collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mill Creek Watershed info?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Mill Creek Watershed info?
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:17:12 PM »
Hey guys, I was curious if anyone out there had details on the rules for bringing in a partner for your hunt and pack out.
Also does anyone know if you can bring out elk sheds if you happen upon one? Can your +1 pack a pistol? I remember seeing on here somewhere that you can't be seperated either for any reason... Thanks for all the help!

Oh and does anyone have pics of what the area looks like? A buddy of mine and his dad both drew tags for late October.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mill Creek Watershed info?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
Somebody has to have some info, c'mon guys. I'm getting conflicting answers from people

Offline NWWA Hunter

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, DU, MDF, SCI
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »
It is steep. My buddy had a tag years ago and I remember it was steep but I was down looking into there last weekend and it looked worse than I remembered. If I remember correctly there are no pistols allowed or any firearm on the other party. Also no collecting of sheds or harvest of anything other than your elk tag. I could be wrong but that’s what I remember. It is a special hunt place that we are allowed to hunt. It’s not the same as other public lands.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fetc.usf.edu%2Fclipart%2F41700%2F41722%2Ffc_line_41722_lg.gif&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tes.com%2Flessons%2FpzaM67lS-9hqew%2Fpoints-line-segments-lines-angles-and-rays-3-15&docid=_ka_gmRmGcY9ZM&tbnid=FC70n_ClxHLVZM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjovOrPj53dAhVPSq0KHauEAd0QMwjOASgAMAA..i&w=791&h=1024&hl=en-us&client=safari&bih=553&biw=375&q=picture%20of%20a%20line&ved=0ahUKEwjovOrPj53dAhVPSq0KHauEAd0QMwjOASgAMAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take your kids into the outdoors. They are our future. Support conservation by joining and participating in future through NRA, SCI, RMEF, Wild Sheep or any of the other great organizations.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 01:22:29 PM »
Seems I remember several discussions about that area in the past. Cant seem to find any of the old threads ?

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »
I know the area and the terrain quite well actually. My wife's family has been in the area for 100yrs and they have a cabin up above Ski Bluewood in the Wenaha. It's an awesome area. I want to have an idea of the guidelines that the ranger gives you in advance before I get there. Just to be better prepared. I heard they give you a little pamphlet even with rules and such... :dunno:

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »
I think PA Ben had the tag last year or the year before. Good luck, I want to get in there myself sometime!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 01:01:03 AM »
I’ve hunted the unit 3 times. They didn’t send you paperwork on the hunt? All of your questions should be answered by the paperwork they send. One of the toughest hunts in the state
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
My wife's brother and father got drawn. They know the area well. I just have heard 6 different opinions on what the rules are and was.curious if maybe it changed recently or if people are misremembering... Thanks guys

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
One person to accompany the hunter during the hunt and up to 3 people to come in and help after the animal is down.  These are new rules for the past few years.  It used to be no one but the hunter during the hunt and only one person to come in and help after the animal was down but they modified it for practical and safety reasons.  They should have already received a packet from the game dept with all the rules and regulations that are specific for the Watershed.  As far as a picture goes, I don't currently have a picture of HELL!!!!  Ive hauled a few out of there crawling up mountainsides on my hands and knees with 60 plus pounds on my back!!!  Getting the head and cape out is the absolute worse!!!!  Good Luck!!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:00:18 PM by dvolmer »
Zonk Volmer

Offline EKU

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
I don't think my permit addressed shed hunting or carrying a pistol. I would think you can do both. The patrol guy told me not to get caught over the fence before the hunt or he would pull my permit. So I wouldn't be doing any scouting over-the-line.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
I don't think my permit addressed shed hunting or carrying a pistol. I would think you can do both. The patrol guy told me not to get caught over the fence before the hunt or he would pull my permit. So I wouldn't be doing any scouting over-the-line.

I would bet money you can’t have a pistol in the unit if you don’t have a tag. If you are the tag holder, it wouldn’t be a problem obviously. I haven’t been in there since 2005 and I know the rules have slightly changed. Definitely for the better. I drew the unit in 2004 when I was 16 and I couldn’t take even my dad with me on the hunt. Back than, only the permit holder could go in during the hunt but once you drew blood you could bring only 1 guy in at a time to pack. Really nice they have changed those rules. Was a very intimidating hunt for me when I was 16 and opening day there was 2.5 feet of snow on skyline. Stay alert! Abel Garcia may pop out of the brush at anytime haha
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:07:10 PM by JWEBB »

Offline EKU

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »
I just read my permit, it says (The person accompanying the permit holder may not carry a rifle).  So I read that as you can carry a pistol.  It does not say anything about picking up sheds.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 10:06:14 PM »
I just read my permit, it says (The person accompanying the permit holder may not carry a rifle).  So I read that as you can carry a pistol.  It does not say anything about picking up sheds.

I would just call wdfw and double check.  Don’t wanna risk anything
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:21:30 AM by JWEBB »

Offline firefighter4607

• Sourdough
    • My Elk Story (picture of elk on my Avatar)
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
PM Sent LDennis

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
you can pick up sheds

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 06:07:22 PM »
Long story short, my dad was with me in the shed and spotted a masher shed below is on a rock ledge.  He crawled down to get it and the shale edge gave way and down he went.  Broken ankle, 3 miles DOWN from the truck.  Couldn’t get a chopper anywhere close or we would’ve.

Moral to the story: keep your eye on the prize, plenty of time to pick up sheds in the Spring.   :chuckle:

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
Long story short, my dad was with me in the shed and spotted a masher shed below is on a rock ledge.  He crawled down to get it and the shale edge gave way and down he went.  Broken ankle, 3 miles DOWN from the truck.  Couldn’t get a chopper anywhere close or we would’ve.

Moral to the story: keep your eye on the prize, plenty of time to pick up sheds in the Spring.   :chuckle:

Oh you could get a chopper right there! Sounds like someone didn’t wanna do their job. Can’t land but can repel. Been there done that

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
I don’t recall saying exactly where we were?  It wasn’t my call and no, they didn’t want to repel.  The route we got him out was best suited for not only the situation but weather; one of those nasty days only the shed can produce it seamed.  It was
a circus, a day I won’t soon forget

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »
I don’t recall saying exactly where we were?  It wasn’t my call and no, they didn’t want to repel.  The route we got him out was best suited for not only the situation but weather; one of those nasty days only the shed can produce it seamed.  It was
a circus, a day I won’t soon forget

Ha yeah I know you didn’t say your exact location obviously. Just saying I’ve been in a similar situation over there in the worst possible spot you could imagine. Shed is a fun one. Hiked the unit many a time

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 06:47:03 AM »
Not in the water shed

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »
Not in the water shed

Figure of speech

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]