collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alaska Bound!!  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Slaysthefish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Alaska Bound!!
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »
7 more days and I will be in Dall sheep and Moose country.  One of my life long friends dad drew a Dall sheep tag that I get to tag along on and hopefully be able to be a pack mule for, plus a pack mule for their moose until the 5th of September when non-residents get to hunt moose.  I am also hoping to see some bears as I have a tag for them as well.  Going to be an epic hunt and I will post up a story and pictures when I return on the 20th well probably the 21st. :IBCOOL:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Alaska Bound!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »
Wow can't wait to see pics! :tup:

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 01:04:17 PM »
Awesome man! It’s beautiful and wild up there! Bring good rain gear! Safe travels!!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
Good luck!!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Slaysthefish

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
Wow!!  What a hunt!!  Got to Alaska on the 28th of August bright and sunny day, my buddy picked me up in Kenia and we were off to the races!  Went to his house and loaded up the wheelers and our hunting gear and we were off to Wasilla to his dads for the night.  Quick stop at Cabelas in anchorage to spend 800 on my tag and a few hundred more on crap I probably didn't need. ( Miss September Moose Decoy)  Moose didn't care about her at all lol rut had not started..  29 August we drive 5 hours to no name creek and unload,  The next few hours would be some of the best mud bogging ever had if that is what we were there for.  I think at one point all 4 of us were stuck in the same mud hole, finally after 2 hours of mudding we made it to or camp/cache and set everything up.

I was excited to say the least as we had seen 3 bull moose on the way in and a monster caribou on the way in.  As soon as we were set up we went about 100 yards from camp and started glassing, we glassed up 13 more bulls and tons of cows I couldn't believe there were so many as my last moose hunt I seen 5 moose in 10 days floating a small creek.  Up and early the next morning for a long ride to sheep country!

As we are riding into sheep country we spot a nice ram 3/4 of the way up what looked to be an easy hike that turned out to be hell in disguise!  The ram ended up busting us and took off and this would be the case for many days to come,  Sheep are not smart animals but they have real good eye site.  On the 31st we were headed back to camp from sheep hunting and spotted a 4 brow tine bull that was in a great spot, we put him to bed in hopes he would be close by for the moose opener on the first.  The moose didn't disappoint as he had only moved a few hundred yards from the night prior,  He was lying down in some thick tag alder and had no clue that there were a few guns pointed in his direction.  FYI moose are super lazy and will stay bedded for forever, we sent him a cow call from 259 yards away and that was all it took.  He got up and started our way and my buddies dad had him on the ground in a matter of seconds.

Offline Slaysthefish

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »
Day 3 proved not to disappoint, with a bunch of excitement hauling my buddies moose out.  As we find our way across the tundra to the bull at the top of the mountain there were many mud holes and steep grades.  We get to the top and the bull is about 300 yards down the steep mountain from the wheeler, we brought some rope and the good idea ferry with us.  So we used the 4 wheeler as an anchor and to hold a snatch block for pulling. 

Down the hill I go with rope in tow and we start pulling up 2 quarters at a time, well having 2 quarters together going up hill through willow scrub don't work so I cut it down to 1 quarter going up.  First one makes it up but my buddy is over the top of the mountain and cant see that the quarter is at the 4 wheeler so rope breaks but meat is at the top. 

Here is where the good idea ferry comes in to play, we repositioned the wheeler so he could see it when 300 yards out.  Down the hill I go with rope in tow,  I tie on another section of rope and another quarter.  All is going good and we start pulling, quarter is going up and then it stops and I hear loud clicking and brush going crazy above me.  Now imagine my surprise when I look up to see a Yamaha 450 Grizzly 8' in the air coming straight down at me still in park mind you.  Figured out the clicking part...

As the wheeler hits the not in the rope I had tied on about 30 yards in front of me it turns the wheeler hard right and stops it in think tag alder,  wheeler came down the rope on the snatch block and never flipped.  Once it has stopped and my heart starts beating again I look up to see my buddy at the top of the hill shaking his head,  Not sure if he was disappointed the wheeler came down the hill or that it didn't flatten me lmao!!!  I yelled up that it didn't flip and down he comes to help figure out our new mess.

