collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hammocks v Tents?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline huntingdog16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Hammocks v Tents?
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »
Pretty much have my whole pack in line for elk season but am still stuck on one thing. Due to lack of time being able to scout I haven't been able to test out trying a hammock in the back country. I've tried tents but with trying to cut some weight off my pack I want to try to use a hammock this season. For those of you who use hammocks what are your thoughts compared to a tent?

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Hammocks v Tents?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
I've never used a hammock on a hunting trip. But have slept in my daughters hammock in the backyard a few times this summer.
If you are a side or stomach sleeper it is not a good option, for me at least. I think it is more comfortable than a tent and the ground, but IMO better for reading and relaxing and not a good nights sleep.
If I were to use one in back country I would try to get an insulated pad as the cold seeps in pretty easy on the underside.

Offline huntingdog16

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Didn't even think about A pad

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »
I used to sleep in a hammock on hot nights in summer in my single days and I had to always have something thick underneath me or I'd get chilly when it would drop into the 50s. I'd definitely recommend a pad.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
The hammock sleepers I've been around always end up in the tent.
Just sayin.

Offline duramax588

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »
Under quilt for the hammock works good when it’s a little colder and your not messing with a pad. I have used a hammock a lot and that’s the way to go in my opinion

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 11:37:33 AM »
I have backpacked multiple times with a hammock the last few years. I am more comfortable in a hammock, than on the ground. I sleep on my side a lot, and do just fine in a hammock. Not all people are comfortable in a hammock, though.
But you're not really going to save that much weight. The hammock and fly are about the same weight as a lightweight one person tent.
You need a pad either tent or hammock. The underquilts are very nice, but the lightweight ones can get spendy.
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
+1 on the underquilt. With a pad its tough to lay at an angle and get flat. You will need it to stay warm. There are lots of videos on youtube for the best way to hang your hammock. It is a lot more comfortable than sleeping in a tent and if you do it right you will have a great sleep. After a long day hiking its way better than sitting on a log or stump too.

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
Under quilt for the hammock works good when it’s a little colder and your not messing with a pad. I have used a hammock a lot and that’s the way to go in my opinion
:yeah:
Because you're compressing your sleeping bag between yourself and the hammock, it loses nearly all insulation value and is downright cold when it's under 50 or 60. If there's a breeze or wind, it plain sucks. The ground is warm – warmer than the air at least, and there's a dang good reason we've been sleeping on it for millennia. You need a layer of insulation underneath your hammock that hangs freely, or at the very least a sleeping pad between your hammock and sleeping bag.
Because of that, hammock camping in cool/cold weather does not really save any weight over a light 2-person tent. Plus, if you want protection from above (rain/snow), you also need to hang (and pack with you) a tarp.

Positives are that you don't need a level sleeping surface; downsides are that you need two trees, it's friggin cold without an under quilt, and also you don't have a dry space to put your pack/gear and change clothes if it's raining or snowing (unless you have a decently sized and well-placed tarp).

My brothers and I call them 'bear burritos'... you're wrapped up all pretty right at snout height, and not very mobile.

Offline huntingdog16

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »
Maybe their best use is as a mid-day slumber spot.  The ants don't crawl all over you and the flying bugs aren't as pesky, either.  On a long Sept elk hunt, I often nap during the mid-day lull and don't push elk in their beds.  The hammock allows for better sleep than lying on the ground and I like more sleep than what I get at night in elk camp.  I use an ENO Helios suspension system at sub-6 oz so I carry it during the day and nap where I'm at.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »
I've been using a hammock for the better part of a decade now backpacking and more recently hunting.  A pad or underquilt is non-negotiable for the reasons mentioned. 

My current hammock is the Hennessy Explorer Ultralight which weighs in at something like 2.5 lbs (including rainfly and all rigging) and, for me at least, is WAY more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. 

I use a full-length Sea2Summit pad with a 3.3 R value and a 20* down sleeping bag.  I'm comfortable down to a little below freezing with that setup. 

I really don't suggest trying a new sleeping setup during a hunt.  It's hard to predict how you'll sleep and bad sleep is a great way to ruin your hunt.    :twocents:

Offline YoungGun9

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »
I run a Hennessy Hammock, and love it. I can get pretty flat inside it, and sleep much better in it then on the ground. It is also nice to use as a camp chair when your back at camp. The main reason my group has switched to the hammock is because we carry our gear with us everyday and are never setup in the same area for more then a night. We like how you can get on the elk and stay near them, in order to wake up and get on them faster. Also being able to take the hammocks into steep areas and sleep is a huge plus, vs. finding ground flat enough for a tent as it gets dark.

Like everyone else has mentioned they are a lot colder then being in a tent. Your sleeping bags compresses under you and the wind and cold hits you from all sides. We have found that using a lite sleeping pad inside the hammock helps a lot with keeping you warm. We normally won't need a sleeping pad for insulation until mid October though.

I would defiantly give the Hammock camping a try, but not as your first go with it during hunting season. It does take some getting use to, to find the right angle to lay at. I made that mistake a few years ago and ended up doing a lot of tossing and turning. Now that I have used them a lot I really prefer the hammocks to the tents if its not getting down to low 30's. Also I sleep on my side in my hammock and am very comfortable.

I think trying any of the asymmetric style hammocks, you will be impressed. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal