collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tripod recommendations in the $200-ish range for backpack hunts?  (Read 9581 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Hey folks,

Next upgrade on my list is a tripod.  I'm hoping for something in the $200-ish range that's sturdy, durable, and as light as possible (hoping for 2-2.5lbs). 

Current glass:
Leupold BX-4 10x42mm with vortex bino adapter
Nikon ED50 13-30 (big shoutout to @shallowforks for the hookup on that). 
I also do some hobby photography with a Nikon D7000 with various not-so-heavy lenses, but the hunting glass is the focus. 

Current tripod is the Vortex Summit SS-P, which overall is fine but it's pretty wobbly, and I'm hoping for something more stable.   

It looks like Sirui and others have good carbon fiber options, but I'd love some user feedback/advice. 

Thanks! 

p.s. to the mods: I'm posting in the backcountry group because I'm hoping the best advice will come from this crowd and need the tripod for backcountry hunts.  If this should be in the gear forum, feel free to move :)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Tripod recommendations in the $200-ish range for backpack hunts?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
Oh, and I'm not terribly picky about head design.  Anything that will let me pan side-to-side effectively is fine. 

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
I am suprised a minimalist as yourself is looking to spend $200 on a Tri Pod. I use a $60 Nikon with the braced legs. Solid as a rock and now on season 4. Is it 3lbs? yes. Is it durable? yes. Can I use it as a walking stick in a pinch and not feel bad about it, you betcha. I look at tripods as a go big or go cheap, in between is a waste in my eyes. (Edit:) and by going big I mean including a top of the line head.

My buddy uses the Vortex Summit and can't stand the wobbles after sitting behind my cheapo on a breezy day.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:08:46 AM by cbond3318 »
Just tend your own and live.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
Unless stepping well beyond this budget, I find the slik634 mandrotto 700rc2 combo VERY hard to beat

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »
Not sure what you mean cbond, but certainly if life pulls the tripod budget away from me, I'll go on being happy with my vortex or my old but beloved manfrotto 4 pounder. 

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Vortex high county  modified take off 1 sections of legs I paid less than 100 off of eBay

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »
Vortex high county  modified take off 1 sections of legs I paid less than 100 off of eBay
Isn't the high country a step below the Summit SS?  Looks like MSRP on vortex's website for the high country is $110 vs $180 for the Summit SS-P.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »
The High Country is not worth the $$. My  :twocents: Been there, done that.

It's too light and nowhere near stable.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 02:07:31 PM »
Not sure what you mean cbond, but certainly if life pulls the tripod budget away from me, I'll go on being happy with my vortex or my old but beloved manfrotto 4 pounder.

What I mean, and I hope no offense taken, is based on other discussions where you have offered insight into gear, you appear to have firm grip on the cost vs. utility aspect. Spending $200 on a tripod while only really looking for an upgrade in stability seemed out of line with the assumptions I have made about the way you view gear and it's necessity. That is all.  :tup:

As I said, the one I currently use as compared to the one you use is much more stable, still allows glassing, still allows the locating of animals and I am yet to come upon a reason to change it out. Bonus feature, at the price I can throw it off a cliff and laugh. FWIW
Just tend your own and live.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »
Unless stepping well beyond this budget, I find the slik634 mandrotto 700rc2 combo VERY hard to beat

This is the combo I have eyed for years... and am to cheap to make the switch. When my Manfroto Element finally falls apart this will be the replacement.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »
No offense taken at all cbond!  I just wasn't quite clear on what you were saying but I get it now.  I take it as a compliment you think I have a good grasp on $/utility. 

But you clearly have underestimated my pickiness when it comes to glass/vision.  :chuckle:

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »
You don't need a new tripod, you need a better head.

I run a Benro S2 on my Vortex SS-P and it has been a game-changer. If stability is still an issue, bring a mesh bag (weighs nothing) along and fill it with rocks to hang off the center post. More stable than even the $500 options for basically free.

If you're really set on upgrading your entire system, this article will point you in the right direction https://blog.sandsarchery.com/ss-archerys-backcountry-ultralight-tripod-guide/

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
surui isn't more stable than your ss-p I would say in that weight range you are wanting you wont find a tripod more stable. I would just upgrade the head.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 03:45:57 PM »
surui isn't more stable than your ss-p I would say in that weight range you are wanting you wont find a tripod more stable. I would just upgrade the head.
Thanks.  I haven't even looked into the idea of changing heads on the vortex. 

