collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eco-diesel Alert  (Read 18810 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Eco-diesel Alert
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
I’m not a deisel guy but is the green fluid floating above the dark deisel?
Or are they both unknowns?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
Did they pull a fuel sample? Usually should be step 1. No sense in fixing anything without at least knowing what’s in the tank.

Not sure, when I replaced filter it looked like pure diesel coming out of drain.   I got a decent trade-in on it as-is so drove home yesterday with a new one WITH an extended warranty.   They are going to replace the fuel system and tank and hope there is no engine damage they said but who knows - they may just clean the screen and auction it off

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
What are some of the more common contaminants to get in a diesel fuel tank? Just wanting to know what to look out for? I'm running a 2005 Dodge 5.9 and a 2003 Ford 7.3.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »
I’m not a deisel guy but is the green fluid floating above the dark deisel?
Or are they both unknowns?

The stuff on top is diesel fuel. The stuff on the bottom is unknown.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 12:54:07 PM »
Did they pull a fuel sample? Usually should be step 1. No sense in fixing anything without at least knowing what’s in the tank.

Not sure, when I replaced filter it looked like pure diesel coming out of drain.   I got a decent trade-in on it as-is so drove home yesterday with a new one WITH an extended warranty.   They are going to replace the fuel system and tank and hope there is no engine damage they said but who knows - they may just clean the screen and auction it off

Without a fuel sample, their diagnosis is pointless. Guess it doesn't matter at this point. I'd be willing to bet that problem wouldn't be covered under any warranty unless a fuel sample was pulled and shown to not be the cause.

What are some of the more common contaminants to get in a diesel fuel tank? Just wanting to know what to look out for? I'm running a 2005 Dodge 5.9 and a 2003 Ford 7.3.

The most common thing I've seen is gas. DEF, water, gas, and then the folks who don't know. Maybe bad fuel from a pump but that's super rare. More than anything it's gas. I had a construction company truck from the guys building the new 520 bridge that filled the same truck up with gasoline twice from the gas station. Almost $19k in repairs.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 01:23:40 PM »
Not that rare, it happened to me.  Bacteria feed on fuel somehow.  Bacteria poop builds sludge in tanks at stations.  Reason there is a filter on pumps the big rigs use..
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »
Not that rare, it happened to me.  Bacteria feed on fuel somehow.  Bacteria poop builds sludge in tanks at stations.  Reason there is a filter on pumps the big rigs use..

Oh yeah I've seen the bacteria thing too. Also in the older cab/chassis trucks we had the tanks delaminate on the inside. Crud from that clogs fuel filters, lack of fuel causes HP pump to fail. If it's a 6.7, replace the HP fuel system.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »

If you mean fuel quality from the pump is not that rare, I can tell you that I see on average 50 vehicles a day through here and couldn't tell you the last time I had a verifiable actual fuel quality issue as in bad fuel from a gas station. I've had a maybe here and there, but that's about it.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »

If you mean fuel quality from the pump is not that rare, I can tell you that I see on average 50 vehicles a day through here and couldn't tell you the last time I had a verifiable actual fuel quality issue as in bad fuel from a gas station. I've had a maybe here and there, but that's about it.
I work at a Toyota Dealer and would agree with this from the gas engine perspective.
Only know of a fuel station serving up water filled fuel once in 20 years of working on cars as a professional. 
Everyone in the area was aware of it, and every shop in the area had one or more vehicles in for the concern.
Fuel station payed for all of them. $$$$$$
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Eco-diesel Alert
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »

Have you algae tested your fuel tank?

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
No this was in 2007.  I put fuel in, noticed it was very slow so stopped at 5 gallons.  after about 15 miles I lost an injector it seemed.  We drained 8 gallons from tank.  Let bucket settle over night and 1/3 was milky slurry with chunks dunno.  Took it to shop.  They did full fuel system cleanse n confirmed cont. fuel.  Then replaced 2 more inj after I did 2 before.  Then claimed pcm was bad.  Did that next.  Then they claim uh oh dunno maybe pump?  I tool to a Diesel specialty and had other 4 inj done plus re install first 4 as precaution.  Ran perfect.  I confronted store owner 2 days after fuel was bought and I had drained crap out of my tank.  The Fuel techs had closed all diesel pumps and were cleaning them, told me it had been years since done.  The owner tackled me and fight(He wasn't winning) was on.  Police came gave me case # and took security cam tape as I requested.  When I call Prosecuter they informed me this had never happened, no case no tape no records.  Later found out Sherriff was buddy of store owner.  over $5k spent and lucky I never saw the guy on dark dusty road.  He was a crook and sold store soon after.  So ya things do happen.  Avoid back road low volume fuel stations and or run filter.  Wish I had then but I didn't know better.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
No this was in 2007.  I put fuel in, noticed it was very slow so stopped at 5 gallons.  after about 15 miles I lost an injector it seemed.  We drained 8 gallons from tank.  Let bucket settle over night and 1/3 was milky slurry with chunks dunno.  Took it to shop.  They did full fuel system cleanse n confirmed cont. fuel.  Then replaced 2 more inj after I did 2 before.  Then claimed pcm was bad.  Did that next.  Then they claim uh oh dunno maybe pump?  I tool to a Diesel specialty and had other 4 inj done plus re install first 4 as precaution.  Ran perfect.  I confronted store owner 2 days after fuel was bought and I had drained crap out of my tank.  The Fuel techs had closed all diesel pumps and were cleaning them, told me it had been years since done.  The owner tackled me and fight(He wasn't winning) was on.  Police came gave me case # and took security cam tape as I requested.  When I call Prosecuter they informed me this had never happened, no case no tape no records.  Later found out Sherriff was buddy of store owner.  over $5k spent and lucky I never saw the guy on dark dusty road.  He was a crook and sold store soon after.  So ya things do happen.  Avoid back road low volume fuel stations and or run filter.  Wish I had then but I didn't know better.

You can’t say you didn’t get your moneys worth on that tank of fuel!  Lol.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »
Ya it really sucked the $!  Poor mpg. :yike:  I ALWAYS run a good filter now..
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »
I was slacking on changing filter - may have contributed to problem.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
I was slacking on changing filter - may have contributed to problem.

How many miles since the last filter change?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand