collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .308 ballistics question  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Yondering

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: .308 ballistics question
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »
From a bullet weight perspective....no the 15 grains difference won't make a difference out to 100 yards.  Now....... different bullet, different powder, rifle like or dislike......those favtors make all the difference in the world.  Same holds true with same weight bullet with different box ammo manufacturers.......gun may like one and not the other.  Go shoot them and make sure it shoots well.  Easy....fun.....and most importantly most ethical for the deer you want to hunt.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Lots of guys congratulating this comment that got the most significant factor wrong. 15 grains of bullet weight difference absolutely can make a difference in point of impact at 100 yards, even if all else is equal. That's not because of the difference in trajectory, but the difference in barrel time when the bullet exits, as Bill W said.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 09:30:51 AM »
Yondering, I can't speak for the rest of the folks, but to me the difference in the barrel harmonics was covered in the "rifle like or dislike" part of jrebel's comment. 

The overall point, I think, is that it's not the single variable (weight) that's important, but rather the simple fact that it's different ammunition, and you should always verify after an ammo change. 

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »
Yondering, I can't speak for the rest of the folks, but to me the difference in the barrel harmonics was covered in the "rifle like or dislike" part of jrebel's comment. 

The overall point, I think, is that it's not the single variable (weight) that's important, but rather the simple fact that it's different ammunition, and you should always verify after an ammo change.

And yet, that difference in weight is generally the biggest factor contributing to change in point of impact. Don't marginalize the most important detail, as jrebel did.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 02:41:46 AM »

And yet, that difference in weight is generally the biggest factor contributing to change in point of impact. Don't marginalize the most important detail, as jrebel did.

Some people just like to argue ......  LOL.

No one marginalized anything......you are over analyzing what I said.  The fact is, if you change something..... anything.....you should verify POI......PERIOD.   Any one factor can change POI.   Bullet weight (15 grains)......all else being equal.......will not be enough of a weight change to drastically effect a rifles POI at 100 yards.  I can prove it if you want but you have to buy the powder ......  LOL!!! 

Cheers

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
Bullet weight (15 grains)......all else being equal.......will not be enough of a weight change to drastically effect a rifles POI at 100 yards.

That is absolutely wrong, and it's not overanalyzing anything to say so. Go prove it for yourself, I've already seen it plenty of times. It doesn't have the same effect in every rifle either.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
Bullet weight (15 grains)......all else being equal.......will not be enough of a weight change to drastically effect a rifles POI at 100 yards.

That is absolutely wrong, and it's not overanalyzing anything to say so. Go prove it for yourself, I've already seen it plenty of times. It doesn't have the same effect in every rifle either.

Like I said......some people just like to argue.  Liberal propaganda......pic a part of a quote and disagree......even though the overwhelming message is anything / any change can change POI......your killing me smalls.  Take a 22 mag and change bullet weights and tell me at a reasonable distance 50-75 yards it drastically changes poi!!  It won't.....

Note I am referencing your tactics as liberal propaganda not you......though I expect an argument on that topic too. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 08:45:45 AM »
I have one extreme example with my old 243 barrel. I shot 2 different loads most of its life
62gr Berger column and the 95gr vld
Both had very different poi. When zeroed for 95’s I decided to go hunt coyote and went out to adjust my zero for the 62’s which I hadn’t shot for a long time.  With no adjustment the shot hit 4” high and 6” right.  I thought I had a problem with my scope so I shot a 95. Dead center. Shot another 62 and same 4” low and 6” right with shots touching.  So I loaded up my 10 round mag alternating 95’s and 62’s.  I printed 2 nice groups one being centered and the other 4” low and 6” right.

Only thing I can think of was just an extreme difference in harmonics.  This is an extreme example and the most I have seen in my rifles but was very repeatable.   

You won’t know for sure till you try.  FWIW my new barrel has zero poi shift at 100 yards between 105gr and 115 gr vlds
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter