collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What the heck?!  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
What the heck?!
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »
Okay,
   So last year I scored on my first archery bull and was super stoked. So this year I go into the season with a little more confidence.
    I’m hunting the SW coast of WA and can’t muster up a bull to save my life! I’ve been out since opening morning and can’t find a one! I’ve been in the timber (a lot), I hiked  6 miles up a creek bottom the other day and hunted 6 miles back out and didn’t see anything! I’ve tried all kinds of calling and can’t even get a response ( except for the 4 dudes I called in last night). I’ve glassed clear cuts in the mornings and evenings, I’ve just been silent all day and crept around logging roads and timber all day. STILL NOTHING!
  So far I’ve glassed up 3 cows, one calf and a spike one evening in a clear cut and a few deer here and there and that’s it... I’ve been out from well before sun up to waaaaay past dark,  out all day! I’ve tried multiple closed gates here and there and still notta.. it’s not for lack of effort, it must be something fundamental I’m doing wrong. Everyone I’ve talked to out here says “ oh we’ve been into em everyday, just not the right one or just couldn’t get close enough for a shot”.. seriously?! I’ve been out here over a week now and can’t even find a bull!!
  So can someone help a brother out and explain what the heck I’m doing wrong? I just can’t figure it out?!  I’m in the wood all dang day! I’m not a bad caller, I’m covering ground, I’m hunting all types of terrain, I’m calling , I’m silent listening for calls, I’m mindful of the wind, I’m in areas where elk are! Dude camped next to me  just came in with a big ass bull this morning and was like, yeah we’ve been seeing em every day.. whaaaaaat?! I’m about to loose my mind!
   So what’s the secret?! If it’s that secret feel free to PM me, but honestly, I’ve never hunted this hard for ZERO results (other than I’m in the woods and not being nagged by anyone and I’m not at work)! Lol.. I finally drew a MS elk tag and don’t want to waste it. I’m coming back out for muzzy season ( with my bow) and I don’t want to come out and waste my time by doing the same thing I did this entire week and again not see anything.. any advice from you consistently successful guys?! Why do you guys get it done all the time and I can’t even find a bull ?! Thanks!

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: What the heck?!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Are you finding fresh sign?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
Sounds like the vast majority of MY elk seasons!!! LOL.  You are not alone.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »
Are you finding fresh sign?

Yes sir.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
Keep after it. When it does happen it’ll be quick. Be ready.

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:35 PM »
Check wind often, I started having more success when I payed closer attention to the wind, especially for elk. But sometimes you can do everything right and you just miss them by 100yards or a few seconds, whatever it may be. Just stay with it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
Sounds like the vast majority of MY elk seasons!!! LOL.  You are not alone.
Me too  :bash:
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
It's called hunting not killing.  Sometimes you find them and sometimes you don't.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »
Not that I've harvested an elk yet ,but this year so far with the elk in the area im hunting they're not vocal at all and me  just moving really slow through an area where I know elk are at and constantly checking wind has made difference for me in at least seeing our hearing them close by.  If your calling them and you got good wind and they're not vocal then just sit and wait they might come in quiet on ya. Good luck man stick with it

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! And I totally understand it’s hunting and not killing. I get it man! I’m not new to this, but to spend over 90 hours in the woods and not see a legal bull or hear a bugle (from an actual elk) or call one in silent just seems like I’m not doing something right.. that’s all I was asking.. just not sure if I’m making the same mistake over and over and just dont know what that mistake is?! I’ll never give up as I just love it too much, but I’d like to be/get better is all..

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
To put it simply:  there is no secret.  What works one day does not work the next.

Also, cows are tasty.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 11:18:16 PM »
If that's the jungle like area of that side, are you still hunting? pick apart every limb and tree brand and everything around you before taking a few steps. If it's sign you're seeing is it droppings or tracks? follow the droppings and or tracks if it's fresh.   :dunno:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline archeryfreak

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 12:10:05 AM »
We just dont have the numbers of elk that we should/used to.. My hunting partner and I were talking about that the other day how when we started archery hunting it was nothing for us to have 2-6 setups a day calling to bulls.. and now, in many areas,  your lucky to get that many close encounters all season.  Granted there are areas that guys have in their back pockets that still hold good #'s of elk  :chuckle: Hopefully the wolves dont get to be detrimental to the elk herds in the rest of the state as it seems I've heard of some our better areas are getting hit pretty hard by them. 
Just another squirrel tryin to get a nut!

Offline bwhntr350

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »
Welcome to the state that sells more tags than the number of elk that we have. Elk have paid the political price! $

I realize it is probably unpopular, but I really wish we would go to a permit system.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
Welcome to the state that sells more tags than the number of elk that we have. Elk have paid the political price! $

I realize it is probably unpopular, but I really wish we would go to a permit system.

So, first of all, not true. According to RMEF 2017 statistics, the estimated size of the WA total elk population is around 60K (https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Hanford_Reach/Wildlife_Habitat/Elk.html). The number of tags sold in 2017 is 58K. The really important number is that only 9.3% of hunters are successful, for a total of 5,465 animals taken last year. (https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2017/elk_general.php)

It's possible the elk herd is somewhat smaller since 2014 with hoof disease but the harvest number ratio is still quite small as compared to the general population.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]