collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I need a bigger gun  (Read 4206 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
I need a bigger gun
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
The bear hunting was uneventful last night (just a sow with cubs) so I started scanning the hillsides for new spots to shoot. I think I found a winner! On brief side note, I'd love to see a Sig Kilo hit that range consistently. :chuckle:

From one shooting location I can get to dirt banks, with perfect target rocks in them, at 2542, 4524 and 4928 yards.

The problem is that my little 338 SnipeTac just isn't cutting it that far. I've had good luck out to 2600 yards but I haven't done much past that. At 4500 yards I would need 310 MOA of vertical and 1.9 MOA of windage just for coriolis! 4928 yards would take 385.6 MOA, that's 19,898". That's 1658 feet!

So now I need to step it up a bit in caliber. The 416 Barrett seems like the most likely option at this point. I don't know if I'll actually follow through with it, but I haven't ruled it out yet.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
Re: I need a bigger gun
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
That range finder is a increadable piece of gear! The .416 Barrett would be a good choice. Several guys around here shoot them.

Offline bullfisher

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »
Umm.. Yeah... What finder is that anyway?

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
I read that the KO2M winner used a .416 Barrett with 400 grain LAZERS and a March Genesis.  Having 400 MOA in the turret would help. :tup:
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:27:42 AM »
Umm.. Yeah... What finder is that anyway?

An original Terrapin. I've played with the new Terrapin-X and I never got a reading like this from it.

The conditions do have to be perfect to get a reading like this though. Low humidity, clear air, good sun angle and the right target. This was at about 8:30 last night. The real trick is getting consistent readings, I took these two about 5 minutes apart to see how repeatable the ranges were. I'm just resting the range finder on a stump so it's really hard to get it and the camera to hold still for a good pic. :chuckle:

I read that the KO2M winner used a .416 Barrett with 400 grain LAZERS and a March Genesis.  Having 400 MOA in the turret would help. :tup:

I just need to figure out how to pay for it. You guys all need to buy a bunch of shirts from me so I can finance this whole project. It'll be like a GoFundMe account! For every $15 donation you make I'll send you one T-shirt. All I need to do is sell about 3000 shirts and I've got it covered. :tup:

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »
you need that new march scope with 400 moa of adjustment.

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 12:47:57 PM »
On brief side note, I'd love to see a Sig Kilo hit that range consistently. :chuckle:

Ya, I have a Sig Kilo 2200 and I can tell you first hand, there ain't no Kilo's gonna range, anywhere even close, to that far.  The Vectronix are pretty much in a class of their own  :tup:

My Sig 2200 will generally do 1800 yards pretty consistently and for a RF I got on sale at Cabela's for $349 I can't really complain to much but they are no way even close to being in the Vectronix RF league.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
March genesis is on my wish list! 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Great shooting.   :tup:

But, speaking from experience, how well do you know that there isn't some other hunter hunkered down also hunting bear between you and your target?  That is a long way off.......   :dunno:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 02:20:01 PM »
Great shooting.   :tup:

But, speaking from experience, how well do you know that there isn't some other hunter hunkered down also hunting bear between you and your target?  That is a long way off.......   :dunno:

My actual hunting spot is a small valley only 540 yards at the widest spot. This is just the view in the opposite direction from where I sit. It’s pretty common to see other folks around the tops of the valleys glassing down but I’ve never seen anyone down in the bottoms unless they’re dragging an animal out.

I do very little ridge to ridge shooting on public land during hunting season. I do most of that stuff in the spring and early summer to avoid other folks in the woods. I’ve had a lot of bullets land closer to me than I’d like over the years but they’ve all been fired inside of 500 yards by some internet sniper who’s watched one to many “Best Of The West” videos. That’s in a relatively open clear cut with me wearing a blaze orange vest. That’s why I don’t hunt State or Federal land for deer or elk and why I wear orange if I’m down in the thick stuff while bear hunting.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:47:53 PM by yorketransport »

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
What is bigger than you usually use that isn't crew served?

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:13 PM »
What is bigger than you usually use that isn't crew served?

I've got 2 teenage kids, so I'm not ruling out the crew served weapons yet. :chuckle:

Online nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 06:46:54 AM »
Your Euro mount would be done before you got to him.  With mummified skin still on with this weather.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
Only 4900 yards huh?  Come on down to the harbor, we can shoot 11 miles across the bay state land to state land.  Just have to be careful of the airport on the north side.  Might hit a plane in flight.  Bangin' those plates all day long gets a little boring at that distance.  Going to try the ole compound and field points next just to add a little challenge to it.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

:tup:

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »
On a more serious note, that is truly awesome.  I'd love to learn from some of the long distance experts on the forum here.  I'm just getting started and learning as I go.  Still having trouble with consistent hits at 600 yards.  :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]