collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colockum Zoo  (Read 28854 times)

Offline howlow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Colockum Zoo
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
My dad hunted the clockum  in the 60's and 70's said there were more camps and people than there are now up there
I wonder how crazy it must have been then if that was the case.  Anyone have stories from back then? 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »
My dad hunted the clockum  in the 60's and 70's said there were more camps and people than there are now up there
I wonder how crazy it must have been then if that was the case.  Anyone have stories from back then?
I imagine it was as crazy as much of the wetside back in 70's and 80's.  Stories could go on for quite a bit, really sounded like the wild west.  But....as crazy as the behavior was and having tons more people....it sure seemed like lots more elk were getting put in the dirt.

Offline jb101

• Tracker
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
Gamehunter1959:

Whatever happened to your big Dayton bull hunt you had a bunch of posts about last year? You left us hanging with the outcome....... :dunno:

I was not able to get anyone to come hunt with me. I didn't hunt and essentially ate 21 Quality Elk points.

:yike: :yike:

:rolleyes:.

If you would of posted last year about needing a partner I'm sure somebody would of tagged along.  Hell I probably would have if that was the case as I was laid off at that time last year.

I'm not on here posting much anymore, but last year I was on here everyday posting, asking for help, etc.

I had 7 different people lined up to help me out. 5 of them are regulars on HuntWa. It went from "l will help you out if you get drawn" to "Let me check my schedule, now that I know you were drawn." to "I will be in the area. If you get one down I camped on 1313 Mocking Bird Lane." "Come get me and I will help you pack it out."

I wish I could say I was un-prepared, didn't make an effort, etc. I was in the GMU scouting from June until it opened. I had maps, spoke with the Biologist, spoke with the Archery hunters after going from camp to camp, same with the Muzzy hunters.

I have NOBODY to hunt with this year either. Bought my elk permit, but never went this year. I probably won't attempt to elk hunt anymore.

I know how you feel.  I'm 65 and  have hunted solo for most of my life.  At a certain point it gets really old, and hunting becomes something you do because you've always done it, not because it's as enjoyable as it once was.  Good hunting partners are hard to come by and as you get older, the pool gets smaller and smaller. I almost had to flush an Idaho OIL Unit 70 moose tag because  the few hunters I know couldn't pull away and I suffered a lack of confidence in retrieving  and animal that large by myself after 2 unsuccessful trips.    Fortunately, after a bunch of networking, I put together a plan that should work....but it was close.

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »
Is there a specific reason as to why you don't try solo elk hunting?

I was always taught to hunt with a partner. This way you can watch over each other in case one falls a breaks a leg, blows out a knee etc. I have some health issues which limit me. If I were to shoot an elk in a hole, it would be extremely hard for me to get it out on my own. I could do it, but it would be a huge task. Dayton is steep and deep country.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
I imagine it was as crazy as much of the wetside back in 70's and 80's.  Stories could go on for quite a bit, really sounded like the wild west.  But....as crazy as the behavior was and having tons more people....it sure seemed like lots more elk were getting put in the dirt.
Probably why it's been spike only on the Eastside for the last 25 years.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2018, 12:41:35 AM »
Is there a specific reason as to why you don't try solo elk hunting?

I was always taught to hunt with a partner. This way you can watch over each other in case one falls a breaks a leg, blows out a knee etc. I have some health issues which limit me. If I were to shoot an elk in a hole, it would be extremely hard for me to get it out on my own. I could do it, but it would be a huge task. Dayton is steep and deep country.

:tup: in scenarios you described definitely need a partner.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
Gamehunter1959:

Whatever happened to your big Dayton bull hunt you had a bunch of posts about last year? You left us hanging with the outcome....... :dunno:

I was not able to get anyone to come hunt with me. I didn't hunt and essentially ate 21 Quality Elk points.

That's a really disheartening outcome. I dont even know you, but if I would have known you wouldn't have even hunted because of lack of a partner and essentially ate 21 pts, I would have taken a week off and made it happen for you.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
Gamehunter1959:

That's a really disheartening outcome. I dont even know you, but if I would have known you wouldn't have even hunted because of lack of a partner and essentially ate 21 pts, I would have taken a week off and made it happen for you.
That is a real bummer, you should have asked on here, lot of good people would have helped in a second.  Sorry to hear
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »
Gamehunter1959:

That is a real bummer, you should have asked on here, lot of good people would have helped in a second.  Sorry to hear

That does suck. I would have tried to help for a few days
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Online teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2018, 04:48:22 PM »
Gamehunter1959:

:yeah:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
A little late, but yeah I’d avoid that area like the plague it’s a zoo and a half!

Offline cb1989

• Tracker
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »
\ and slam your door before bugling 10ft off the road. :IBCOOL:

haha - man I was sitting up on a hill in Umtanum this past weekend laughing to myself, either a big ol bull that just woke up from a coma is down on the road stopping traffic or these dudes are actually ripping bugles from the road in December.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]