This whole idea has me wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.  My goal is a more stable viewing platform, especially in wind.  Stiffness seems like it would help a lot, but maybe just learning to use the weight hook is the best approach? 

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »
Thanks.  I haven't even looked into the idea of changing heads on the vortex. 

This whole idea has me wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.  My goal is a more stable viewing platform, especially in wind.  Stiffness seems like it would help a lot, but maybe just learning to use the weight hook is the best approach?
Exactly grasshopper.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »
Thevweight hook is money. Small cinch sack with local rocks. The benro s2 and msnfrotto 700rc2 are relatively affordable options to try. Both are highly regarded. I love my Manfrotto.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 01:03:44 AM »
Lightweight tripod and stability don't mix. You sacrifice the stability for weight savings making the system top heavy, breathing on it could cause some shake. The counter weight hook it there for a reason. Beyond that a tighter head might help, don't have any experience with vortex tripods so I can't speak to their head quality. Find a durable weight bag that can handle a few pounds and experiment.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 01:35:19 AM »

This is the combo I have eyed for years... and am to cheap to make the switch. When my Manfroto Element finally falls apart this will be the replacement.

I hate with a very strong passion how the legs are extended and collapsed with this tripod.  I do not like how you have to twist the collars to loosen and then tighten them back up.  It feels like it takes for ever and I always seem to have one not tight enough and end up screwing around with it for a few mins to get it how I want it.   
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:58 AM »
Alright, y'all have just about convinced me to try getting a better head and a weight bag, so, follow up questions:

1) what are your thoughts on video (a la the S2 and 700rc2 mentioned) vs panning ball heads (e.g., the Sirui B-00 or the Joby Ballhead 5K)?

2) what do you use for a weight bag?   

Offline shallowforks

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
many might scoff at this but vanguard has a carbon tripod called the veo thats just over 40OZ with a decent ball head included in that weight. its in the $200 range. best weight to $ ratio ive seen

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »
Check out kdc granite peak tripod. VERY lightweight and has review on rokslide.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
The ball heads I've worked with are great if you set it and leave it. If you are going to do a lot of scanning through whatever you have sitting on top a pan head is the best in my opinion.

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
I wouldn't even consider a ballhead personally

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
I hate with a very strong passion how the legs are extended and collapsed with this tripod.  I do not like how you have to twist the collars to loosen and then tighten them back up.  It feels like it takes for ever and I always seem to have one not tight enough and end up screwing around with it for a few mins to get it how I want it.   
I agree with you to a point. At this point I think a lot of it is muscle memory for me. The new flick lock version is very tempting though..

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
I prefer panning ball heads....check out the go hunt guys and see there tripod comparison..

If you bump up the price a bit I'm loving the RRS BH 30 head....awesome for grinding and fast scanning

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
Slik Compact II with MANFROTTO 496rc2 and Swaro 25-50 is 5# total.  Works.  Looking for Carbon option to reduce weight further. 

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
I have a Sirui t025x and a Slik Pro624 set up side by side on my table as we speak. The Slik is definitely a little bit sturdier due to the neck on the Sirui always being extended, but I like everything else about the Sirui better. A quarter twist and the legs slide right out on their own, everything is very smooth and tight. The Slik takes a little more effort to get the legs in and out etc. Also the Sirui is much more compact and a good half pound lighter. I’m supposed to be sending one of them back but I may just drag my feet until it’s too late to return them.  :chuckle: Slik seems better for a spotter but Sirui looks sweet for those deep ounce counting trips.

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »
I use the benro S2 head and love it, it is a huge upgrade over the ball head my tripod came with and it’s an affordable option and easy enough to swap onto your tripod.  I know it is outside your budget but I use a promaster xc525c and it is a way more stable than the vortex summit as-p I use to have.

As far as your weight question, I carry Nalgene bottles for my water so when I’m glassing and it is windy I just set a full Nalgene on the weight hook.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »
What happens when don’t have a full nalgene?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:21 PM »

Pee in it, problem solved :hello:

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
Isn't the high country a step below the Summit SS?  Looks like MSRP on vortex's website for the high country is $110 vs $180 for the Summit SS-P.