It ended up that we got it headed back up the hill, put 2 quarters on the front tied one to the rear hitch  and put the head, trim, and ribs on the back and we winched it out for the next 5 1/2 hours straight up hill..  More to come.

Offline Slaysthefish

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
So day 4 of moose season had us hauling moose out of camp to a cooler 60 miles away, we resupplied our beer situation which in the middle of now where is not cheap at all.  Back to camp to glass me up a bull for in the morning.

Back at camp we glassed up several nice bulls just nothing that was big enough so off to sleep and dream of big bulls. 

5 Sept its my turn!!  off we go and right out the gate a mile from camp we jump 2 bulls in the river bottom and one of them is right on the line of being legal but we hold off to get a better look, after 5 or so hours of trying to get closer without him knowing we give up and go back to sheep hunting for the evening, no luck on my opener.

6 Sept off to sheep hunt as the weather has moved in and pushed the sheep down lower, out we go and we spot a giant bull just inside the trees across the canyon from camp, he is a no brainer legal bull probably in the 63" range but no shot as he is covered by a huge ball of rock and trees from the spring thaw.  We try our best to get around on him but that was the last time I saw that bull he vanished when we moved, probably why he was sporting that big rack!

So off we go up to hunt sheep and right before we get to where we start walking we run into the bull from the day before,  We glass him up and all agree he is legal and vow to shoot him if he is still there after sheep hunting.

No sheep were had and we were on our way out and the bull had moved, now in a spot that would be a nightmare to get him out.  We put a move on him to push him down the mountain and it worked, he looked like a D8 cat with his head down pushing through the tall tag alders at 35 MPH.  Down to the river he went and I was close behind,   just as he crossed the river I asked for a range.  He was at 450 yards on a trot, I let one go and hit him just behind the heart and that was enough to slow him and a second shot was on its way that drilled him straight threw the heart and made him do an instant back flip.  That was it for my moose 51 1/2", now on to more sheep.

Offline Slaysthefish

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
So now it was all about my buddies dad filling his sheep tag with his dads 30-06!  Some friends showed up to camp with some much needed white suites to maybe help us get into range of these sheep.  Remember I said sheep are stupid!!  Well we spotted 5 legal rams at about 2 miles away and there were a few draws in between us and them and couldn't tell how many sheep were in between us and them.

Well we only had 2 suite so my buddy and his dad put them on and me and another pack mule stayed put and hoped to see it from a far.  Well just over the hill there were around 40 ewes and lambs and low and behold they let them split the heard and never spooked at all.  They are dumb!

The stock goes on and the rams move from our site so we sit and wait.  about 3 hours goes buy and my buddy shows up way down in the bottom waiving his hands and down we go.  We get down to him and he said dad got the big boy and that's when the excitement started for us.  He said they followed behind the ewes to the base of the mountain and then side hilled up to 380 yards from the bedded Rams that were watching them.  They said they never batted an eye and must have thought they were to dumbest looking sheep ever, they laid down and got a range and shot the ram 1 shot in the neck and never moved from his bed.

I always thought that sheep were like mule deer size but I was way wrong, I would put them in the big black tail doe category. 

This was one of the best hunts I have ever been on and cant wait to move up there and do it every year.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
awesome hunt  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Slaysthefish

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Sorry I was trying to update day 2 and somehow deleted the whole darn post.  Day 2 of moose season my buddy got his 53" moose on a hill that probably was not the best place in the world to shoot a 1600 pound animal!  Sorry I am tired of typing and don't want to retype the whole thing again.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 10:31:55 AM »
Excellent thanks for sharing and looks like it was a great hunt :IBCOOL:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »
Sounds like an amazing hunt! Definitely on the bucket list :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 10:02:49 PM »
Outstanding  :tup: :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 10:07:18 PM »
Nice going guys, love the picks. Even goat nuts got a nice bull.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
Great adventure congrats.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter