collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: archery elk 654 or 667?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline whynotwapiti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
archery elk 654 or 667?
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
Howdy, I'm new to the forum and Washington, the information and guidance on here is amazing! I'm hoping ya'll can help provide me some information on a couple options I'm looking at for archery elk. I'm a new archery hunter and really just looking for meat, so i'm looking at units with antlerless opportunity.
Unfortunately my summer hasn't allowed me to do a ton of on-the-ground scouting, but i'm consdidering hunting elbe hills/pack forest in unit 654. it's relatively close to home and i'm on a tight budget this year so can't travel far. anyone here hunt this area in archery able to give me advice on hunting pressure and access? my plan is to just get behind gates as far as i'm comfortable with but obviously i'd like to not be 'combat hunting'. do the elk just bail out of this area onto private land once the season starts?
another area i'm considering is in unit 667 south of alder lake in the forest service land. I can't find much information about hunting in that area though.

any informatoin ya'll can offer as to what to expect for pressure or elk availability is really appreciated. like i say, i'm new to archery and just trying to learn this year. in the past i've hunting elk with a rifle in spot and stalk situations, so the thick brush will be a learning experience.  really i'd be glad to just see or hear elk, so i want to make sure i'm not walking into an area wihtout elk where i won't be able to learn how to hunt effectively (make mistakes to learn from!)
Thanks

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Re: archery elk 654 or 667?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 06:19:21 PM »
Don’t know much about those units specifically, but I do know archery hunting is very popular in WA and it’s pretty crowded no matter where you hunt anymore. Just got to get out there and find you a spot to chase them around. If there’s is sign, hunt that spot:-) be safe and good luck out there!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]