collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 336, 340 fires and kills?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline pawpaw1934

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
336, 340 fires and kills?
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »
Spent the last few days in the 336 and over in the 340 areas. Very few animals either around or hanging. Camps had fires even though I think the burn ban is still on...lots of green grass so maybe it doesn't matter. Talked with many who things the wolves are effecting the animals behaviors and movements. Anyone there have thoughts?

Offline WAElkhunter89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live
Re: 336, 340 fires and kills?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:04:06 PM »
Hopefully 340 isn't as bad as you say. Have a while yet before MF for elk, but hoping we see some animals in our area. Granted, it has been pretty far and between for elk the past few years where we hunt in 340. Guess we will see this year.
Ain't nothing better than the adrenaline you get when seeing an animal in the wild.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:12:56 PM »
I saw plenty of animals in both units last week. They are there

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
People will always ignore burn bans, which pisses me off to no end. 

People will always blame their inability to find animals on wolves.  We don't even have wolves in the Yakima Herd's area (yes, I know some will squawk about this statement) and people still blame them. 

There are lots of elk in 336/340.  Good luck! 

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »

People will always blame their inability to find animals on wolves.  We don't even have wolves in the Yakima Herd's area (yes, I know some will squawk about this statement) and people still blame them. 

Yes there is.

If there wasn't wolves, I wouldn't have seen pictures from the 340 last rifle season, tracks on devil's slide, wolves in the bumping, and numerous pictures on ex co-workers cameras.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »
Like I said...   :chuckle:

I don't doubt that they wander into the area occasionally.  I've heard howls myself SE of Rimrock Lake.  But to say the quality of the elk hunting being impacted in this area?  Nope.  Not buying that. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
Burn ban was lifted in Yakima county (private), but still on for State DNR lands.  Not sure what the feds have going.    Wolves certainly change behavior of the elk, and eventually the population.  I havent seen much effect down here yet.    NE corner is a different story.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
 :yeah:

just a few years ahead of your schedule. 
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »
Just to be clear: I'm not saying wolves don't affect the elk's behavior and hunting opportunities in general.  I just mean to say that the Yakima Herd is not being meaningfully affected by wolves right now, but that doesn't stop folks from blaming them for ruining their hunting. 

Offline pawpaw1934

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »
Back up in the area today...lot less camps. Not to be expected.  Very few animals again. They may be around but not as visible even at dusk as in the past. Talked to both FS and WFWD folks. Interesting for sure....FS says there are clearly wolfs in the 340 and 336 areas. WFWD folks say there are none.  FS guys say they have no dog inthe fight so they can speak freely.....Fish and Wildlife are not allowed to discuss. Im not sure what is the truth. Hopefully there will be more sign in a few weeks.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
Just to be clear: I'm not saying wolves don't affect the elk's behavior and hunting opportunities in general.  I just mean to say that the Yakima Herd is not being meaningfully affected by wolves right now, but that doesn't stop folks from blaming them for ruining their hunting.

You’ve definitely been clear. Doesn’t necessarily mean you are correct.

In the years that wolves really began to establish in the NE units, elk numbers hadn’t changed much but the elk hunting definitely had. Now numbers are down and so is hunting them.

Not saying you’re wrong because I have barely elk hunted 300 gmus. If memory serves, you’ve only lived there a few years. You’ve taken some spikes which is cool but it doesn’t really make you resident expert and maybe just maybe those “transient wolves” are having an impact on hunting. At any rate it’s a moot point because soon there will be plenty more. Good luck!
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 11:25:09 PM »
People will always ignore burn bans, which pisses me off to no end. 

There are lots of elk in 336/340.  Good luck!
How many years have you hunted the Yakima elk herd? I think I know the answer, and I'm pretty sure it's less than a few. Not to be rude, but don't come into a thread stating something as fact when you really have no idea what you're talking about and in all reality have minimal experience at most. Do people blame wolves on their un-notched tags more than they should? Probably. Are there resident wolves in the Yakima Herds range? 100% yes. There has been for several years now. There's still some elk in those units but even the wdfw has publicly stated that the population is near record lows due to several factors. Wolves certainly don't help increase game populations in the areas they live.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »
Elk numbers are lower than target goals in the yakima gmu's because for a 3 year cycle WDFW was giving out thousands of cow permits along with otc cow seasons for archery (due to record high elk numbers) and then 2016 our critters got POUNDED by mother nature! 

Take manastash, cowiche, and unptanum for example.  During most of the hunting seasons those are all resident elk.  They dont get migratory animals until we get snow.  So when you have 400 rifle tags, 350 muzzy tags, and  general archery, you are hammering your local populations.  Then pound them with the worst winter since 1996 and of course its unsustainable.   

I'm a wolf skeptic myself.  They are definitely in the tearaway and colockum and I have a reliable source about a few that were running around the manastash last winter but everyone knows someone with game cam pics but somehow they can never produce them.  The few I've seen were coyotes or a fox.  Usually comes down to lots of folks are just full of crap  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Cootkiller

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »
Archery hunted 336 last year, saw plenty of wolf sign.  Walking into a high meadow and the road is covered in large canine size crap and had a wolf come to my calf call.  I know some of the skeptics will say it was probably a coyote, but I saw it less than 20yds from me and my 11yr old son several miles from any road.  We beat feet out of there.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
Came across my first set of wolf tracks last year in 336 in the snow. Comically large feet so feeling positive it wasn't a coyote. Also noticed the animals were a lot more on edge than normal but found usual numbers and even had an opportunity at a spike before he got spooked by another group of hunters (about a mile across a canyon which speaks to my on edge observation). I didn't spend alot of time up there this year but I'd bet the elk are still in the same hidey holes. I'm not hunting it this year so good luck to you that are.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]