collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First elk in the books  (Read 3550 times)

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
First elk in the books
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »
 Well  my brother and I where able to go out elk hunting last weekend and make some pretty awesome memories. Got too are 1st spot around 615 Am and hiked in too a spot that's had a small herd recently  . Myself am not really good at my elk calling skills so my brother took charge in doing majority of the calling. He  did some locators and we hiked around the area but never heard or seen anything.  Got back to truck around 930 and went to 2nd spot.  Right off the bat we seen fresh sign  that a small herd had come through earlier in morning.  So we hiked down a steep canyon and walked a couple miles back in there calling and glassing  with no luck and not a peep but a bunch of grouse getting our heart rate up a little :yike: so after a couple few hrs we headed towards the truck and after ar hiked back up ther steep canyon we where dreading my brother says heck with it I'm letting out 1 final locator and pulled out a completely different reed and let it rip.  Instantly another bull bugled back basically from an  area we walked by earlier , it was probably 300 yrds from where we'd walked but still , we walked right by and bugled in that area without a response.  So after we heard it we couldn't believe it lol the actually bugled again so we dove back down the canyon and toward the bull.  We got in the vacinity and started bungling and the bull was pissed.  We got to where we seen him though the maples and jack firs , he was ripping trees up and getting tangled up which was awsome to see.  He came to ther edge of a crk bottom where we were at and he was about 30yrds out but no shot was available.  I looked back and looked at my brother calling and he was having a hay day back there trying to tell that bull he was gonna have his way with his cows.  Well ther bull looked in the crk bottom and didn't see anything and turned around ams walked away but still bungling. So my brother said he's not coming down here to look for us so we need to go up to him. We climbed through the crk bottom and up to top abd seen the destruction of him tearing up trees.  I crept through the jack firs and found him in a patch of tall timber with his cows,  he was walking back and forth making sur the other bull (my brother) wasn't coming to get his cows.  The bugling went back and forth for probably 30 to 40 min away the edge of timber patch but he'd never presented a shot again.  Finally I got in a little closer but um  little did I know there was a cow probably 40 yrds bedded I didn't see and all I hear is my brother whispering in a loud whisper voice "there's a cow right in front of you looking at you" ...  I couldn't see the cow though from where I was at but luckily it just laid there probably thinking her bull had something under control lol  finally the bull just stood still looking back and forth 30 yrds out but wasn't in good view of me but my brother could see him but if it wasn't for a lonely huckleberry Bush he would of stuck him for sure.  Brother bugled one more time and it really got him going, he came across about 25 yrds with a small opening and it was now or never. I drew and shot and heard that sound that ive always watched and heard on TV after you hit a elk but the bull didn't even flinch ... so not really sure if I hit him or not so I shot again and and hit a limb that was beside the small opening and the arrow skipped off and hit him in the  head. I thought for sure I'd screwed up and missed the first shot because he didn't flinch.  The bull took off abd out of sight.  The cows stuck around so brother crept in closer to try and stick a cow but with the wind being perfect they all took off . We gathered outselves and gave it 30 min before we looked for arrow or blood.  Instantly brother finds an arrow that had blood all down the shaft so we knew the 1st shot connected . Started seeing blood with bubbles and within 100 yrds he was piled up.  Hi five's and hugs where plenty.  After we got to thinking about it we determined the cows could see the bull where he died ams once the bull tipped over the cows realized something wasn't right and got out of there. This hunt will be in our memories forever because of evertthing that happened and how evertthing came together, my first bull and brothers first bull calling in. I'll get my elk calling skills sharpened and call in his 1st bull for him next. 

Offline jwd7777

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: jwd7777
Re: First elk in the books
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
WELL DONE!!!!

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
Great job! Wish one of my brothers hunted just to make memories like that! Very cool and thank you for sharing it  :tup:

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
Congrats  :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 07:13:53 PM »
Thanks! Ive been blessed to have a brother that shares pretty much the same interests and he's my go too for hunting and fishing partners. 

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:38:46 PM »
Congrats!  Awesome first bull  :tup:
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Online redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »
Congrats on a nice first bull

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
Congrats ruttnbuck, definitely was a fun and memorable hunt. The best part other then you killing him was watching him display himself to his cows and trying to intimidate the intruder (us).. such a impressive and amazing animals elk are.. So happy for ya man, it was just as fun calling in my first elk as it was you shooting your first bull. 👍
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:20:15 AM »
Congrats ruttnbuck, definitely was a fun and memorable hunt. The best part other then you killing him was watching him display himself to his cows and trying to intimidate the intruder (us).. such a impressive and amazing animals elk are.. So happy for ya man, it was just as fun calling in my first elk as it was you shooting your first bull. 👍

Heck ya man!! Can't wait too call one in for you.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »
Congrats to both of you. I know you put in the work to get this bull, especially the pack out!

Offline crazyantler

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »
Great job. 

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
cool stuff!!!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
Good work guys! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
Well done  :tup:

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1