collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Garmin delta upland Xc vs Dogtra 2702t&b  (Read 3477 times)

Offline GoBeavs85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Garmin delta upland Xc vs Dogtra 2702t&b
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
Will have 2 dogs this year for the first time so I need to upgrade my Ecollar. I would like to have a beeper ecollar combo. Most of the time the beeper won’t be used but if we get into a thick spot I would like to either hit the locate button and other times just turn the pointing beeper on from the transmitter.

Looking at the Dogtra 2702 or the Garmin delta upland xc. Thoughts on these or something better for what I want to accomplish? Reviews seem mixed on the Garmin and can’t find much on the Dogtra. Either of these two would be roughly $500 for transmitter and two collars. I don’t think I’m ready to go full gps tracking due to cost and not sure I would use it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duck1187

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
Re: Garmin delta upland Xc vs Dogtra 2702t&b
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:57:06 PM »
Ive owned a 2502 tb and the garmen delta upland xc i still have the 2502 my favorite collar i hated the garmen i only bought it because i needed to be able to run 3 dogs . I sold it and bought a garmen gps set up with 3 collars but i still perfer the simplicity of the 2502

Offline GoBeavs85

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:35:48 PM »
Will have 2 dogs this year for the first time so I need to upgrade my Ecollar. I would like to have a beeper ecollar combo. Most of the time the beeper won’t be used but if we get into a thick spot I would like to either hit the locate button and other times just turn the pointing beeper on from the transmitter.

Looking at the Dogtra 2702 or the Garmin delta upland xc. Thoughts on these or something better for what I want to accomplish? Reviews seem mixed on the Garmin and can’t find much on the Dogtra. Either of these two would be roughly $500 for transmitter and two collars. I don’t think I’m ready to go full gps tracking due to cost and not sure I would use it enough.

Thank you for the reply. I talked to a buddy this weekend that uses the 2502   Didn’t realize that’s the collar he used. He had great things to say about simplicity and reliability. Looks like I will go the route of the 2702. Basically the same as the 2502 with some updates.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
Absolutely LOVE our T&B! Had a line on buying another one and one soon will (our other one is 8 or 9 years old and the new pup chewed one of the collars and the unit off the dog this year. Still work but looks like heck (missing the light now) so a new one is ion our future and worth every penny!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
I haven’t used that model but have two other Dogtras and they have been great.  I did have one issue with the first that was promptly repaired under warranty.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Dogtra Pathfinder.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
cant speak to dogtra but have garmin and over coulees you can lose track on dogs gps.
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
I run the Dogtra Edge RT. If I go into thick cover or new area where I need the tracking I put on the Garmin 220 Astro with the DC 40 collars.
The Astro and collars can be picked up used for very reasonable prices.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
I have a low use edge rt if anyone wants to buy it. Dont like dogtra stimulation nor do my dogs. Back to Garmin 550's. Hate garmin collar straps. Thin pos junk but, collar and transmitter are supperior if you use them often
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »
I have that garmin collar...... bought it because my sport 65 collar wouldn't charge and I was going on a trip short notice. Garmin screwd the pooch when they bought tritronics IMO. They exchanged a simple design, added a bunch of nonsense features, made it difficult to operate if you have fat fingers/large hands, made it to switch levels while jostling around in a vest...... I scoured the Internet and found new replacement batteries for my TT 65 collar. I used the garmin collar one weekend , it's a horrible collar to me. Rates a second fiddle to worst ecollar ever made , worst was the innoteck 1600 I had in the late 1990s.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
You probably want this then.

https://g.premiumstore.com/details/386339/garmin-sport-pro-handheld-us.html

I have that garmin collar...... bought it because my sport 65 collar wouldn't charge and I was going on a trip short notice. Garmin screwd the pooch when they bought tritronics IMO. They exchanged a simple design, added a bunch of nonsense features, made it difficult to operate if you have fat fingers/large hands, made it to switch levels while jostling around in a vest...... I scoured the Internet and found new replacement batteries for my TT 65 collar. I used the garmin collar one weekend , it's a horrible collar to me. Rates a second fiddle to worst ecollar ever made , worst was the innoteck 1600 I had in the late 1990s.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 10:47:57 PM »

Dont know anything about that model but the 550 is as close to the TT as your gonna get.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal