collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Info needed for MT Antelope area 700-20  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Threewolves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
Info needed for MT Antelope area 700-20
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »
Yep, I am the proud owner of a Montana Antelope tag for the 700 series of units from 06 OCT to 11 NOV. This is my first Antelope hunt. I am just looking for basic information from folks who actually drew the tag and or hunted the area before. I do have an elk and deer tag to possibley figure in. I do plan on rifle hunting. Most likely hunting alone. I'll be using my 25.06. I believe rifle deer and elk open 20 Oct.
Info like:

1. When is the best time to hunt early or late in the season?
2. Where did you camp?
3. Did you combine your hunt with deer or elk?
4. How was your hunt and if you had to do it over again what would you change?
5. Any additional important tips would be welcomed.

Thanks, Paul
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Info needed for MT Antelope area 700-20
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:21:33 PM »
1. When is the best time to hunt early or late in the season?
In my experience you can kill antelope every day of the season. After the first day they will be really flighty then settle down some later in season. The trick to being a good antelope hunter is to spot your antelope from long distance and plan a stalk to get within range without being seen. I love doing that and it's amazing how cloes you can get using little rises in the land or washes to your advantage, but watch very closely for rattlesnakes if it's warm out, we've killed as many as a half dozen in a day..

2. Where did you camp?
Usually at a motel. But you can camp on BLM or state land. Call region 7 BLM in Miles City to confirm. Google to get their phone number.

3. Did you combine your hunt with deer or elk?
There are a lot of deer in the antelope areas, you have to find the sweet spots for elk.

4. How was your hunt and if you had to do it over again what would you change?
I've hunted all over the region as an outfitter and for myself, the best thing you can do hunting on your own is to get the block management booklet from MFWP and plan your hunt to include some block management areas as well as state and blm. Some of those BM areas will require reservations and some you just sign in when you enter the property, the booklet tells you about each property. The reservation properties fill up fast so get on it.

5. Any additional important tips would be welcomed.
(read #1 and #4 again) The region is bigger than some states, it takes a half day to drive across region 7, there are antelope in every unit in the region, you need to decide what area of it you are going to hunt.

Good luck, please take photos and share your story with us after the hunt!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will pick up a block management booklet. Yes I do have a concern about Mr. No shoulders. I just got through re-reading "How it feels to die nov 1967" by Dr. Judd Grindell. I believe they were hunting antelope in late September in Northern WY when he got bit. There is not much difference between late September and the first week of October for snakes I would think. I grew up in SW Oklahoma where my snake handling stick had a 20 ga hole in the bottom of it.

Yep, it is a huge region. I have messed around with deer hunting an elk hunting in the 300 areas. Plenty of Antelope on private property. I was thinking of the Norther portion in the 700  below the CMR.

The antelope is my priority. I do have a buch of goals:
8-20 SEP Archery Elk in W. WA
1 to 7 OCT Cow Elk Upper Smith Creek (if 8-20 SEP doesnt work out)
06 OCT to 11 NOV MT Antelope
13 OCT to 26 OCT doe tag in WA 113
13 OCT to 31 OCT 2nd deer tag in WA 666
20 OCT to 25 NOV Deer and Elk in MT
"There are no problems, Only solutions."  I have a couple of ideas on how to manage my hunts. I am looking at each hunt as a goal to meet.
Thanks again for the input.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »
I've done both.  I've been there for the antelope opener and also been there for the deer opener and started antelope two weeks into the antelope season.   If I have a deer license I'll wait until the deer opener for antelope, otherwise I'd be there for the antelope opener.   I camp out on the prairie and only once stayed in a motel.  The problem with the motel is the travel time back and forth to the hunting area.  My preference is to camp out in the hunting area.   

One thing to watch out for is rain or snow.  It really makes some of the roads very hard to travel on.  I would not want to get a vehicle stuck in that mud.

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »
Bill W.

Thanks. I do want to limit the number of times I drive back and forth to MT. I also like being able to just walk out of camp and hunt. I have a cousin in Glasgow and it would be a bit of a drive to hunt. I figure I'll hunt then visit for showers etc. I like the idea of combining the deer. That way I can focus on an elk hunt that is set up in the western part of the state. I am hoping to take care of the deer here in a timely fashion. I may not get everything, but I will be doing my favorite thing "Hunting".   

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »
One thing to watch out for is rain or snow.  It really makes some of the roads very hard to travel on.  I would not want to get a vehicle stuck in that mud.

:yeah: If it snows when the ground is frozen no problem, as the day warms up if it melts or if it rains then you have bad mud. If you are hunting on private property most landowners do not want you to drive when there is mud, that's one of the cardinal rules, just like the "leave the gate as you find it" rule. After a rain quits or snow melts, it takes about a half day and the ground is usually solid enough to drive. If you are on public lands and want to keep hunting if it rains or drops wet snow you can take chains for all four to make sure you can get out, that's about the only way. If you are out hunting on foot and rain starts, get to your vehicle fast and leave if you don't have chains.

If there is rain/snow in the forecast and above 32 temps, try to camp as close as possible to a graveled road!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »

:yeah: If it snows when the ground is frozen no problem, as the day warms up if it melts or if it rains then you have bad mud. If you are hunting on private property most landowners do not want you to drive when there is mud, that's one of the cardinal rules, just like the "leave the gate as you find it" rule. After a rain quits or snow melts, it takes about a half day and the ground is usually solid enough to drive. If you are on public lands and want to keep hunting if it rains or drops wet snow you can take chains for all four to make sure you can get out, that's about the only way. If you are out hunting on foot and rain starts, get to your vehicle fast and leave if you don't have chains.

If there is rain/snow in the forecast and above 32 temps, try to camp as close as possible to a graveled road!

:yeah: :yeah:

The mud is a very real issue.

If it's bad it builds up on your boots and you can have 5-20 pound "ankle weights" on your walk back.      It is a nasty trudge.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]