collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moving Beavers by Pack Horse...  (Read 7366 times)

Offline deweyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Moving Beavers by Pack Horse...
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:52:18 PM »
I thought I'd throw up a post to you all.  BHA just sent a blast out and mentioned this,

"The Methow Valley Beaver Project works to improve stream quality and habitat by trapping and removing nuisance beavers from private property and relocating them to streams higher up in the watershed on public lands."

I reached out to help relocated said beavers.  They said they are in the process of trying to figure out how to move multiple beavers in Havahart box traps by horse.  I don't have any experience with horses let alone packing gear and in this case critters with them.  Any horsemen or women out there that have experience doing something like this?   I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty careful with the horse spooking if a trapped beaver was making a rukus.   Anybody have any solutions?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Moving Beavers by Pack Horse...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »
There are plenty of good packers in the Methow Valley. I would talk to one of them!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:52:12 AM »
Save yourself the trouble. If beaver could survive there, there would be beavers there already.
Beavers move around a lot more them people give them credit for. They will find every bit of suitable habitat all on their own.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 06:21:06 AM »
Build wooden pack boxes for it

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »
Get a grant like the Tulalip tribe did to relocate beavers on the Skykomish which our taxes paid for.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 07:06:58 AM »
Probably less of an issue of to find a packer good enough to do it than it is finding a pack animal calm enough not to blow. That being said, I'd suggest they'd look towards houndsmen that have built different methods of being able to transport their dogs via pack mules for back country lion hunting. 

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »
Save yourself the trouble. If beaver could survive there, there would be beavers there already.
Beavers move around a lot more them people give them credit for. They will find every bit of suitable habitat all on their own.

:yeah:

Hard to imagine that beavers wouldn't have moved into the ground if it was suitable. Beavers are extremely territorial, so younger animals are forced out. When fur prices are low and beaver populations are high, as they are now, they will travel great distances.

Trapping beavers and packing them into the mountains sounds like a pretty chill way to spend the weekend. I just hope they don't spend too much of my money to do it.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
They found a way to transport wolves everywhere they wanted them, on our tax dollar, I'm sure they can spend a couple of million and find a way to get their beavers any where on the planet they want them.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 12:57:06 PM »
Beaver cannon. Put little helmets on them and launch the little buggers. The flat wide tail should stabilize them in flight nicely. Picture it.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:36:17 PM »
I like it.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
It to bad the USFS can't find something "productive" to do!! :bash: :bash:

But then like various other government agency's, the biologist tell everyone what to do!!

This is the time of year on a certain ranch I used to take care of in the Methow :chuckle:,  I would shoot every one I came across.  ONE huge PEST!!   They would plug up the culverts, headgates and ditches over night and wouldn't stop until I put them out of their misery!

The USFS biologist probably don't know they migrate every fall!! Probably the same one that told me "mistletoed tree's are wildlife tree's,  grouse use them to hide from hunters that is why we have to save them"  :bash: :tree1: :bash:   
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 10:47:06 PM »
It to bad the USFS can't find something "productive" to do!! :bash: :bash:

But then like various other government agency's, the biologist tell everyone what to do!!

This is the time of year on a certain ranch I used to take care of in the Methow :chuckle:,  I would shoot every one I came across.  ONE huge PEST!!   They would plug up the culverts, headgates and ditches over night and wouldn't stop until I put them out of their misery!

The USFS biologist probably don't know they migrate every fall!! Probably the same one that told me "mistletoed tree's are wildlife tree's,  grouse use them to hide from hunters that is why we have to save them"  :bash: :tree1: :bash:   
That's funny Rog! Lol! But true
Don't remember how many we dispatched long before they made it your way👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 06:09:25 AM »

:yeah: they'll just keep moving downstream until they find their preferred habitat
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »

:yeah:

Hard to imagine that beavers wouldn't have moved into the ground if it was suitable. Beavers are extremely territorial, so younger animals are forced out. When fur prices are low and beaver populations are high, as they are now, they will travel great distances.

Trapping beavers and packing them into the mountains sounds like a pretty chill way to spend the weekend. I just hope they don't spend too much of my money to do it.

good way to feed hungry predators

Online JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
Get a grant like the Tulalip tribe did to relocate beavers on the Skykomish which our taxes paid for.
hehe ! Then pay me to get rid of them

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal