collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon Ochoco rifle deer  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Deerelk37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Oregon Ochoco rifle deer
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:27:26 PM »
Howdy all hope your hunts/planning is going well.

This is my first year going on an out of state hunt for any animal and am looking for some insight. I had big plans to make it down for a scout trip or two before season but with a new baby, a roof that needed done and my first archery elk season here in WA, I doubt I will make it. I have the Friday before opener off so I can go down Thursday and find a place to camp Friday without fumbling around in the dark. I am thinking of going into the unit from the Prineville side but from there I am not sure. I used to hunt the Nile unit and the deer and elk were spread through the unit in pockets, deer would move out As elk moved through-is it a similar situation in the ochoco forest? I am looking to notch a tag with anything 2pt or better for the freezer as I know it’s a heavy hunted unit and I have new hunters to help here in wa this year I’ll be trying to tag out.  Are the populations higher down low with bigger bucks up high? How do the elk mix in? Any general help would be appreciated. Do I need any permits to camp or park in certain areas?

Thanks, pms appreciated

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
Re: Oregon Ochoco rifle deer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 09:06:47 PM »
Been years since I've hunted it but we did ok on younger bucks. Lots of permits so it's more like a general hunt in my mind. Lot's and lot's of public land so finding a camping spot and places to hunt shouldn't be too hard. Areas to check out is the country around the Rager ranger station. Also try Cottonwood Creek and Battle Mtn. I enjoyed hunting there. Good luck.

Elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline Deerelk37

• Tracker
Re: Oregon Ochoco rifle deer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the intel!

Do they allow atvs etc out there?

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough