collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: NE WA whitetail  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: NE WA whitetail
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
Just have a question about some of the campsites in 117, let me know if any of you have experience there. Thanks.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 10:35:15 PM »
Tag
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
always cracks  me up how every piece of state land is a zoo.. Somehow I can manage to hunt and very rarely see anyone

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 09:11:20 AM »
The northeast is home to most of the units with the highest deer harvest in the state. 121 and 124, usually the two highest producing deer units in WA both have large human populations but whitetail thrive in close proximity to humans. 117 is also very good and has more public accessible land than 121 or 124. Yes there are a lot of hunters in all of the NE, there are also a lot of deer. With whitetail it's not imperative that you hike for miles into roadless areas to find deer or even big bucks. I honestly think more whitetail live in close proximity to humans than in remote country, just hunt smart and find the little hiding spots other hunters miss. Almost all areas hold deer in the NE, just make sure you are hunting areas that are not posted, you should have a reasonable chance of taking a deer no matter what unit or area you hunt.

This talk about hunter density reminds me of another issue, the roadless and wilderness issue. If the state and USFS continue to reduce access by closing and/or removing roads, and by designating more roadless areas, you will see hunter density increase dramatically in the areas that can still be accessed by most hunters. This is one of the main reasons I support the current access and road systems that we have and oppose the creation of additional wilderness/roadless areas.

Another thing I'll mention, it seems to me there are only about half as many hunters during the early general season. During late buck is when we get the biggest influx of hunters from all over the state. We actually kill bucks the entire season, early and late, yes I have access to a lot of private land, but we also kill some of our deer on public lands during both early and late seasons. My personal largest whitetail was killed on public accessible land on the second weekend of the early season in an area that gets a ton of public hunting pressure, the tactic I used was to get back into the brushiest overlooked spot that most hunters were driving past on their way to hunt big logging cuts, I killed that buck at about 11am on a Saturday, he was with two other very large bucks that were all bedded down together. Additionally, if you want to hunt mule deer in the NE you will have to hunt during the early season, the late season is whitetail only.

Good luck, I hope some of this info helps.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
I’m  a pretty novice hunter but have spent some time up there.  I probably have more questions than anyone.  Public land can be pretty thick, a lot is close to roads so even when you think your “off trail” 4 wheelers go blasting by.  A lot of deer but finding a spot to pattern a buck constantly takes time and then come oct pressure will move them around. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen more animals on my 4 wheeler than I have walking. I lived there for 16 years.
More animals sure, but quality bucks I doubt. No offense.

There was no mention of quality bucks, so your answer is mute..
My bad.. “animals” it is ;) carefully on the hair pin turns, a lot of hunters out there.

No problem......
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]