collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help please - inconsistent accuracy  (Read 1787 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Help please - inconsistent accuracy
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:24:14 AM »
I went out today to do some quick target shooting using my CVA Accura V2.  I was using last year's Pyrodex 50/50 pellets, 100 gr. load with 1081 percussion caps, shooting off a gun rest on a table.  My first shot was a Powerbelt 245 gr copper which hit 1.5 inches up at 100 yards - exactly where I remembered sighting it in last season.  I mostly shot  Hornady SSTs last year, which performed virtually identically to the Powerbelts, but they both went out of stock locally so I picked up a pack of Barnes Spitfire TMZ Expanders (290 gr) late in the season last year and ended up just putting them away unused at the end of the season.

I finally took them out to try today, and after the first good shot with the Powerbelt bullet, I attempted to load the Barnes, and found that it was really tight in the muzzle of the gun.  I leaned on it with the ramrod a bit and advanced it about 5 inches, where it seemed to stick.  After really straining hard to push the bullet down tight, my first shot ended up a full 6 inches high.  I noticed on the package they recommended using a Barnes alignment tool to load the bullets (more money for the company), so I paid extra attention to how I placed the second one in the muzzle, and it loaded quite a bit easier this time, but still much harder than the Hornadys and Powerbelts that I am used to.  On my second shot, I paid extra attention to accuracy and felt that I made a great shot.  Upon examination, I found the second shot hit a full 8 inches low.   :dunno:

I forgot to grab my field cleaning kit when I left the house and I figured my results would only get worse if I didn't clean the barrel before shooting again, (so I was done for the day).  It seemed a bit pointless to proceed further anyways, after my first two attempts with the TMZs were so crazy.  My initial thinking was the Pyrodex pellets had taken on some moisture after being exposed to air all year.  Also, the heavier Barnes bullet should fly differently than the lighter ones I'd used previously, but I couldn't blame the crazy low shot on that.  The two shots with the Barnes TMZs were 14 inches apart and in my mind, I don't have a great reason why.

Anybody have an thoughts on my very inconsistent accuracy?  Many thanks!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Help please - inconsistent accuracy
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:51:06 AM »
 I don't like the Pyrodex pellets for at least that reason. But also with he Barnes bullets it could be inconsistent seating pressure. They are so tight its hard to get them the same.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:40:44 AM »
If it were me I'd get fresh powder and stick with the Powerbelts.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:54:49 AM »
The Barnes Spitfire TMZ bullets have a yellow sabot and are extremely hard to load.
Barnes makes a TEZ bullet with a blue sabot that loads way easier.

I have shot both and they are both extremely accurate.

I’ve killed multiple animals with the TEZ’s and they are devastating and hold together well.

Your issue sounds like a POI issue rather than accuracy and consistency.

Good luck.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 11:30:50 AM »
Thanks to all for you input.

If it were me I'd get fresh powder and stick with the Powerbelts.

Huntinccouple - Done!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »
I have never been able to get consistent groups with the pyrodex pellets. Loose powder is a different story.

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
If you wanting to give the Barnes a fair trial get some MMP HPH24 Sabots or some Barnes TEZ combo's and fresh loose powder.  The yellow Barnes 50cal is a HPH12 and the blue is a HPH24.  The yellow mic at 2k thicker, and could be all the difference.  The bullet is slightly different at the base, but swap bullets if you dont have other sabots.  Or if your super detailed.....like some freak shows...who just replied.   :hello:

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »

IMO 245gr PW is a very poor bullet for elk.  While they are accurate they will fall apart on elk.   Get the proper sabot for the bullet and some lose powder or new pellets.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]