collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Well I don’t need to worry about a base for now  (Read 3615 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Well I don’t need to worry about a base for now
« on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »
This will be my 2 nd time with vortex warranty, 1st time with something that wasn’t my fault.   Remove my elevation cap and my turret falls off.  Just the cap really.  Sent them an email tonight.  Guess it’s back to the trusty 243 for hunting.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Well I don’t need to worry about a base for now
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
That looks about right for vortex. A crappy product backed by an excellent VIP warranty.

Sent my truck binos back in for repair again today... For the 5th time.

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
After I had one take a crap on a hunting rifle I vowed not to use for hunting again. I don't give to *censored*s about the warranty if i have to use it frequently.  I still have a spotter and a range finder I use.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
This is my 4th viper. Never had a problem till now other than the crossfire II I fell on ice and bent it. 260lbs is a bit much for a scope to stop.      I almost think this stock is to blame. I hate this thing! It’s a black hawk axiom and has recoil reducing springs in it. Has pretty good vibration to it and a bunch of hop to go with it.   I bought it when I was green cause it was cheap and had adjustable length and cheek. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
After I had one take a crap on a hunting rifle I vowed not to use for hunting again. I don't give to *censored*s about the warranty if i have to use it frequently.  I still have a spotter and a range finder I use.

I don't get it. So many people stroke vortex for their warranty when so many manufacturers have decent warranties nowadays and better glass to boot.

I guess they don't consider the fact that the amazing vortex VIP warranty(or any warranty really) doesn't cover the ruined hunt the optic causes... but yeah, love that warranty!  :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
Ive used the vip warranty on each vortex product I’ve ever owned. Only one left and hopefully I can afford an upgrade soon.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
I have had three vortex scopes to back to vortex within a week, some took 2 months to get back! This was 8 or so years ago. I swore off Vortex, as of several years ago. I purchased two 4-16 and one 6-24 Viper HS-T’s. I have not had a issue with any of the three. They track well but their clarity sucks compared to other optics I have but I consider the $400.00 price tag and feel they are on par with the price.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:59:37 PM »
I've never had a problem with my vortex scopes, 3 diamondbacks. I've heard of more problems with the viper line than anything else. More companies are have changed their warranty to compete with vortex. I'll keep using what I've got, but I'm by no means locked into a brand. I've got Nikon and Bushnell optics as well.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:41 AM »
Parallax adjustment on my PST turned into a fidget spinner last year. Suck

Viper HD Spotting scope turned into a blurred piece of junk mid-hunt this year.  That's always nice when in open high country. Double suck.

I keep a Diamondback floating around for this or that but I won't buy anymore Vortex scopes.  VIP Warranty is neat but not as neat as not needing it.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
I've never had a problem with my vortex scopes, 3 diamondbacks. I've heard of more problems with the viper line than anything else. More companies are have changed their warranty to compete with vortex. I'll keep using what I've got, but I'm by no means locked into a brand. I've got Nikon and Bushnell optics as well.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

I never had a problem with my Vortex scopes either but also only own a couple of  Diamondbacks.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:21:07 AM »
I have a viper and diamondback scope, both are problem free and not treated overly well on my part.

Talon binos went back once for a loose eye cup, back in 7 days in perfect condition.  I use them for turkey, deer, elk and duck so they see a ton of use and abuse.

Razor spotter has been trouble free.

Rangefinder went back once in 6 years and they sent a new one in about a week.

I have lost covers and straps and they have always just sent replacements quickly without any questions.

Overall, I'm happy and think they are a great value at the price points.  I would switch if I thought there was a better deal, I don't have hardly any brand loyalty these days.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »
Seems you have to get up into the Razor line of Vortex before they're consistent and good, but at that point, I'd rather buy a NF.  As Biggerhammer mentioned, the HS-T is a fairly decent scope for the money but the optical quality is well below their Razor line.  I have a couple Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 scopes that have extremely good optics and make for great scopes in that magnification range, particularly, if you're looking for something with great optical quality and is still fairly light weight.  They track well, but the clicks could definitely be more positive, they're a little to mushy for my liking. 

I have a HS-T my dad gave me awhile back.  It's been sitting on the shelf because I haven't had anything I wanted to put it on yet but I've been thinking about getting one of those short barrel Rem 783's in, of all things, 6.5 Creedmoor and if I do, it'll likely go on that.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »
I may just sell all my vipers and go with the nightforce.  60 min just isn’t enough anymore.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
I may just sell all my vipers and go with the nightforce.  60 min just isn’t enough anymore.

If you do much dial up shooting, I don't think you will ever regret spending the extra money and buying a NF. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »

If you do much dial up shooting, I don't think you will ever regret spending the extra money and buying a NF. 

pretty much all my shooting is dialing.  Would like at least 120 min.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »

I don't get it. So many people stroke vortex Leupold for their warranty when so many manufacturers have decent warranties nowadays and better glass to boot.

I guess they don't consider the fact that the amazing vortex VIP Leupold warranty(or any warranty really) doesn't cover the ruined hunt the optic causes... but yeah, love that warranty!  :chuckle:
Fixed it for ya!
Been saying it for years.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »

pretty much all my shooting is dialing.  Would like at least 120 min.

Then you'll want the ATACR, not the NXS model.  I just bought a new NF ATACR 5-25x56 a couple days ago for a build I currently have that'll be finishing up in a coupe months.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 05:13:31 PM »
That is the one I want.   May have to sell a few more toys if I can’t find one used.  Just found a spot to shoot out to 2600 yards.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
I think the big problem is that we demand great glass at rock bottom prices.  There are those that make the $4k scopes which should be the best of the best, but in the $500 - $900 range, manufacturers have to make decisions to be able to put out a product that sells.  The warranty is a great way to cover any manufacturing issues as well as reluctance to buy new models before they are proven.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »
I think the big problem is that we demand great glass at rock bottom prices.  There are those that make the $4k scopes which should be the best of the best, but in the $500 - $900 range, manufacturers have to make decisions to be able to put out a product that sells.  The warranty is a great way to cover any manufacturing issues as well as reluctance to buy new models before they are proven.

turret caps and parallax falling off are pretty egregious and for $500-900 I'd like to think I can expect a scope to hold it together at least.

I agree that anybody who thinks just because they pick up a refurbed PST with a sweet a$$ sunshade shouldn't expect Swaro clarity or NF precision but that doesn't excuse the more basic issues with some of these products. 

I cover my products with warranty but I never ship something out expecting 30% of it to fail  :twocents:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 06:10:55 AM »
Well scope is “fixed” and on its way home

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
Well scope is “fixed” and on its way home

Excellent! As soon as you get it back, list it for sale and never look back. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]