collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford F-150: 3.5 or 5.0?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline bb76

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Ford F-150: 3.5 or 5.0?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 09:26:21 PM »
I drive a 2016 F150 for work. I've had it since it was new and have put about 46k on it over the last 2 years. The truck has the 3.5 and is a gutless wonder. I wouldn't recommend a newer Ford truck to anyone. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Ford F-150: 3.5 or 5.0?
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 09:27:28 PM »
I drive a 2016 F150 for work. I've had it since it was new and have put about 46k on it over the last 2 years. The truck has the 3.5 and is a gutless wonder. I wouldn't recommend a newer Ford truck to anyone. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Safe to assume, since you’re calling it a gutless wonder, you’re driving the non ecoboost 3.5 v6? That engine has no business being in a full sized truck. Not sure why anyone would ever buy one.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
We have had good luck with Ford Trucks, my first being a 1964 Ford F-100 1/2 Ton Pickup and my latest a 2016 F-150.
 Here is a website I have found helpful in comparing information on the vehicles you are interested in.
 at....... https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
The 3.5L is a bi-turbo. The fuel mileage will be all over the board based on how the truck is driven.  Drive it like a grandma, youll do better. Drive it like you stole it, mpg’s go in the tank. I.E. how the turbos spool up. They have more power and torque than the V8’s. In fact, the only way to get the F150 with the 13,200 pound tow rating is with the 3.5.

I don't have a F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost but I have a new Explorer with this motor and if I set the cruise right at the speed limit and don't go over, it gets really good mileage, but the more you creep above that, the faster it falls.  I had a TRD supercharger put on my 13 Tacoma shortly after it was new and it's the same way.  If I drive it like a granny, it'll get 22-24 MPG but I generally set the cruise 6-8mph over and that drops it down to 18-19.

I'm very happy with the power of the 3.5 EcoBoost, in fact, I've been thinking about selling my Tacoma and getting a new F150 with that motor.
If you go to the F150 from your Tacoma, you'll wonder why you waited so long.
My Tacoma was pathetic compared to the F150.

I bought my Taco new and waited about a month before I put the TRD supercharger on it.  In stock form they're just kinda ok on power but with the TRD SC on, it's definitely a significant increase in power so there isn't that much difference between my Taco with the SC on it and my wife's Explorer with the 3.5 EcoBoost.  I've been itching for a new truck so I'll be very interested to drive one of the new 2019 F-150 Limited with the H.O. 3.5 EcoBoost.
It's everything that surrounds the engine that's so pathetic.
You'll love the upgrade.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Tacbeav

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
I have a 2017 supercab with the non-ecoboost 3.5. Love my truck!  18k miles and no problems so far. At 280 horsepower it has plenty of power to get out of the way on the freeway and tow my aluminum fishing boat.  Sure, it's not the engine you would pick for heavy towing, but for me it's all the power I need.

Offline J.Brower

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2018, 10:06:26 PM »
I’ve got a 15’ with the 3.5 Eco, absolutely love it. Tows like a dream, drives like a dream, parking does suck in tight spots though :chuckle: since I’ve owned it my mileage on the computer says 17.4. This is mostly driving to work via highway 9 and 405(terrible traffic most days) with a little bit of open highway mixed in, and some mountain road driving. Zero complaints, other than my multi function (wiper) switch went out which leaves my windshield wipers stuck on low. Cheap and easy replacement though. Oh and diy oil changes can get messy! Why do they put drain plugs on the side of the oil pans!!! :chuckle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2018, 01:15:46 AM »
I’ve got a 15’ with the 3.5 Eco, absolutely love it. Tows like a dream, drives like a dream, parking does suck in tight spots though :chuckle: since I’ve owned it my mileage on the computer says 17.4. This is mostly driving to work via highway 9 and 405(terrible traffic most days) with a little bit of open highway mixed in, and some mountain road driving. Zero complaints, other than my multi function (wiper) switch went out which leaves my windshield wipers stuck on low. Cheap and easy replacement though. Oh and diy oil changes can get messy! Why do they put drain plugs on the side of the oil pans!!! :chuckle:

What are you towing?
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline bassquatch

• AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Something clever.
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Lots of good info. Why not just leave it for future reference for others.

Good point, I just wanted to dip out before all the this vs. that stuff started  :tup:

I have run Ford trucks since 1998 and haven't found a reason to switch to anything else yet.  This is great info...I am pondering the 3.0ps but I'm just not familiar enough with diesel technology  :dunno:
AKA: Porter's Pursuits on YouTube to help you catch more bass!

Offline J.Brower

• Scout
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »

What are you towing?

Ive got a 17’ alumaweld sled that I tow a couple times a month, heavier flat bed car/equip trailer with a couple ATV’s, and last week had a flatbed loaded with a couple thousand pounds of stuff for work. Nothing super heavy but everything I’ve put behind it I barely know it’s there. Still waiting for the opportunity to hook something heavier behind it and see how it does.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »

What are you towing?

Ive got a 17’ alumaweld sled that I tow a couple times a month, heavier flat bed car/equip trailer with a couple ATV’s, and last week had a flatbed loaded with a couple thousand pounds of stuff for work. Nothing super heavy but everything I’ve put behind it I barely know it’s there. Still waiting for the opportunity to hook something heavier behind it and see how it does.

Nice! Sounds like a great truck! I might have to get rid of my 6.0. That gas mileage is very tempting
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg