knocking the gun but if you wait till there is a good sale around the holidays you can get a better gun for almost the same price. I got a Walther PPS with 3 mags 8,7,6 rounds for a little over $325 from Sportsmans. XD's are on sale and are fantastic guns for the price. Like I said not trying to knock the gun but there are guns with better triggers already in better guns that will be available for similar prices(assuming your looking at around 300-mid 300's). Purpose of the gun? concealed, woods, plinking maybe all 3? I like to buy guns that come out of the box the way I want them to be. It's part of the reason I'm not a big glock fan. I can buy a Walther or XD for the same price and get a gun I don't have to monkey with to be satisfied with. Also if price is an issue, look for maybe some used LEO or used in general. Guys buy guns all the time, don't care for them and sell them for discount. I would also look at Canik as I've heard good things for a similar price. I would go to a gun range if possible and rent it, shoot it and make up your mind.

Thanks.  Not purchasing, a friend just came into one and I was curious about them.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »
They're not bad guns, I did a lot of research on them for myself. The trigger is the only thing that takes some time to get use too

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]