Yes I stand corrected,  and the summit ss  is actually what I meant , and some.say it's unstable small.bag with rocks in it sturdier it right up

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
I actually may get rid of the Summit at this point.  I played with adding 2.5, 5, and 10lbs to the weight hook and tested how quickly the vibration went away after tapping the eyepiece.  Honestly, the weight didn't seem to make much of a difference at all, and I was pretty disappointed with the flex in the legs and neck even with weight on it. 

It's a wonderfully small and compact tripod, don't get me wrong.  But I may bite the bullet and buy a better quality unit.   

Actual weight of the Summit SS-P on my kitchen scale was 2.25lbs (just the tripod, head, and quick-release plate). 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »
If your going to get a new one check out outdoorsman. It’s a major step up in price but imo is in a class of its own for weight and stability.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »
If your going to get a new one check out outdoorsman. It’s a major step up in price but imo is in a class of its own for weight and stability.

This will be my next gear upgrade for sure.  Borrowed a friends out glassing a couple weekends ago and now my entry level nikon tripod setup feels like a kids toy compared to the outdoorsman set up.  Crazy expensive but worth it if your going to be glassing a lot.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 04:51:52 AM »
I actually may get rid of the Summit at this point.  I played with adding 2.5, 5, and 10lbs to the weight hook and tested how quickly the vibration went away after tapping the eyepiece.  Honestly, the weight didn't seem to make much of a difference at all, and I was pretty disappointed with the flex in the legs and neck even with weight on it. 

It's a wonderfully small and compact tripod, don't get me wrong.  But I may bite the bullet and buy a better quality unit.   

Actual weight of the Summit SS-P on my kitchen scale was 2.25lbs (just the tripod, head, and quick-release plate).
Are you using it with the center post fully extended? The design of most tripod with extended post are not the most stable as there is very little support. The weight will stabilize the legs, but with post fully extended its like trying to hold up a bat vertically with only two fingers around the button. If you do decide to go with something else I strongly suggest trying them out in person with whatever optics you having the most problem with. I'd look for somethings with a fixed post or a much shorter extension than the summit.

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 05:07:32 AM »

Then I can’t glass anymore.  Kidding aside I normally drink out of the Nalgene while I’m glassing since it’s easy to grab.  If I was in a situation that I didn’t have the water for weight I probably just hang something else on the hook like my kill kit, lid or the whole pack depending on the height.  I am using the tripod with 10x42 or 15x56 bino’s 90% of the time and only use a 65mm every once and awhile so reality the tripod is rock solid pretty much all the time.  If I was using an 80mm or 95mm all the time then I would probably think about carrying a mesh bag like was mentioned before.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
@biggfish, I tried both--column up and down.  I ordered a Vanguard VEO 2 carbon fiber tripod, basically just to test it next to my summit.  At $150 and Amazon's return policy, it seemed worth the risk and learning experience.  I'll let you know what I think when it gets here. 

If I'm not happy with it, I'll return it and save up for the Sirui ET-1204 or comparable $250-class tripod. 

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 08:53:48 AM »
I was not impressed with Vortex tripods.  Went with a Manfrotto carbon and am super happy.  It is still heavier then my old vanguard but much more stable.  Haven't had the pleasure of trying a Outdoorsman but heard they are the bees knees.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
The Veo 2 235CB arrived today.  Right out of the gate, it's a HUGE improvement over the Vortex Summit SS-P, and considering it costs $150 (at the moment) and the Vortex retails for $130, the Veo is far and away a better choice.  (given that compactness isn't your main goal, I guess.  The Summit is pretty tiny).  Measured on my kitchen scale, the Veo 2 comes in at about 1150g (right on spec) and the Vortex is 1050g (notably heavier than spec).

I'll post more later as I have more time to test it, but I will say I've already dumped the rubber feet that come on the Veo.  They're way too squishy and cause an obvious wobble.  There are metal endcaps with female threads under them, so I'll be getting some better feet, or I'll make them if I need to. 

Certainly keeping the Veo for this season.  I may upgrade down the road, but for now this was an obvious come-up. 

Cheers!

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
It occurs to me that since I have his old Nikon ED50 and I took the recommendation for the Veo tripod, I am now apparently @shallowforks understudy in the glassing department  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal