collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: anyone know if the DNR shooting ban is lifted?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline wackmnstackm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
anyone know if the DNR shooting ban is lifted?
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »
i need to sight in but cannot find any info on the shooting ban  :dunno: i plan to go to the triangle pit in Olympia.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: anyone know if the DNR shooting ban is lifted?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »
It's still on per their website.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
Not sure about west side.  But I spoke with the Naches Ranger District and the WA DNR office in Ellensburg regarding LT Murray and surrounding areas.  Everything over here is still shut down. 

Offline wackmnstackm

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:39:02 PM »
pointless over here its been major rain for days

Offline HookedOnQuack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
i saw a post on FB today that said the ban is to be lifted on Saturday

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »
Here ya go...

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 07:21:22 AM »
Please keep an eye out for suspicious activity in these areas.Prime for some losers to start fires again and blame firearms.

HOW MANY FIRES ARE STARTED BY TARGET SHOOTING?"  :bash:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 07:33:11 AM »
Please keep an eye out for suspicious activity in these areas.Prime for some losers to start fires again and blame firearms.

HOW MANY FIRES ARE STARTED BY TARGET SHOOTING?"  :bash:

yea when this came out i wrote a lengthy letter to DNR/WDFW on this topic... got a reply with statistics.. very few and no hard data on actual reason for fires. ( ie downrange sparks, vs shooter smoking litter or other fire sources... all smoke n mirrors by those who don't want us with guns anyway ....
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
Thank You Antlershed for the info.
I have a 16 year old boy that needs His target practice before the coming modern opener. He and I both pulled Doe tags for 505 and want to do the tags justice.
I have been watching the WDFW website nonstop with hopes to take Him out Sunday.
I took Him to the Blackdiamond gun club range but it was not the best environment for teaching. LOUD LOUD LOUD!!!!!! Good people just not what I want for Him. We worked on just getting used to the kick of the gun and not much else. Sunday We will work on shooting basics. He has shooting experience but not with a 270 or 30-06 only small caliber stuff until now.
I plan to Use My T/C blackdiamond XR with open fiber optics during the modern season to add to the challenge for Myself. Never taken an animal with black powder and I would like to check that box on My list. I guess I could use some practice too. LOL
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
Unfortunately common sense isn't that common anymore.  People shooting tannerite, FMJ ammo at steel, tracer rounds etc.  6 years ago a young kid at my work started a fire in the L.T. shooting tannerite.  Just this year the Mica Peak range in Spokane wasshut down due to a fire started by someone shooting tracers, even though they are not allowed at that range.

Lot of slobs out there too.  I shoot in an out of the way spot and it still gets trashy shooters right before rifle season.  Glass, boxes, pallets, cans, bottles, etc.  My kids and I clean hundreds of pounds of trash out of that spot every year.

Public land shooting is going to be no more inside a few years I'm certain of it.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
very true  :yeah:

Like i said earlier in this thread it is up to us all to turn in these people that break these laws and that are trashing the public lands.

Maybe we can have them trespassed by LEO for such things when they are caught.  :twocents: If caught on that ground again then they can go to jail for criminal trespass.

What is the penalty for using tannerite anyway?

FMJ ammo should also be banned from ranges and only kept for self defense.  :twocents:

"Boss of the woods"

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »
It was lifted as of today. Both DNR & WDFW land.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
Commissioner Franz Lifts Target Shooting Ban on State-Managed Lands
News Date:
SEPTEMBER 13, 2018
Read ContentStop
WILDFIRE RISKS CONTINUE IN SOME PARTS OF WASHINGTON

Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz is lifting the ban on target shooting on state-managed lands on Saturday, September 15, two weeks earlier than anticipated.

“Thank you to our target shooters for your patience and for taking precautions to reduce wildfires this summer,” said Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz. “I am pleased to announce that current weather conditions – combined with the great work of our wildland firefighters – mean we can once again allow recreational shooting.

“However, we have not seen the end of wildfires this year. We must continue to be cautious and do our part to prevent wildfires before they start.”

The ban was set to expire at the end of September, but due to an increase in humidity and moisture across some portions of the state, Commissioner Franz is ending the ban early.

Individual sites may have continued restrictions where fire risk remains high. Currently, all but five Washington counties remain in moderate to very high status. Therefore, the statewide burn pile ban, industrial burning ban, and ban on dispersed campfires remain in effect until further notice or until the Sept. 30 expiration date.

Recreational target shooters are reminded to be cautious and report any wildfires to 911 immediately.

Target shooting best practices
Target shooting is only allowed on DNR-managed land that meets specific criteria, which includes having an unobstructed, earthen backstop that can safely stop all projectiles and debris.

Target shooting is not allowed within 500 feet of a recreation site or structure and target shooters may only use manufactured targets. Never shoot across, along, or down roads or trails. Target shooting is permitted during daylight hours only, one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

Recreational target shooters are reminded to follow “Leave No Trace” practices and pack out all shells, brass, paper and other debris.

DNR Recreation and Wildfire Leadership
Led by the Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz, DNR manages 1,200 miles of trails and 160-plus recreation sites in 3 million acres of working forest state trust lands and 92 natural areas. DNR trust lands keep forests development-free, provide clean water, and generate revenue for public services and school construction. To learn more about recreation on DNR-managed lands, visit dnr.wa.gov/go.

Commissioner Franz and DNR staff are also responsible for preventing and fighting wildfires on 13 million acres of private, state and tribal-owned land. DNR is the state’s largest wildfire fighting force.

###

For a full map of county wildfire danger and DNR burn restrictions, visit fortress.wa.gov/dnr/protection/firedanger.

Lifted but doesn't say where its not lifted.  :dunno:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline screedler

• redneck nerd hybrid
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
If you're out of olympia why not use the range at evergreen sportsmen's club to sight in? I can't stand the triangle pit but that's after seeing some reckless folks out there. 

There's a pretty legit pit in the south of capitol forest I much prefer, you'll find it if you scan the DNR Capitol forest map and correlate that with satellite photos.

What all you hunt? I've been trying to meet like minded folks out of olympia, not many to be found.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:45:11 PM by screedler »
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 08:40:44 PM »
There are those that get kudos for helping answer questions like this because they are such great assets to the forum.Funny that members with questions like this one and others pertaining to OPPORTUNITIES for sportsman never get help from them.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]